The Dark Mod Forums

Gothic II Gold TC mod - The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos

Carnage

In my younger years Gothic I and II were the best RPG's for me, along with Morrowind. At the end of last year a total conversion mod was released for Gothic II Gold. It's called The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos and it was actually Mod of the year on MODDB. It features a completely new open world, improved skills systems, gameplay mechanics and complex story, and I think something like 30-40 hours of gameplay. I haven't tried it myself yet due to time issues, but I just wanted to share it here in case some people are interested. If anyone has played it, I would also love to hear their opinion (without spoilers ;)).

https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-chronicles-of-myrtana

• Like 1

I haven't played G2/NOTR in years but it used to be among my favourite games. I think I need to reacquaint myself, then have a go at this mod.

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

I think the story is 10 years before the one of the game, so apart from a few characters that you might or might not remember you don't need to know the story of the original game. There's also a DX11 mod that improves the visuals quite a bit and is supposedly compatible with this mod.

• Like 1

Gothic 2 is generally considered to be the peak of the series.

Or there's more consensus about how good G2 is, whereas Gothic 3 has more mixed opinions. I used to think about it as similar to Bard's Tale 1-3, but that's a pretty ancient example now.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

5 hours ago, datiswous said:

Is Gothic 2 better than Gothic 3, you think? I only played Gothic 3 for a while.

I thought G3 was a lot worse than G2.

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

6 hours ago, jaxa said:

Is this a standalone download because it's a total conversion?

No, you need the have Gothic 2 Gold Edition unfortunately.

7 hours ago, datiswous said:

Is Gothic 2 better than Gothic 3, you think? I only played Gothic 3 for a while.

Gothic 2 is indeed a lot better than 3, like thebigh said. There's a huge mod for 3 though that makes it a lot better than the original, not sure if you played it with that one. Gothic games can be difficult though and 2 is probably less forgiving than 3 and this TC mod continues along that path. Some areas or monsters are not meant for low level characters.

Edited by Carnage
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 5:00 PM, jaxa said:

Is this a standalone download because it's a total conversion?

It is standalone, but they made it in such a way that you need to own Gothic 2 on Steam or GOG, to be able to download it - the game itself though, does not require you to have G2 installed or any file form it, it is standalone and has everything it needs.

Some of my friend had already finished playing it and said it´s definitely worth playing.

Edited by Tarhiel
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tarhiel said:

It is standalone, but they made it in such a way that you need to own Gothic 2 on Steam or GOG

It seems to be possible, with a bit of extra work, to play it if you bought G2 on CD originally. That's good because I still have the original CDs lying around but I'm not going to buy it a second time on Steam.

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

On 2/18/2022 at 4:01 PM, freyk said:

Does this mod work with opengoth or regoth? (Maybe combine these engines with the mod assets)

A response by the developer to this question:

"As far as I know, OpenGothic is a reimplementation of ZenGin engine. All mods that use any form of reverse enginnering won't work with OpenGothic, ReGoth and other projects. Probably there are plans to make it compatible somehow with some mods but I don't think our mod will be compatible as it features too many new changes to the engine code. Anyway, if any help is required to make it compatible, we will of course discuss it with OpenGothic developers!"

• Like 1