The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Iris by WellingtonCrab [TDM 2.10 Required] (2022/02/13)

Wellingtoncrab

Iris - Connections Contest Scoring  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Story Quality and Theme (Stars)

2. 2. Gameplay Quality (Stars)

3. 3. Visual Quality (Stars)

Congratulations on the release of what seems like a damn near perfect mission. Still deep in it and loving it. I love the vertical scale of it and the 3 dimensional aspect of it is just awesome. 

• Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Well that was an exceptional level. Very challenging, even for experienced players. I have

no idea how you could ghost this. An awesome map and I loved every minute of it. Thank you :)

• Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

What an excellent and immense mission. On Expert I managed to get over 13,700 loot and the

Spoiler

"red sky" ending.

The thing that eluded me the longest was

Spoiler

the spy glass, I hadn't understood that some of the city watch liked to use acrobatics to get into their rooms!

I fluked the last digit of one lock puzzle, the

Spoiler

Three Monuments Hall.  The first two seemed to be on nearby statue inscriptions, but not the last one. 

It was also very late in the mission when I found the

Spoiler

Skeleton Key, which presumably would have allowed me to get my lock picks for free. 

Thank you, and well done!

• Like 1

@Marbrien thanks very much for playing!

Spoiler
  • Impressive run!
  • Yeah the spy glass seems easier to miss than I thought it would be - I actually hoped this would be the least challenging tool to find!
  • All the clues needed for the digits on the TMH lock are indeed on the map, but it is designed as you point out to only require two to solve
  • The skeleton key is place in such a way that I hoped most players who discover it would do so towards the end of a play through - many secrets, alternate equipment drops and short cuts hopefully make moving up the equipment progression and navigating the map smoother the more you play. I had originally hoped to make the opened shortcut gates persistent between playthroughs but doing something like writing to a map file is beyond me and who knows if it is even safe.

Thanks again!

Edited by Wellingtoncrab
Deleting trailing line breaks

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

On 2/20/2022 at 6:11 PM, Wellingtoncrab said:
  Hide contents

Well that is not good - no idea what would cause this, but there is custom handling with the combination locks and I wonder if this is breakable in some way. Though the fact it worked with the safes is interesting in that light. If you recall the codes you entered and don’t mind messaging them to me I can at least verify if they are correct.

Spoiler

I don't remember the codes. But i remember, that i just bruteforced the door code locks, while i easily found the combinations for the safes. I am pretty quick with my trackball and the number wheels react very fast. So while i carefully dialed in the safe combinations, i speed-clicked through all possible combinations for the doors and definitely overshoot first for both doors.
Maybe, the code locks have a chance of breaking when you quickly dial over the correct combination.
I consistently heard the door rumble every time, i dialed back to the correct combination. I also verified my brute forced combinations to be correct using the spoilers after reaching the plague ward exit to the abandoned mansion in the lower right corner of the start map, because i wanted to know whether there is some other condition to meet before i just call it a bug and noclip through.

All in all, it isn't a big deal. Writing robust code is pretty hard and i know how to noclip.

Found the cause for the doors not opening:

Spoiler

I have "open doors on unlock" set to "no" in the gameplay settings because i like to open doors carefully.
The code lock doors only open for players which have this set to yes (the default) because the command that would open them, is commented out in the script.

When you remove the two slashes in line 58 of scripts/tdm_simplenumberwheel_lock.script, that two doors should open for all players regardless of settings.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Wellingtoncrab said:
  Hide contents

Hmm ... interesting - While this fixes the issue when auto open on unlock is disabled, it now breaks it when it is enabled as the door will not open all the way. I am sure I messed this up rutting about the script originally.

Looks like doors have a spawnarg "open_on_unlock" set to "1" by default. That spawnarg is ignored for users with "open doors on unlock" set to "no". You could try setting this to "0" to make that unfrobable doors behave the same for all players.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wellingtoncrab said:

Iris now features "grammar" thanks to @Amadeuswho for reasons beyond me agreed to edit 106 pages xdata and the result is a much more readable experience

ahem, 116 pages, thank you very much :D Congrats on the update, though! Looking forward to checking out how you managed to improve a masterpiece

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I notice in 1.1 performance improvements generally across the map, roughly 10 fps better in the busiest areas and even 30+ in simpler interiors.

I think I've found a broken readable though. In the "Moonlit Manse" there's a spilled book with four pages to read. Three of them are fine, but when I frob the right-most page, the 2D sprite for the paper doesn't pop up, and I suddenly can't frob anything anymore, nor open my inventory window, or mantle up on ledges. I can fix this by reloading a save, and the bug is repeatable.

Spoiler

vqSotVZ.jpg

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Bluehawk said:

I think I've found a broken readable though.

Ah shoot thanks for the catch! Looks like one of the xdata names got tweaked when I was packaging everything up to be edited. The offending instance has been fixed, but I am going to check to .map file just to confirm all the xdata references still match.

Should have a hotfix up shortly and hopefully it's a small enough change saves will be compatible.

Edited by Wellingtoncrab

Hello, I've tested Iris hotfix 1.11, and it crashes with V2.10b8 32bits version : malloc error

(W7.32bits with 4Go ram and my graphic card has 2Go)

1 hour ago, Apiai said:

Hello, I've tested Iris hotfix 1.11, and it crashes with V2.10b8 32bits version : malloc error

Not sure whether 32 bit version of TDM is able to use more than 2 GiB RAM. So try the 64 bit version first. But huge maps like Iris may just not fit into 4 GiB either. So maybe, you have to upgrade...

1 hour ago, Apiai said:

Sorry you ran into the problem! It certainly sounds like a memory allocation issue based off the malloc error - I may down the line make a version with lower resolution materials which might make it conceivable to actually run, but I am not certain how good of an experience it will ever be on that kind of hardware.

1 hour ago, Apiai said:

Same advice here, use image_downSize options:

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Performance_Tweaks#Image_downsizing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I've already tried downsize options :

seta image_downSizeLimit "64"
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "0"
seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "32"
seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "32"
seta image_downSizeBump "1"
seta image_downSizeSpecular "1"
seta image_downSize "1"
seta image_anisotropy "1"
seta image_filter "GL_NEAREST"
seta r_bloom "0"
seta r_fboColorBits "32"
seta r_fboResolution "0.5"
seta s_useHRTF "0"
seta s_useEAXReverb "0"

I'm just surprised I can play Thief 4, Skyrim, Far Cry 3 for example but not some TDM maps...

Don't worry Wellingtoncrab, if one day I decide to buy a new computer, I'll play your mission.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Knockout Thief said:

All I get when trying this mission is a gray screen and an infinite load. If I error out, I have to delete the iris folder to get TDM running again.

Delete TDM shortcut, start installer, select get custom version, select 2.10, click REFRESH INFO, download, click recreate darkmod config and shortcut.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Knockout Thief said:

All I get when trying this mission is a gray screen and an infinite load. If I error out, I have to delete the iris folder to get TDM running again.

If it ends up it isn’t the TDM install seems like maybe there was an issue downloading the .pk4 given deleting it seems to fix the issue? Out of curiosity did you grab it from the in game downloader or a outside mirror?