The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Iris by WellingtonCrab [TDM 2.10 Required] (2022/02/13)

Wellingtoncrab

Iris - Connections Contest Scoring  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Story Quality and Theme (Stars)

2. 2. Gameplay Quality (Stars)

3. 3. Visual Quality (Stars)

Yo Wellingtoncrab.

I have been running this great map, thieving like a mad S.O.B.

I found a possible bug:

Spoiler

I came to this area near Percy's Potables, right next to the fortune teller machine.  I was clicking around this area by the triangle and acquired a bracelet thing for seemingly no apparent reason.  It wasn't visible, highlighted, or anything.  So, not sure what happened.

Just wanted to report this in case it was wayward forgotten treasure during map creation.

Bug0001.jpg.15c14476694bcf76ac5f22c7fd981d2e.jpg

Much appreciated.

cvlw

• Thanks 1

1. Dropping inventory items works fine until I try to drop the "Peculiar Lense" (of which I have 2). The game crashes if I try that.

2. Any other inventory item behaves as it should

3. Re-installing the mission and inserting my savegames folder doesn't solve the problem.

4. Tweaking the video configuration as per your suggestions didn't solve the problem.

New Stuff

5. I tried to find at what point things got corrupted by loading all my save games until I noticed the lense was in my inventory. Picking up the lense apparently did something, but it only affected that item. Eveything else seems to work fine.

I'm going to start the mission over and try to get to the lense item as quickly as possible to test whether picking it up repeats the problem. But I don't remember where I picked up either one of the lenses. Could you remind me where to go ?

Maybe the glasses stop working if you have 2 of them in your inventory? I dont know how robust their scripting is if it's called from 2 different entities.

If this should be whats causing it, a simple workaround would be to replace both glasses with a func_static model and give them a Response to frob the actual working glasses entity located in the blue room and make the other func_static glasses nonfrobable.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dragofer said:

Maybe the glasses stop working if you have 2 of them in your inventory? I dont know how robust their scripting is if it's called from 2 different entities.

Could be there is a way to foul it up, but I tested having two glasses in inventory quite a bit and could never cause an issue. I have some ideas on how I could stress test it a little more though.

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

I've started replaying the mission and already found stuff I missed. There are so many Bonus? Items to pick up, how do we know when we have them all? Is there a list somewhere (fan mission is TOO recent I guess).

Maybe a tally would have been nice. Ex) you found 1/10 items or 1/6 books, etc.

I tell ya, I hope someone does a Youtube Walkthrough of this mission and please make it in 4k. I wanna watch it in on the living room tv with 2 big buckets of All Dressed Popcorn & a 2L Coke.

• Like 1

In the words of the great poet Sir Mix-a-Lot, it's so... Big!

Fantastic mission, it's not just about the size of course, it's so well made, detailed and cohesive. Surely one of the best missions so far. Sometimes I'm a bit unhappy that TDM tends to be a bit less lighthearted and more serious than Thief, but how could I complain with missions like this. 

I'll probably go back at some point, I'm sure I've missed a lot. Got less than 5k loot, but still spent over 3 hours playing it. I don't have the patience to fully explore everything right now, so maybe a second playthrough in the future will provide even more than this one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CountMorillonite said:

I've started replaying the mission and already found stuff I missed. There are so many Bonus? Items to pick up, how do we know when we have them all? Is there a list somewhere (fan mission is TOO recent I guess).

Maybe a tally would have been nice. Ex) you found 1/10 items or 1/6 books, etc.

Glad to hear you’re back at it and I hope things have been going more smoothly! I think it’s a bit of projection of my own preferences there - you can’t help but do that a bit really trying to design anything - as there is a new secret system which I could potentially use to tally how many secrets the player had found and I considered doing that, but personally I never liked systems like this as it always kind of feels like converting exploration into a bit of checklist and makes you very aware of what you’re apparently not doing that the mission seems to imply then you should be.

There were a lot of explicit objectives and side objectives and I didn’t want players to ever feel like they hadn’t actually finished the mission when they were done with it. The mission will typically let you know when you have followed a thread all the way to the end, but it doesn’t try to compare your progress against any benchmark besides what you set for yourself. At least that was the philosophy there, whether it was successful in this regard is another matter.

1 hour ago, vozka said:

Fantastic mission, it's not just about the size of course, it's so well made, detailed and cohesive. Surely one of the best missions so far. Sometimes I'm a bit unhappy that TDM tends to be a bit less lighthearted and more serious than Thief, but how could I complain with missions like this. 

Thanks so much for playing! I am glad you enjoyed it! 

4 hours ago, CountMorillonite said:

how do we know when we have them all?

There is a plugin over here, it gives you your current stealth score, but also your loot and how much it is of total:

You have to copy it to your TDM folder and rename it to something without tdm_ in front, so for example z_loot_stealth_stats.pk4 . You can only use the plugin and start a new mission, in fact if you install this plugin, you cannot load any existing saves anymore.

loot.jpg.d6fd87f5cc80b53480a9f698ef88b815.jpg

Edited by datiswous

5 hours ago, datiswous said:

There is a plugin over here, it gives you your current stealth score, but also your loot and how much it is of total:

You have to copy it to your TDM folder and rename it to something without tdm_ in front, so for example z_loot_stealth_stats.pk4 . You can only use the plugin and start a new mission, in fact if you install this plugin, you cannot load any existing saves anymore.

loot.jpg.d6fd87f5cc80b53480a9f698ef88b815.jpg

I would love to have this, even if I had to restart a mission yet again. But I'm not finding it through any of the links above. Apparently there is an addon or plugin somewhere that you copy to your TDM folder making sure to rename it. But where is it?

Thanks. I didn't go far enough down the thread to find it. It works fine so far. As long as I don't try to play a savegame (game won't even load if I try that). Which means I'm going to re-start the mission a third time. But that's on me. I'm used to having to trash my save games every time a new version of DarkMod is released.

This was a very long mission. The glasses and the number codes were cool. I found out the one on the other area before getting the solution. :D I'm not a big fan of city labyrinths, because I have no idea where I am, so the notes about my location were useful.

• Like 1

I don't think there has been another mission that kept me playing it for weeks on end.  And even right up to the end I kept getting lost.

The scenario was a little morbid and depressing for my taste but the sheer amount of work that went into this was unbelievable and more than made up for it.  And I still haven't been able to get the alternate ending yet.  Hopefully one day.

I do have a question:

Spoiler

The door which the Inquisition are investigating - can it be made to work?  I suspect not, but that would be really cool.  Either way, the "space in between" was awesome and is almost the same thing anyway.

Anyway, fantastic work on this one.

• Like 1

@tapewolf

Thanks for playing and I am glad to hear you enjoyed your time with it! Yeah I do see a few comments about the mission being a bit of a downer, so I imagine that must be the case. Not necessarily intentional however.

Spoiler

As hinted by the inquisitors note there is certainly something off about the chamber, but it doesn't necessarily seem to be the door itself. What ever (or whom ever) The Heretic was trying to reach it seems they were perhaps a bit off target. It sounds like if you discovered "The space in between" however, you have the means already

To more explicitly peek behind the curtain:

Spoiler

As you might imagine I too thought it would rather cool to make the door into a portal - at one point I was doing this with a render to texture view and camera and using a teleportation script to move the player to and from a destination - this however never felt or looked as cool as it sounds. So there is still a secret to find there, you just move into the area in a bit more of a conventional manner. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Wellingtoncrab said:

@tapewolf

Thanks for playing and I am glad to hear you enjoyed your time with it! Yeah I do see a few comments about the mission being a bit of a downer, so I imagine that must be the case. Not necessarily intentional however.

Reveal hidden contents

As hinted by the inquisitors note there is certainly something off about the chamber, but it doesn't necessarily seem to be the door itself. What ever (or whom ever) The Heretic was trying to reach it seems they were perhaps a bit off target. It sounds like if you discovered "The space in between" however, you have the means already

To more explicitly peek behind the curtain:

Reveal hidden contents

As you might imagine I too thought it would rather cool to make the door into a portal - at one point I was doing this with a render to texture view and camera and using a teleportation script to move the player to and from a destination - this however never felt or looked as cool as it sounds. So there is still a secret to find there, you just move into the area in a bit more of a conventional manner. 

Thanks!   As it happens, one of the first things I did when I got the

Spoiler

spectacles was to see if that would make the door function.  So I very quickly did find that other doorway.

I also discovered at this point that you could make the inquisitors faceplant into the wall by quickly removing the spectacles after entering the other room.  Presumably you could trap them there too, but it definitely answers some questions I had about the effect of magic passages on NPCs.

You blew me away with this Wellingtoncrab! The whole mission is a work of art!! I've completed it but am going back in for a more leisurely nosy around, and to breathe in that almost magical atmosphere once more.. I swear I could almost smell the damp, cool night air therein! There is an absolutely astounding level of 'attention to detail' in every square metre of this beautiful level - and it is so huge!!!  If I had to score it out of a measily 10, it would blow right through its skull and into infinity!!

A massive thankyou to you, and all your contributors for your excellence, rare talent and generosity!!

• Like 1