The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Iris by WellingtonCrab [TDM 2.10 Required] (2022/02/13)

Wellingtoncrab

Iris - Connections Contest Scoring  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Story Quality and Theme (Stars)

2. 2. Gameplay Quality (Stars)

3. 3. Visual Quality (Stars)

Wow, this mission was truly incredible! I'm not sure if I ended up finding all of the momentos, but I love the feeling of mystery and putting the pieces of the world together. I also like the idea of this collective dream that people seem to have between the mossy gates and the white pyramid.

I have one big question though:

Spoiler

I'm currently running around with a red sky and my objectives have changed with a suggestion that I need to end the mission through death. Is this the only alternate ending? Am I missing some other big clue in order to put all of the pieces together? 

• Like 1

@Blueterran5Thanks for playing! Very glad to hear you enjoyed the mission.

Spoiler

It sounds like you did find all the mementos as it’s part of the conditions to trigger the occultation event (Though you should also have an accompanying objective completed). It sounds like you are on the right track as far as what to do next - though I don’t think in the context of the story the player can really “die”.

• Like 1

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

Any loose hints to the code for

Spoiler

the lockup safe at the precinct? I assumed there would be some info in admin. I did find the symbol using the glasses, but it just pointed to the lockup key which I already had, but that only opens the cells and evidence locker, not the safe. I thought perhaps there would be hidden writing on the wall in one of the cells, but no.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Klatremus said:

Any loose hints to the code for

Hide contents

the lockup safe at the precinct? I assumed there would be some info in admin. I did find the symbol using the glasses, but it just pointed to the lockup key which I already had, but that only opens the cells and evidence locker, not the safe. I thought perhaps there would be hidden writing on the wall in one of the cells, but no.

Spoiler

Yeah I feel it is a oversight there isn’t a good clue for where to go for this code in the admin building itself - Let’s just say Renwick who manages the books and accounts for the precinct has had a long day and is currently unwinding in one of Red Rook’s storied drinking establishments

What an outstanding mission, WellingtonCrab! I haven't played that many for TDM, but this is by far the best one. And compare to Thief, it is up there in my all time top 10. Just finished and got 13953 loot on the first playthrough. I think I found all the mementos (18), because I got a changed ending and I had to go on the forum to realize what I had to do. Rather grim, I must say. But I guess it follow the narrative of the story. The wording of the new objective really confirmed what I suspected throughout;

Spoiler

that the protagonist used to live in the forgotten house and that the picture is his wife or perhaps daughter. It only makes sense since he has the key to the chest there. His kids might be the ones drawn in red on the map also. Nice touch that.

A few questions:

Spoiler

Does the alternate ending only trigger if you get all the mementos? If so, for my ghost run I'd like to avoid this objective and instead return home, but I'd like to skip a memento that doesn't count as loot and that doesn't trigger any other new objectives. I think the only one that fits those criteria is the Cracked and Crooked Lens.

I could spot a scroll on top of a beam high up to the west in The Stacks. Is there a logical way to get up there to obtain it? Before I start lugging crates I mean, because I am stubborn enough to do that, trust me.

Also, I have made a loot list here. Before heading through town to scour for the remaining loot, can anyone spot any major areas I have completely missed by looking at that list? No direct spoilers, but if anyone sees obvious stuff not there and can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

This ghost run will be a handful, not to mention Supreme!

• Like 2

@KlatremusThanks so much for playing! I am glad to hear you enjoyed the mission!

2 hours ago, Klatremus said:

Hide contents

Does the alternate ending only trigger if you get all the mementos? If so, for my ghost run I'd like to avoid this objective and instead return home, but I'd like to skip a memento that doesn't count as loot and that doesn't trigger any other new objectives. I think the only one that fits those criteria is the Cracked and Crooked Lens.

Spoiler

It does require finding all of the mementos but it is also difficultly dependent - so it is possible to collect all them and not trigger the Occultation if you play on Nostalgia or Sorrow - though I suspect playing on the higher difficulty is also part of the ghosting experience. Unfortunately unless I have just forgotten I believe all of the mementos contribute some amount of loot score - the lens included. The quill I believe is the lowest value one at 1 gold. Perhaps I have messed this up as I did try and support ghosting as a play style but I admit to not being super well versed in the rule set (I am not particularly good at it myself) and the conflict didn’t occur to me. If you do have suggestions to better support the play style I would happily consider them for a patch.

2 hours ago, Klatremus said:

Hide contents

I could spot a scroll on top of a beam high up to the west in The Stacks. Is there a logical way to get up there to obtain it? Before I start lugging crates I mean, because I am stubborn enough to do that, trust me.

Spoiler

I am not sure I would describe it as logical, I certainly have never been able to make the jumps required myself, but I know it’s possible without crates as I had testers and players getting up there - that readable is just for those souls for whom seemingly no map can contain.

No don't ever change your mission to accommodate Ghost rules, that just makes the mission too easy. Us ghosters will figure out way around the problems, it's more fun that way. And yes you have to play on highest difficulty.

Spoiler

I just double checked, and the Crooked and Cracked Lens isn't worth loot, so that's the one I'll skip.

• Like 1

Grandiose in scale but mature in execution. Wellingtoncrab asks us to go and explore: take any direction and take your time, make what you want of your findings as the story slowly unfolds. No big challenges, no bombastic finale. Iris was one of the first missions I randomly selected when I started playing TDM and it got me hooked for days. I completed the main goals but kept coming back to this world for more, and more, and more. I sometimes wonder if this mission was but a dream...

Spoiler

I recall AI locked me out in the room you get access to after figuring out the riddle of the three statues. I had to get rid of nearby AI to prevent it from happening.

• Like 1

TDM Modpack 4.0

Spoiler

Found a bunch more loot! Basically ran through the areas again, looking up and wearing the glasses constantly. Found an apartment with 3 sisters (though they werent home) in Brewbower I had missed, plus some weird gems inside two homeless guys. They died when I took them, sadly. Also found a baptismal font secret in Grimkirk with more loot. Up to 14972 now. Quite happy about that indeed. I found at least 2 bird's nests with a ruby and a ring on my first run I think. Are there more nests than that?

Edited by Klatremus

Ok I finally got it all. Had to resort to the loot cheat for a few of the last items, mostly those devilishly well-camouflaged gray coins. I found a few loot errors though:

Spoiler

1) Two silver coins worth 2 each in the Burgage House are embedded into the table. It's in the room just inside the balcony on the west side of the building. There was some other loot on the table too, but I never found these two coins because, well... they aren't visible.

2) There is a coin on the musician's plate at the pub that is not worth any loot, but the game still registers its location. After taking it, it shows up as just 'loot' in the inventory, but doesn't add any value, plus the loot cheat still shows loot is remaining on the plate, even after I have 15102/15102.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Daft Mugi said:

Why was it decided that the...

Reveal hidden contents

...Occultation would not happen while playing on Nostalgia or Sorrow?

Now, I know why I haven't been able to trigger it yet! 🤣🙃

Spoiler

Nostalgia is the pain felt by a sentimental longing for the past. Sorrow is the present feeling of pain from loss or wrong. Penitence is an act of regret in acceptance of having done wrong.

I did not expect as many players would trigger the occultation and many even on their first play through. I was actually not so sure many would play the mission at all, but I was pleasantly wrong on all counts! The occultation ending is not the “good” or “actual” ending of Iris - but it is an end. My hope would be no players feel they have missed out by not pursuing it (most would not even be aware of it unless they have dived into spoilers in this thread) and that there would be plenty to discover to make a satisfying experience on any difficulty, but as I stated I have been wrong before.

@Klatremusthanks for catching those! I have them on my bug tracker to look at.

Thanks! Regarding the scroll on top of that beam I talked about a few days ago. I had to resort to cheat spawning a rope arrow to get up there. I assume there are none in the mission. I wasn't able to get up with crates nor with climbing/jumping. You said it was possible because several others had done it. Do you know where they jumped from, or some more details about the method involved? Since it contains an objective, I'd really like to be able to get it without cheating.

Edit: Never mind. Not even 2 minutes later I found the method. Yay!

Also, I have discovered the following objectives besides the starting ones. Please let me know if there are more:

Spoiler

- No rest for you now. Join those  you have lost beyond the wall. (From all mementos)

- Opt: Don't kill anyone

- Opt: 1,500 gold

- Opt: Spyglass

- Opt: Snake pick from old acquaintance

- Opt: Triangle pick from Vick the Pick

- Opt: In choice of steel you cut out middle man and went straight to the source

- Opt: Stahl family's heirloom compass

- Last remembrance from this place. (Is this from all mementos also??)

- Strange fables collection

- Tale of the hero of red rook from origin to end. (What triggers this exactly?)

- The watch's payroll

- Glimpsed the poisoned page and uncovered a deeper mystery. (Don't remember what triggered this either.)

- Released that which was born in the darkness of the old brew house

- Followed the radiant path of the sanguine dawn. (Is there an alternate one to this, since it says 'but you grew no closer to understanding its secrets?)

- Laid roderick to rest

- Transcending the limits of the dream you have become truly free. However, shattering the comforting illusion comes at a cost.

Edited by Klatremus

"In the dark one might even mistake its sheen for gold."
                                                    -{REDACTED}

IRIS has been updated to 1.12

Download is via the link in the original post or here

Changelog:

• Modest decrease in the archive size
  • Lots of small bug fixes
  • Fixed issues related to loot totals reported by @Klatremus
  • Added some clues regarding an optional objective
  • For those who cannot stay in bounds added greater mysteries of the void. (thanks for the catch @Dragofer)
  • Regarding the white {REDACTED} in {REDACTED} the player can now reveal {REDACTED} when wearing {REDACTED}

Carry the light of The Builder, unto its end.

• Like 1

@Klatremus

Spoiler

I believe you have them all - though the wording will change contextually for those with multiple solutions so they may appear different in different playthroughs.

-Last remembrance from this place is indeed collecting all the mementos

-Hero of Red Rook means you have both read the origin story and found the unfortunate end of Lord Rodere

-Glimpse the poison page means you have managed to enter Ursine's vault

-Regarding the radiant path - you have followed it to it's end for now

Well I managed to both include some unnecessary files in the archive (somewhat undermining my effort to reduce its size) and introduce a new bug - so here we have the better and smaller IRIS 1.12 Hotfix available here or in the the original post.

All apologies - though deepest apologies to @nbohr1more for having to update the archive server side twice.

• Like 1