The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Iris by WellingtonCrab [TDM 2.10 Required] (2022/02/13)

Wellingtoncrab

Iris - Connections Contest Scoring  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Story Quality and Theme (Stars)

2. 2. Gameplay Quality (Stars)

3. 3. Visual Quality (Stars)

5 hours ago, Knockout Thief said:

I am running 2.10 and I have tried it downloading it through TDM itself and from the link here manually.

I went through a did a fresh 2.10 install and fetched the mission from the downloader - this alone was not enough to replicate the issue. Can you tell me more: For example you said you got a grey screen - can you hear any sound at all? You said you got an infinite load - does this mean you were able to get to the loading screen before the grey screen appeared?

What are your system specs/os? Are you using the 32 bit or 64 bit install?

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

35 minutes ago, Knockout Thief said:

Error: file script/observer.script, line 79: Unknown value "getEntityFlag"

I do believe @madtafferencountered that error as well during beta testing and it ended up being an issue with the TDM install - as this is a script event brand new to 2.10  - you are absolutely certain you have the release version of 2.10 installed and not one of the betas or dev builds? You have tried reinstalling?

9 hours ago, Knockout Thief said:

Wow this mission didn't open up until I remembered the glasses and figured out what they can do, nice. 

Such a cool mechanic! I would have loved to do more with them. When you’re just mapping away you don’t have an inkling what all else is being worked on - I made sure to incorporate these as I was worried it was cool mechanic that might get overlooked in the 2.10 release.

Boy was I wrong , I don’t want to spoil anything but perhaps there is another contest mission where they really get their due.

I have been lost (usually in a very good way!) over the past few days as I've explored this mission. However, there's this guy named Tobin who's giving me a real hard time.

Spoiler

I cannot find his place for the life of me. I saw earlier in this thread, that the route could be spotted from Home and from around Blackbriar Park, but I'm just not finding it. I have climbed everywhere I thought I could around Home and so high up in Blackbriar Park that I was going out of bounds, but I'm still not seeing it. I need a bit more guidance.

I even tried to give up once and just 'go home and rest' in an attempt to end the game, but since it didn't, now I have decided that instead I absolutely MUST find that spyglass before I continue to figure out how to complete the mission.

My inability to locate this item notwithstanding, this mission is absolutely amazing. SO MUCH EXPLORATION, which is pure joy for me, and there is just -it bears repeating- SO MUCH of it. And it's all so beautifully put together. I know a lot of people enjoy the 'avoid the guards' mechanic, and I typically quite enjoy it myself, but I really appreciated the hostile/non-hostile markers and the chance to simply walk through some areas without worry. It was a lovely change of pace in a mission that I needed to spend so much time wandering around in.

And those glasses! 

Spoiler

They were my first purchase, and very much worth it! I'd already found lockpicks, and as no rope arrows were for sale, I figured I'd see if they were anything of use, so that's where my money went. They were VERY much of use, and those poor aging eyes wore them most of the entire mission. Fantastic!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shaz said:

I there's this guy named Tobin who's giving me a real hard time.

Yeah sorry about that! Clearly I made it much harder to find this item than I intended.

Spoiler

There is an area of “affordable lodgings” which conjoins Southbridge and Blackbriar but it is elevated - you might see the balcony lit from from Ratsack’s point of view in Blackbriar Park, or glimpse another in the distance from the players apartment where they start the mission. 

Okay, I'm almost done with this mission, only missing two loot - including one of the mementos.

Spoiler

In the house where you have to get the painting memento as the main objective, there's a treasure chest up on the rafters that's locked, but cannot be picked. Where's the key for it?

• Like 1

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

Spoiler

Okay, I musn't have noticed given the fuckton of keys you can get, but yes I did pick up that key at the start. Here's the mementos I collected so far:

Old Man's Journal

Silver Starved Purse

Patch of Purple Cloth

Favoured Pen

Mandrosala Root (was it deliberately misspelled?)

Ledger of the Favoured

Pallid Ingot

Rodent Cowl

'Grail of Regrets'?

Puzzle Box

Fermenter's Chalice

Ever Glittering Icon

Windower's Bottle

Cerebral Tether

Cracked and Crooked Lens

Stained Visage

Relic Edge

Which one am I missing out on and where can I find it?

Spoiler

Looks like there is still a secret to find in the strange derelict manor off of Blackbriar Park - though you’re not as far as you think if you already visited Grimkirk/The Black Rock.

I tweaked Mandrasola to be Mandrosala as I wanted the nod but since the drug is presented quite differently and it’s the literal title of another fm I wanted to leave a little wiggle room between them. It should be consistent throughout the mission.

Perhaps a bit late now, but I did at least make the keys droppable.

16 hours ago, Wellingtoncrab said:

Yeah sorry about that! Clearly I made it much harder to find this item than I intended.

Hide contents

There is an area of “affordable lodgings” which conjoins Southbridge and Blackbriar but it is elevated - you might see the balcony lit from from Ratsack’s point of view in Blackbriar Park, or glimpse another in the distance from the players apartment where they start the mission. 

How many times did I run through that EXACT PLACE and completely miss those 

Spoiler

windows?! Please excuse me while I smack my forehead repeatedly. 

@Cambridge Spy

I have one more memento than you do 

Spoiler

Lunar Beloved

but since I cannot recall where I got that one, I'm assuming it's where Wellingtoncrab speaks of.

And now the mission is finished.  10701 loot, though I did spend some, not sure if that deducts from my total? And I ended by resting, so I fear I missed any alternate ending(s). Absolutely wonderful mission. Thank you oh so very, very much!

The lore in this mission was fantastic.

Spoiler

All the references to dreams and dreaming. "Whose dream is this?" graffiti on a wall. The repeated mentions of the White Pyramid, plus of course graffiti and least one painting, I believe. I want to know more and find out more, and hopefully I'll discover such when next I play this.

Edited by Shaz
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shaz said:

How many times did I run through that EXACT PLACE and completely miss those 

That’s definitely on me! I think they are placed just a little too high to fall into a natural sight line coming down the stairs. And while it it a tenement I don’t think anyone is necessarily expecting the windows to be there.

Spoiler

@Cambridge SpyI can’t answer that for you, but there are no restrictions on “how” the player achieves this ending, they don’t even have to be responsible. I know it’s spoiler tagged, but if you don’t mind editing out your question for me, most are not going to achieve the same level of complete and without context I think it could be rather confusing.

I am curious as well you seem to have more information than the game typically provides players - knowing for example not only that you were missing loot but that one of them was a memento. Is that by virtue of a mod or cvar of some kind?

Accidentally hit the console key while disarming, I know i really should bind it to a different key, but I go the best console message I've ever had

Cannot find attachment penis to destroy in animation

That just ended me, still chuckling now

Edited by esme
misspelled
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, esme said:

Cannot find attachment penis to destroy in animation

This is a core bug that occurs any time an animation spawns and removes a prop. The function seems to be ok, but it generates console warnings.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wellingtoncrab said:
  Reveal hidden contents

@Cambridge SpyI can’t answer that for you, but there are no restrictions on “how” the player achieves this ending, they don’t even have to be responsible. I know it’s spoiler tagged, but if you don’t mind editing out your question for me, most are not going to achieve the same level of complete and without context I think it could be rather confusing.

I am curious as well you seem to have more information than the game typically provides players - knowing for example not only that you were missing loot but that one of them was a memento. Is that by virtue of a mod or cvar of some kind?

I always keep checking for any loot that I missed by typing "tdm_show_loot" in the console, then when I prepare to record a mission playthrough, I make sure to memorize where all the loot locations are and how much overall money you can get from it. However, the command doesn't highlight other collectables like books or keys.