Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 2:45 PM, stgatilov said:

Better handling of position-independent executable setting on Linux.

What does this do?

On 3/2/2021 at 2:45 PM, stgatilov said:

Removed TDM version display in the main menu.

Why was this removed? I thought it be a handy reminder of what version I'm using.

4 hours ago, datiswous said:

What does this do?

If you build engine from source, you have better chances of success.

Why was this removed? I thought it be a handy reminder of what version I'm using.

The main idea was to remove version check: it does not reflect our versioning system properly.

• Like 1

Just now, wesp5 said:

I think this is still a bad idea. There should be a place where you can see which version you run.

Open console: it shows major version + engine revision.
When taken together, they allow to fully identify version.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 4:17 AM, wesp5 said:

Yeah, this might be fine for developers, but what about normal people? Not everybody is active here...

Normal people don't need to know version.

If you want to check for updates, just finish your current playthrough and run tdm_installer without any settings,

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 2:44 PM, stgatilov said:

Although we would be glad if you catch and report bugs before the next beta phase starts

What is the right place to post bugs? I can do an error report in the bugtracker, but rather be sure if it's a bug before posting there.

I would guess TDM Tech Support, but it would clutter the other non-dev topics. Would be better I think if there is a subsection for that there.

28 minutes ago, datiswous said:

What is the right place to post bugs? I can do an error report in the bugtracker, but rather be sure if it's a bug before posting there.

I would guess TDM Tech Support, but it would clutter the other non-dev topics. Would be better I think if there is a subsection for that there.

Some time ago I wrote this article.

Basically, both bugtracker and TDM Tech Support forum are OK.
However:

1. Bugtracker is usually for the cases when you are sure this is a bug.
  2. Issues in bugtracker (outside of current roadmap) have tendency to be overlooked. There is so many of them, and I'm afraid no one monitors for new issues.
  3. Forum is much better to get fast response. It is better for talking in general: bugtracker is mostly for technical discussions.

So I'd suggest Tech Support forum.

• Like 1

This is useful to know, thanks for sharing! I run most FOSS games from their repositories: TDM is among the only exception due to how it's packaged by its own installer. I might stick to the install manager for game data... the engine I'm already able to compile and use independently if its URL hasn't changed.

One curiosity tempts me to ask: Is there a reason why we're using the much older SVN instead of Git? While at that, do we have an official mirror on Github and / or Gitlab for the engine and its game code? It always felt like development could be even better if users on those popular platforms could clone through them and submit pull requests there.

• Sad 1

On 6/12/2021 at 2:39 AM, MirceaKitsune said:

One curiosity tempts me to ask: Is there a reason why we're using the much older SVN instead of Git?

Because SVN is used in gamedev, but git is not.
Anyway, I'm sick of this question already.

While at that, do we have an official mirror on Github and / or Gitlab for the engine and its game code? It always felt like development could be even better if users on those popular platforms could clone through them and submit pull requests there.

Yes, there are plans for official mirror on GitHub for the engine.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

A small misfeature in the current dev build (also saw it on dev16325-9462😞 running the game from a terminal and running a mission causes the console colour to go yellow and stay yellow on exit from the game!  The terminal colour changes to yellow a following point in the log:

============= ReloadEngine end ===============
Couldn't exec autocommands.cfg - file does not exist.
Found 0 new missions and 0 packages.
Found 154 mods in the FM folder.
[swscaler @ 0x9fd6f80] deprecated pixel format used, make sure you did set range correctly
[swscaler @ 0x9fd6f80] Warning: data is not aligned! This can lead to a speed loss
[swscaler @ 0x9fd6e80] deprecated pixel format used, make sure you did set range correctly

The text in square brackets is coloured grey, the rest of the text after that is in yellow.

Earlier in the log I did notice the following lines which might be relevant:

2 warnings
WARNING: terminal type 'xterm-256color' is unknown. terminal support may not work correctly
terminal support enabled ( use +set in_tty 0 to disabled )
pid: 54238
Async thread started

Clearly this is not an important issue, barely an irritation.

On 7/26/2021 at 5:38 AM, stgatilov said:

New dev build is available: dev16330-9508
And I forgot to announce the previous dev build too : dev16325-9462

Note that subtitles support should work now, but the way how subtitles are specified will most likely change.

Did something changed in the latest dev 2.10 dev16330-9508 version about bindless textures? I didn't updated my AMD RX 570X driver and when I enabled bindless textures before they were broken and today just because, I enabled it and textures are fine! Are you guys just silently disabling the feature in AMD GPU's now or is it really working? How can I tell?

I attempted a fix, but it didn't actually fix the issue, it just made it somewhat less visible. Previously, the AMD shader compiler confused diffuse and normal map lookups, which is very noticeable due to the green/red tint of the normal maps. Now, it confuses diffuse and specular lookups, which is not as obvious, but it's still just as wrong, unfortunately.

Oh ok thanks for the info cabalistic, thanks for trying to solve it at lest.

Btw I did all in my power, trying to make AMD aware of this problem, I exposed the problem on twitter to the official driver guy and I sent two bug reports on this problem, using the driver bug report feature, but unless many other AMD users do the same, I don't think they will prioritize this particular bug, if only a few complain. :( 

9 hours ago, HMart said:

Btw I did all in my power, trying to make AMD aware of this problem, I exposed the problem on twitter to the official driver guy and I sent two bug reports on this problem, using the driver bug report feature

Noble intentions, even though AMD has never shown any interest in user bug reports

Am playing The Bakery Job with dev16330-9508 and I seem to have stumbled across an interesting bug: on the upstairs door (which requires two lock picks) if I look away from the door between the first and second pick the door becomes completely unpickable.  Haven't investigated elsewhere, other doors, saving and reloading etc, but imagine this might be a more general issue with this build...

Edit: Have confirmed this is a problem in the training mission.  To reproduce:

• Pick up the picks, go to the second door.
  • Pick the first tumbler.
  • Look away and change picks in the inventory (I have mouse wheel bound to my inventory)
  • Picking no longer does anything: there is a green or red flash on the lock pick, but no sound or other action.
Edited by Araneidae
  • Like 3