The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Mod Main Menu Updates (wip)

kingsal

20 minutes ago, zergrush said:

It looks alrighty. What will happen to the in-game items window and old mission objectives menus? Will they remain in parchment style, or will they follow the new look?

They would follow the new look to some degree, but I haven't investigated that yet. 

One thing for certain is I don't want to change the text color for any in-game menus (so they'll need some form of light colored "parchment" but tweaked and cleaned up)

The current parchment is low-res and stretched
lCLlg24.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, freyk said:

Nice menu. Is it an idea to give the mainmenu music theme also a remake?

Thanks! Haha I don't plan on touching the theme- I think its a nice hit of nostalgia/ vibe and at this point is iconic :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, madtaffer said:

This looks amazing. Which textures did you use here?

Well the wonderful screenshot is from @Spooks :) Which is featured on the thedarkmod.com. Sorry I should clarify that is NOT volta 3 (its just the FM I had loaded at the time)

• Like 1

Yep, pretty much only the wood trellis and the wallpaper are custom textures in that, too, the rest is stock assets.

OT I do quite like the new menu style. The original background concept drawings, by Springheel I believe, are very nice but the whole grainy and fuzzy aesthetic that the paper parchment menus have only gets older as time moves on. Not that we should be jumping to super-sleek, geometric stuff, but at the very least a resolution increase is sorely needed. UI ought to serve rather than impress, after all.

• Like 1

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

I don't see much difference except that both the game title and any mission with a longer name is now line broken which is not a good idea in my opinion. Even your own example looks weird with "working" looking bigger than the rest as if it was an option and not part of the name...

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, freyk said:

Nice menu. Is it an idea to give the mainmenu music theme also a remake?

18 hours ago, kingsal said:

Thanks! Haha I don't plan on touching the theme- I think its a nice hit of nostalgia/ vibe and at this point is iconic :)

Agreed, the current music is very obviously looping and very loud to me. Just not a fan of the instruments used in TDM's main menu theme. It's not seamless to the point you don't notice it like the great main menu theme of Thief Deadly Shadows. But maybe I'm in the minority here.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

51 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Agreed, the current music is very obviously looping and very loud to me. Just not a fan of the instruments used in TDM's main menu theme. It's not seamless to the point you don't notice it like the great main menu theme of Thief Deadly Shadows. But maybe I'm in the minority here.

The TDM main menu music isn't supposed to seamlessly loop, it's intentional.  It's like a windup music box at the beginning and then the other instrumentation builds around it.  It's not ambience, like the TDM menu, it's more like a theme song.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, New Horizon said:

The TDM main menu music isn't supposed to seamlessly loop, it's intentional.  It's like a windup music box at the beginning and then the other instrumentation builds around it.  It's not ambience, like the TDM menu, it's more like a theme song.

I guess I just don't like the ticking clock sound and the music box. Can't explain why. It's part of the logo so it is indeed too much pestering and bothering over such small things. I always love when the main menu music is replaced with something else by Fan Missions.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

I share some of wesp5's concern about the main menu, which currently takes up roughly the rightmost half of the screen, and is reduced to 1/3 in the mockup, causing not enough space for the FM title without wrapping. If the New Mission menu is similarly narrowed, it will suffer similarly.

My reworked mockup shows what I'd like to see. The righthand panel is widened (at least as much as shown), the title and menu items are not so clustered vertically in midscreen, and more emphasis is given to the FM relative to the non-FM stuff. So the FM title font is not smaller than the menu item font. It's colored, as in 2.10.

And - new feature - you can get to the Notes and Credits without having to go to New Missions. (I'd want this to be the same font family as elsewhere, it's the closest I could get.)

Sorry this came out a little darker than intended, the fonts should be the same brightness as the original.

geep-mockup-variant-of-king.jpg

Edited by Geep
  • Like 2

Changing the menu width would have implications for fan missions that use custom menu splash screens. So long as it isn't widened to more than half it should still be OK though.

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

6 minutes ago, Geep said:

I share some of wesp5's concern about the main menu, which currently takes up roughly the rightmost half of the screen, and is reduced to 1/3 in the mockup, causing not enough space for the FM title without wrapping. If the New Mission menu is similarly narrowed, it will suffer similarly.

My reworked mockup shows what I'd like to see. The righthand panel is widened (at least as much as shown), the title and menu items are not so clustered vertically in midscreen, and more emphasis is given to the FM relative to the non-FM stuff. So the FM title font is not smaller than the menu item font. It's colored, as in 2.10.

And - new feature - you can get to the Notes and Credits without having to go to New Missions. (I'd want this to be the same font family as elsewhere, it's the closest I could get.)

Sorry this came out a little darker than intended, the fonts should be the same brightness as the original.

geep-mockup-variant-of-king.jpg

I like the darker menu.

• Like 1

badge?user=andarson

3 minutes ago, Anderson said:

I like the darker menu.

Me too. This is the Dark mod after all.

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

I'm still confused about the "WORKING" part of the mission title. Is this part of the name or should it be an indication that the mission is active? If it's the later I believe it's quite confusing and "(active)" would be better. Or just leave it out and use the colors to highlight the mission stuff. I believe this and the dark background should be easy to do in the current menu!

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 1

The visual design looks good but legibility of the foreground text is suffering.

nro3zLE.png.fa31ee10b476c4a071160a7ce6d7cdaf.png

Since the location/level of detail in the background image is not predictable, it would be better to use something more visible for the text than transparent dim grey over slightly darker transparent grey.

• Like 2