The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: By Any Other Name by joebarnin (2022/3/10)

joebarnin

@Netos

Spoiler

The silver key is one of two needed to unlock the front door. The other is in the room you can climb into, in the upper part of the town area.

But, you don't need to keys to open the front door - you can pick the locks. There are locks on either side of the door, on pillars. The front door is in the lower part, up some stairs with lion statues. Not too far from the alley where you explored to find the silver key.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished this up yesterday and really enjoyed it. It seemed to be all about the timing of things so added some tension in a few spots.

Spoiler

I loved the twist it took when you finally got into the mansion. Enjoyed all the puzzles except for one - the 2nd room of the elementals - I found that one very frustrating. I finally made it across only to be zapped back to a gate I had no trouble reaching anyways. After multiple, multiple tries, I just no clipped to the door :( . The others were all a good challenge. I appreciated the in game hints for a couple of puzzles - saved me from exiting and asking here. 
The guards seem to be really sensitive to sounds (even though I have my settings to forgiven), not sure why, lots of muttering and moving on lol.  Also, enjoyed looking for all the secrets :) 

Thanks for all your hard work. I look forward to more missions from you. 

@ThiefetteGlad you liked it. My other missions: Mission of Mercy, The Heart of St. Mattis, Now and Then. And I've got another one coming, probably next year.

Spoiler

Sorry the elementals were so frustrating. I definitely pushed the envelope with this mission. Cambridge Spy amusingly called it "Thief Meets Portal"

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi

I enjoy it, still playing but i had to comment on a thing

Spoiler

i missed severall attempts on the tile floor becouse the positioning off the 'not' visible person is difficult and against to so normal "gliding into impossible places" which is sometimes to easy aswell.. but now i have to look down and stand exactly lined out on a tile else it wont work, i have had some MANY burpsounds while realy being ON that tile that it realy gets me off by now . i avoid (f9)  LONG steps since then i am 100% sure i wil have the correct sequence but STEP JUST A PIXEL BESIDE

thats the not so very fun part. now i get stuck on 5. i bumped most guards, piled them up in a corner, found 2 secrets and the window, and if i had a single lose dime

i would give it to that bagger, or the BIGGEST piece off cheese available, 'party'

15 hours ago, CrisiusXIII said:

Hi

I enjoy it, still playing but i had to comment on a thing

Hide contents

i missed severall attempts on the tile floor becouse the positioning off the 'not' visible person is difficult and against to so normal "gliding into impossible places" which is sometimes to easy aswell.. but now i have to look down and stand exactly lined out on a tile else it wont work, i have had some MANY burpsounds while realy being ON that tile that it realy gets me off by now . i avoid (f9)  LONG steps since then i am 100% sure i wil have the correct sequence but STEP JUST A PIXEL BESIDE

thats the not so very fun part. now i get stuck on 5. i bumped most guards, piled them up in a corner, found 2 secrets and the window, and if i had a single lose dime

i would give it to that bagger, or the BIGGEST piece off cheese available, 'party'

Glad you're enjoying the mission. I'm surprised

Spoiler

that you're having problems positioning on the tiles with the glyphs (I think that's the room you're talking about?). I designed it with lots of room for error. You shouldn't have to be in an exact location. I wonder why it is not working well for you? If you don't mind, could you send a gameplay video of this problem?

As for the beggar

Spoiler

there is something you can give him to make him happy. A special coin. Look

Spoiler

on a window sill on the outside of the tavern. 

18 minutes ago, joebarnin said:

Glad you're enjoying the mission. I'm surprised

Reveal hidden contents

that you're having problems positioning on the tiles with the glyphs (I think that's the room you're talking about?). I designed it with lots of room for error. You shouldn't have to be in an exact location. I wonder why it is not working well for you? If you don't mind, could you send a gameplay video of this problem?

As for the beggar

Hide contents

there is something you can give him to make him happy. A special coin. Look

Hide contents

on a window sill on the outside of the tavern. 

ok, i did find that one and realised it was ment to not enter, more the easy quick snatch.

thanks. i check how to make a ganeplay

btw, is it possible to have a kind off afterglow with the correct tiles when failing? then its more clear what went wrong. the 3D changings are a bit difficult aswell since the tiles close to the door are rather small before aproaching.

i dont know how to make a gameplay, is that a function or should i install a desktop-recorder ??

18 minutes ago, CrisiusXIII said:

btw, is it possible to have a kind off afterglow with the correct tiles when failing? then its more clear what went wrong. the 3D changings are a bit difficult aswell since the tiles close to the door are rather small before aproaching.

i dont know how to make a gameplay, is that a function or should i install a desktop-recorder ??

If I do another update to this mission, I'll add this suggestion.

There is no built-in function in TDM to record game play. You'll have to use a 3rd party recorder. Or, F12 (on the PC) does a screenshot, which might be enough to help me figure out what is happening. Next time you fail, don't move, look down, and take a screenshot with F12. You should see the tile looking down - you don't even have to be right in the middle of the tile.

You want to stand on it. That screengrab looks like you're close enough (assuming you're supposed to be on the lower tile). I just did some testing, and there's a large margin of error for your location. I can't figure out why it's being so picky for you.

with some other problems in mind its probably my system.

May i request a different solution? Its a conformation dot on the tile if you stand inside the correct area. Like small and green. what ever tile you stand on so its clear that you are ON the tile. After 5 ticks it will ligth up if its the correct one. The system has to check the position anyway. a position-point would be of a big help to me.

EDIT

i just went trough!! i can juggle now. To simplify my request, a shadow or dot where you stand is enough and i am sure it will be off a help. Thankks!!

Edited by CrisiusXIII

• 1 month later...

I'm in the middle of playing this FM now. Unfortunately I likely need to stop and possibly restart from the beginning, due to what appears to be a bug.

Spoiler

The green elementals will not collide. I watched the video on Youtube where it works and tried walking into them in every way, no response however. In the third puzzle where there are 4 colors and you need to get the keys, white red and blue all collide, but not green. Could it be related to me using the latest dev version of TDM, or something else that might have broken with the map script? Anyone else getting this and knows what the issue is?

@MirceaKitsune

Spoiler

When you say the green elements won't collide, I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that when the green elemental hits you, you don't get transported?

In the previous room, with just the orange and green elementals, did the green ones work?

Can you send me your qconsole.log file? Here are the instructions:

Open file darkmod.cfg in text editor.
Find or create new line containing: seta logFile "1"
Save the file, start TDM and reproduce the issue.
Now find the file named qconsole.log in the directory of the currently installed FM, for instance in C:\games\thedarkmod\fms\byanyothername

Thanks.

10 hours ago, joebarnin said:

@MirceaKitsune

Hide contents

When you say the green elements won't collide, I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that when the green elemental hits you, you don't get transported?

In the previous room, with just the orange and green elementals, did the green ones work?

Can you send me your qconsole.log file? Here are the instructions:

Open file darkmod.cfg in text editor.
Find or create new line containing: seta logFile "1"
Save the file, start TDM and reproduce the issue.
Now find the file named qconsole.log in the directory of the currently installed FM, for instance in C:\games\thedarkmod\fms\byanyothername

Thanks.

Spoiler

Correct. In the second challenge with elementals I had to noclip to the room with the green mushroom... as I pushed the button and ran toward the exit door, even the red ones didn't transport me back as I walked through them. In the third stage at least other colors seem to collide and transport the player, not green however.

qconsole.log

11 minutes ago, joebarnin said:

@MirceaKitsuneI installed the latest dev version of TDM, and this problem happens for me too. So it is definitely related to that. I'll take a look at it, but I think your best bet is to restart the mission with the 2.10 release - that's the only release it's 'certified' on.

Thanks for confirming. I thought I was experiencing some rare bug, new releases usually don't break this sort of thing, maybe something changed with collisions or radius detection. If you can and wish to, mention what you found the issue to be so we know it's not a bug that needs to be fixed in TDM, maybe on another thread or PM so this can stay on-topic to the FM.

I'm probably going to put this one on hold for now and get back to it later: I already feel I ruined my run by using noclip and will want to start over. Loved what I've seen so far though, will likely post my full thoughts when I finish it but great work :)

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2022 at 2:40 PM, tapewolf said:

Ooh, so close.  I had examined both of those locations for goodies, but clearly not closely enough.  And yes, I had wondered if there was anything I could do for the beggar as well.

That's too bad, I killed him and tried to take his coins...lol

• 4 months later...

Tried this mission and enjoyed it up until the fireball room. I hated it. I knew what I had to do, got the keys but then had an awful time trying to open the locks in the middle and gave up. I forgot which locks I had actually opened so I was going around trying to frob each of them again. I appreciate the work you put into it though and enjoyed the previous puzzle with the painting.

edit: Actually just powered through it and got through the fireball puzzle. Now on the sneaking puzzle which is right up my street!

Edited by evildiesel
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think your fan missions are excellent. But they are less for newcomers to DarkMod and more for veteran players who like the challenge(s). Some of your loot placement is phenomenally difficult to see or find. Same with the secrets. I don't think I completed ONE of your missions without help. Even though I groaned a couple of times, it was still a blast to play and enjoy.

This applies to every mission you made:

Mission Of Mercy

The Heart Of Saint Mattis

Now And Then

By Any Other Name

Thanks for those missions. Hope to see more.  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CountMorillonite said:

I think your fan missions are excellent. But they are less for newcomers to DarkMod and more for veteran players who like the challenge(s). Some of your loot placement is phenomenally difficult to see or find. Same with the secrets. I don't think I completed ONE of your missions without help. Even though I groaned a couple of times, it was still a blast to play and enjoy.

This applies to every mission you made:

Mission Of Mercy

The Heart Of Saint Mattis

Now And Then

By Any Other Name

Thanks for those missions. Hope to see more.  

Thanks! Mission difficulty is always a struggle to get right - it's a delicate balance. As for loot and secrets, here's the deal: I'm not a completionist when I play other missions. I don't have to find every last loot item or secret. So when I build a mission, I'm happy making a few loot items and/or secrets really hard to find, to reward those who work hard (unlike me). I suppose that might be frustrating to those who are completionists - but since those goals are optional, I don't too feel bad 😆

I am making another mission, should be ready for beta this summer.

• Like 1