The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: By Any Other Name by joebarnin (2022/3/10)

joebarnin

Fun stuff! I owned an escape room IRL prior to COVID, so this is my cuppa tea!  BUT....not sure if I have a bug or not:

Spoiler

Made it to the 2nd room with the elementals, fire and the single column of green.  No matter what I do, getting hit by a green elemental does not open the gate with the green mushroom.  Evaded the orange to get in the green line, but no love.  I eventually noclipped to get to through the gate to hit the button.  Same issue on the next puzzle - getting hit by the green or white does nothing - no teleport.  Only red or blue teleports to the corresponding tunnel.  Neither gives the key, but since getting hit by the green does nothing, not sure if I am doing something wrong as I cannot go in sequence of the mushrooms.

Thanks for any help.

Hmm, this is weird. What's supposed to happen, is that when you get hit by the green elemental you are transported to the nearby room with the green mushroom. Inside that room is a button that opens the gate to let you out of the green-mushroom room, and also opens the gate that lets you out of the big room (sounds like you figured that out when by noclipping). 

As for the next room, you have to get the keys in order (green, orange, white, blue), so since you can't get the green one, you're stuck. Something must be messed up in the script? Question: when you get hit by the green/white ball, does anything happen at all? Any fading on the screen? Any sounds?

If I can't figure this out, you can just noclip beneath the cube in the middle (with the keys). Un-noclip near the metal rods (you'll see), because there's a Trigger that you need to activate to make things work further on.

I'm sorry this is giving you trouble.

(Also, how cool that you run an escape room IRL! )

Getting hit by the green or white does nothing, no fading, nothing.  they just pass through me.  Same thing with the previous puzzle - the green balls do nothing - just pass through me.  No teleport, no fading, nada.  Hope that helps!  I have stopped playing your FM until I get a resolution as the puzzles are too fun!  Don't want to cheat to finish them.

Thanks!

What is an Escape Room ?

Is it like a panic room or a weather room or a bomb shelter. Some place to go to be safe?

You must live in the countryside on acreage. I can't imagine an escape room being a part of a 3 bedroom apartment in the city.

Or maybe it's just a metaphorical term for some room that you isolate as a place to gather your thoughts without external influence.

Just curious.

BTW, I had the same issue you have. I had to noclip to continue through this part. I don't know if it's related, but a different mission (Now And Then) had a piece of loot that would NOT highlight for me, making it impossible to frob. When I replayed the mission, it highlighted fine. It may be too much to ask that you restart to check as it's quite a ways into the story IIRC

9 hours ago, JavaGod said:

Getting hit by the green or white does nothing, no fading, nothing.  they just pass through me.  Same thing with the previous puzzle - the green balls do nothing - just pass through me.  No teleport, no fading, nada.  Hope that helps!  I have stopped playing your FM until I get a resolution as the puzzles are too fun!  Don't want to cheat to finish them.

Thanks!

This is very strange. It may take a few iterations to figure out what is happening. Do you have logging turned on? I'd like to get a console dump (https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Reporting_Problem#condump). If you have a save point at the start of the fireball section, that would be best - start there, and when you get to the point where the green balls fail, grab a console dump and send it to me. Thanks!

Weird - like you said, there was no additional logging. Do you have a save from earlier, like at the start of the elemental section? It would be great to have a console dump from that point, then playing to where the elementals don't work. Also, along the way, get hit by the working elementals (blue, orange) - that should log something too. Thanks.

OK - I restarted from the beginning.  The first file, GreenElementalStart is the dump right after the long hall with the blue elemental stream but not having entered the room with the green stream and mushroom gate.  The 2nd file is a capture of me literally standing in the green elemental stream as they are passing through me - no tele, no nothing.

GreenElementalHit.txt GreenElementalStart.txt

Thanks. Now, allow yourself to get hit by the blue (or orange) elemental, so you are transported, and send me that log.

Actually, you could store out a save file and let me try to debug it on my machine.  Go to <darkmod install>/fms/byanyothername/savegames and send me the <savename>.* files. Pick the save just before  you get into the elemental section. That might be a more efficient way of debugging this. (You are using Version 2 of this mission, correct?)

Edited by joebarnin

I can recreate this problem on DM 2.11. It doesn't happen on 2.10, so something changed in the core that surfaced this issue. Whether it's a bug in DM or a bug in my mission, I don't know (I would assume the later). It's going to take a while to track this down, especially as I'm going to be out of town for the next few days. I'll work on trying to isolate the problem when I get back.

If you can't wait, one option is to play the game with DM 2.10. You can install it separately from 2.11, and use it just for this mission.

OK - downloaded 2.10 and....it worked perfectly.  Really well done - loved the puzzle aspect of it!  Couple of questions, though:

Spoiler

I tried dropping the coin into the beggar's bowl, but I could not - the coin was not even showing as a selectable item in my inventory after I frobbed it.  Got credit for finding the secret, but couldn't give it away.  This was after I escaped the mansion, so does it need to happen before going in?

Also - I couldn't find the key for wine cellar.  I looked all over, and I didn't want to tdm_show_keys. Will play through again as I want to do a full ghost, but not finding the key is stumping me.  

Thanks for a superb FM!

• Thanks 1

@JavaGodI'm glad you enjoyed the mission. As for your questions

Spoiler

The coin to put in the beggar's bowl is a specific object. It's sitting on a window sill, outside of the the pub. It's called "Gold Coin" and you should be able to select it in your inventory and Drop it.

As for the wine cellar, I assume you mean the one mentioned in a note? There is no key for it; instead, there is a secret switch to open the door. It's near the door, just keep hunting for it. Solution:

Spoiler

it's the unlit lamp next to the door.

• 5 months later...

Has any progress been made on tracking down that collision issue? I have this on my list of FM's to go back to, but I'd rather not replay half of it just to find myself stuck again and need to try again later. As there's been no news I take it the problem would still be there in latest TDM dev which is what I use.

2 hours ago, MirceaKitsune said:

Has any progress been made on tracking down that collision issue? I have this on my list of FM's to go back to, but I'd rather not replay half of it just to find myself stuck again and need to try again later. As there's been no news I take it the problem would still be there in latest TDM dev which is what I use.

This bug is fixed in TDM 2.12. I just verified that the elementals work as they are supposed to, using TDM version dev16842-10488. So have fun!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, joebarnin said:

This bug is fixed in TDM 2.12. I just verified that the elementals work as they are supposed to, using TDM version dev16842-10488. So have fun!

Wonderful, thanks! Then I can give it a try next and enjoy going to the end :)

• 2 months later...

Finally did it with success! Very nice and fun FM, loved every bit of it. Haven't found all of the hidden things, should definitely play this again someday but for now I'm happy I finished it at last.

Spoiler

Rarer to get something puzzle oriented that's this good and relaxing. Loved how some parts of it reminded me of the training exercises in the UNATCO academy :D

• Thanks 1