The Dark Mod Forums

WYSIWYG readable editor not so WYSIWYG?

OK, so this is bothersome. Take any of the books or scrolls GUIs and the DarkRadiant readables editor will either show that they can fit text that is a line over or under what actually shows in-game. As an example, "guis/readables/books/book_hand_jd_hand.gui" will fit, in the preview, an extra line at the bottom that won't show up when I test inside the map.

Now what I've noticed is that the GUIs in the preview and those in-game have a different aspect ratio. I play on a 16:10 resolution. Is it that the GUIs get stretched rather than centered, could that be the cause? So, in the end, is it really a problem on DR's side or on TDM's? This kind of mismatch is dangerous because you can type out text lines in-editor and have them get cut short for players even if you see them yourself (provided resolution stretching really is the issue). Imagine it's some mission critical information that's in the readable and you have yourself a soft-lock.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

The GUI text placement code is definitely not perfect, I've been reverse-engineering it back in 2010.

If you have a concrete example, I can look into it and compare to it to the TDM sources, which we have available in the meantime.

I've tested several now and it seems only the jd_hand GUIs give me trouble. (When I said "take any of the books or scrolls" I should've been read as meaning "any of this particular one that struck me as wrong 🙃") The double sided book one skips two lines at the end and the paper one skips a single line. I have not tested every single common-use GUI with its font thoroughly, to see if I catch another mismatch between the editor and in-game, but I'll provide the little test map here in a pk4 (the jd_hand ones have been set up to exhibit the bug, they are on a table in front of the player spawn). For testing, one can just go down the list in the readable editor, hit save, and reload xdata in-game to see if the number of lines matches.

wysiwyg.pk4

Edited by Spooks
adding a self-own
  • Thanks 1

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!