The Dark Mod Forums

Speed potion?

wesp5

Yes, I am aware of that. But I guess for each feature making it into the core game, several others are left out! See speed potion and slow fall potion which I just learned about. So as I know you used the x-rays in your own mission, do you know who decides what goes into the core mod and what doesn't? Is this discussed in a seperate core developers board?

No I have no insight there - but I made sure to include the X-rays in my mission because I was worried about the exact opposite problem. Since I had no idea about WiS being developed I was worried it was a really cool feature the developers spent time on that potentially wouldn’t be well represented at 2.10 launch. Very glad I was wrong.

But again the only reason I was aware of it all was because it was publicly announced as a 2.10 core feature. It also cannot be understated how much the under the hood improvements themselves you are worried about the developers focusing on influence gameplay. At several points throughout 2.10 development I was able to vastly expand the scope of areas in my mission, add additional shadow casting lights and the ai scripting in my mission was not only enhanced directly by a member of the development team but it also includes a script event which is brand new to 2.10.

I think you are absolutely right to point out things that are important to you and that could be easily incorporated into the mod. I also think there is a lot of value to fm authors in you finishing some of these unfinished mechanics and making them available. If I ever get to make another mission I will probably take a peek at them. I just find I have to disagree with a statement like “the gameplay does not get considered at all” because they have not focused on the exact things encompassed in your patch. In fact could not the same thing be said of your patch, that there is a lack of consideration for gameplay given it does not consider the design intent of the author before it coerces features into their missions? Seems like rather a matter of perspective to me.

I have no insight about 2.11, but pretty much all of the public discussions I have seen here or on the discord have been about improving mechanics and the experience for new players. I have even seen asset integration mentioned as a way to contend with ballooning archive sizes and duplicated data across missions so we may see some of that. Who knows what is coming or what will make it in the end. I just think we can probably ask for things and also accept that we won’t necessarily get what we want without implying people don’t care about aspects of the game.

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

53 minutes ago, Wellingtoncrab said:

But again the only reason I was aware of it all was because it was publicly announced as a 2.10 core feature.

Hm, can you point me to the thread where this was announced? Maybe I only monitor the wrong threads...

https://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?/topic/21207-210-x-rays/

Another big gameplay addition in 2.10 were the improved security cameras. Other features which indirectly impact gameplay were things like removing the entity limit (my mission would not function without substantial compromises if that was not done) and the productivity boosts which came from compile time optimization and the connection and collaboration features added to DR.

Edited by Wellingtoncrab

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

Okay, this is a very specific topic that I never looked into. Is there an overview what new assets are available in TDM? Maybe I'm just unlucky in that the features I like never make it ;). Also the wiki should probably be updated for the new stuff, like in the link below where the speed potion is visible (I am a sucker for lost content as you probably know).

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=The_Dark_Mod_Gameplay#Inventory_Objects

Edited by wesp5

When I was doing my Christmas Connections entry I found it hard enough to discover what new furniture items and such had been added since the previous version.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

5 hours ago, wesp5 said:

So as I know you used the x-rays in your own mission, do you know who decides what goes into the core mod and what doesn't? Is this discussed in a seperate core developers board?

Sometimes i stumble over links to posts that only result in an eaccess denied message.
So there seems to be a hidden private board somewhere in this forum where the devs discuss all the really interesting stuff.

Yeah, I got good use out of the moddb articles. But an itemised list of specific new models would have been handy too.

3 minutes ago, Oktokolo said:

Sometimes i stumble over links to posts that only result in an eaccess denied message.

I have seen a few ancient links to posts from like 2005 that no longer work because of changes on the board. I didn't know there was a secret dev board as well. I hope it features a creepy little girl reading prophecies out of an ancient tome.

• Haha 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

24 minutes ago, thebigh said:

Yeah, I got good use out of the moddb articles. But an itemised list of specific new models would have been handy too.

I have seen a few ancient links to posts from like 2005 that no longer work because of changes on the board. I didn't know there was a secret dev board as well. I hope it features a creepy little girl reading prophecies out of an ancient tome.

Proof of the ivory tower's existance:

Edited by Oktokolo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Wellingtoncrab said:

The moddb write ups which accompany new versions are very thorough:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/news/the-darkmod-210-is-here

Very interesting! I never read that because I only ever use the installer to update TDM :). Maybe if I have some time I could update the Wiki a bit, there are still changes highlighted for version 1.00 which is rather out of date I would say...

Edited by wesp5