The Dark Mod Forums

Well Boys, It's Time for Another Round...

Kurshok

Unfortunately Square Enix owns the rights to Thief and would have to be persuaded to finance a remake/remaster for what is still essentially a niche series. They tried resurrecting the series with Thief 4 (also known as Thief, cos reusing names is cool!) and that didn't work out quite how they would have liked. Which is a bit disappointing since I'm one of the few who kinda enjoyed that game for what it was, plus it clearly had some money thrown towards it with fairly high production values.

Ultimately though, Square Enix are pretty shit with their western properties. They couldn't even finish Adam Jensen's storyline with the newer Deus Ex games FFS, which irritates me more than not having a new Thief game. So yeah, it sucks. But I guess we have The Dark Mod.

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

I'm glad somebody liked T4, because I thought it was an offensive slap in the face to fans of the original trilogy. Dumbing the game down and putting the player on a railroad is not what the Thief games are supposed to be about.

• Like 2

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

4 hours ago, thebigh said:

I'm glad somebody liked T4, because I thought it was an offensive slap in the face to fans of the original trilogy. Dumbing the game down and putting the player on a railroad is not what the Thief games are supposed to be about.

I feel I should clarify something.

Prior to T4, the only Thief game I had played to a reasonable degree was Thief 3. I think I played a demo of Thief 1 or 2, can't remember which one as it was a long time ago. After getting my hands on it I did play several missions of Thief 3 and found it decent enough, but I'm aware that people at the time of release also seemed to think it paled in comparison to the originals.

In fact, to this DAY I've never actually played more than the training mission of Thief 1 and part of the first mission. I found The Dark Mod a long time ago and basically treated it as a modern version of the classic Thief games. So because of this, I didn't care at all about Thief 4 not being a worthy successor to the series as I had no emotional attachment to the Thief franchise. I just treat Thief 4 as its own game, basically a simpler version of Dishonored.

EDIT: Before anyone starts suggesting it, I will eventually try Thief 1 & 2 for real with stuff like NewDark and whatnot. But TDM fills that need for masochistic stealth gameplay just fine for now.

Edited by Xolvix
  • Like 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

2 hours ago, Xolvix said:

EDIT: Before anyone starts suggesting it, I will eventually try Thief 1 & 2 for real with stuff like NewDark and whatnot. But TDM fills that need for masochistic stealth gameplay just fine for now.

I'll just offer some encouragement - I played Thief Gold (and later Thief 2) for the first time maybe 3 years ago and I think the game aged very gracefully overall. I don't have any problems with old/retro games in general, so I may be a bit biased, but apart from the graphics (for which I recommend the AI texture upscale mods, less blur without changing the overall graphics direction) it felt I'd even say fresh compared to many modern games.

i'd just be content to have the rights to distribution of the old trilogy in the hands of someone with the care and capability to tweak things up better for a general audience and modern machines. This has mostly been done already with NewDark, but T3 still needs some work. Any digital copies besides GOG are also super out of date with patches.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 3:15 PM, jaxa said:

Thi5f

I hope current industry just forgets that the Thief series exists

They would either dumb it down even more than thi4f to capture an audience who doesn't care for a stealth game or they might try to make it some sort of SoulsLike abomination.

Edited by Frank Cotton