The Dark Mod Forums

Realtexture Game Packs

Renzatic

This is an interesting find

It almost seems to good to be true, sets and sets of high quality hires textures that are already gameready and have their own normalmaps...all for $59 a pop (or $149 for vols. 1-3). I'm deeply considering buying it, the only thing that's stopping me is the lack of a terms of use page for me to check out.

So what do you think? If we're able to use em I think they'd be a worthy investment and save us alot of time.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither can I, but I don't see anything on the site that says otherwise...

On a similar note...didn't Blackcat buy a set of pro textures? I think I remember that being the main reason why they couldn't swap assets with us.

You also have to assume the fact that since they're listed as game textures they obviously intend for them to be used in games. Considering what we're making here, if we were to only distribute the ones we use and forbid anyone from repackaging them outside of the mod we can probably use them.

It's basically like we're making a retail game here, only we're giving it away for free.

I don't know, I never spend any time there. If it doesn't say on the ste you can't use them for this purpose, then they have no legal basis for telling us to stop if we do it.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Usually such texture services have a license that allows you to use them roality free in your models, applications, animations, etc. but don't allow you to redistribute them as textures. Since this is basically what we are doing I doubt that it would make sense. After all, it would mean that you pay once the price and afterwards everybody can use them since we are giving them away for free in our mod. Have some doubts that they will allow this? Think again. :)

Gerhard

Right, but why would they be selling packages of textures game ready right out of the box?

If you look on there you'll see a couple of games, both professional (Serious Sam 2) and amateur (that tank game) are allowed usage. The only difference between they and us is the fact that they're commercial and we're not.

I'm sure you'd at least get your money back if you found out later you werne't allowed to distribute them with a game, since that's the only reason you're buying them.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Using the textures in a game is ok. Giving the textures away as a set will be not. I'm sure that the licence will cover this, so that you can use the textures in your game and give it away as part of the game, but not as textures on it's own. The problem is with editors, because if you have an editor in a game you might be able to retrieve the textures as seperate entities, which might not be allowed, depending on how tightly they are integrated.

Gerhard

But, if you look closely, the FM authors won't have to redistribute the textures even if they use them in a map. Once the players have the mod and all the textures, they don't have to get them again.

We're not handing them out with the intention of people handing them out again. We're handing them out so people can use them. Which is the same as any game - people use them when playing the game. It's just that now, people use them when 'playing' Radiant, and release a map. The map doesn't CONTAIN the textures again, it just references them so someone else is using them on their own PC.

Hello.

Thank you for your interest in our products. To answer your question, yes,  it is legal to use our textures for such projects if the content which is  accessible by others is modified and if the content is used for the  project (not only a directory full of textures which aren't used  somewhere).

Since I am a fan of FPS games and I am enjoying Doom3 as well I would like  to make you an offer. I know that non commercial projects are low on  budget (often) so I offer you the texture collections for free. Beside  this, your project looks pretty nice. Just tell me what you need and your  postal address and I will send you the package. Btw, I am a 3D modeller  and I was involved in some projects like TC's for Quake3 (unfortunately  never finished). So if you need any help feel free to ask. If you like,  just check www.dbki.de for some examples.

greetings

daniel aka duke

w00t, but also

if the content is used for the  project (not only a directory full of textures which aren't used  somewhere).

So we'd have to use their textures in a distributed map to get around that, I guess.

But w00t for freeness!

Wow, that's fantastic! How many of these can we get? This is going to launch our mapping division forward several month's worth of work! :)

Wow, that I was not expecting...

I wouldn't mind having my own copy on a disc, but BT would get them a helluva lot faster and it'd be cheaper for the guy to send.

And yeah, we should consider making the guy a part of the team. We already know he can texture like a mofo, but he can draw and model as well. It'd be dumb for us not to. ;)