The Dark Mod Forums

Realtexture Game Packs

Renzatic

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My bet: Nope!

Probably a safe bet, too. Yet another week, yet another nothing. If he's just going to wank us around then we should stop wasting energy and time on it and find another resource.

Do I sound excessively negative? Months of holding back can do that.

*SCREAMS TO THE BOWELS OF HELL*

My bet:  Nope!

Probably a safe bet, too.  Yet another week, yet another nothing.  If he's just going to wank us around then we should stop wasting energy and time on it and find another resource.

Do I sound excessively negative?  Months of holding back can do that.

*SCREAMS TO THE BOWELS OF HELL*

:) It's ok. We're here for you. Let it out my friend. Let it out. I'm sure we'll hear back though, we just have to be patient. It will all work out in the end.

I don't mean to turn into a expose my inner bitter negative fuckwad, but it's just getting very frustrating. It's like it follows a cycle.

10 Find a great thing, discovery, whatever

20 Get things moving on it, excitement!

30 Hit a snag, uh-oh

40 "Um, where are we on this? Any news?"

50 "Nope"

60 Twiddle thumbs

70 *Hope*

80 GOTO 20

I'm certainly no one to sit here and try to motivate or "manage" because I'm just some mapper dipshit with a 56k connection. So I sit in the purgatory of torturous frustration of seeing *the most important Thief contribution ever - the one that will BE Thief's salvation and legacy* getting dusty with inactivity and lack of resources (human and otherwise).

It's heart breaking. -_-

Well, it's probably all sophisticatedZombie's fault, for getting me so damned excited with mantling. :wub:

Yeah, it's kinda pissing me off too. :P

We're practically sitting on a gottdamn texture goldmine here. It's got all the basics covered, all we'd have to do is provide some embellisment textures...it'd put us ahead by months, and we'd finally be able to start the mapping process way ahead of schedule.

But...BUT...the guy hasn't come through yet, and it's been almost 2 months since we first contacted him. I can understand that the guy probably has a few personal issues he has to deal with, but the least he could do would be to bounce a courtesy email back to us to let us know what's going on.

good news here :) I just got back home from a german forum meeting at Fjonan (some of you probably remember him, he has been a team-member for a few months) and found a quite thick letter from a company called industry graphics, which arrived on Friday .

I just wanted to ask you guys, whether I'm allowed to open it :D

YOU AWESOME BASTARD!

Whoa..4 DVD's. Did you get the pack that includes the skyscapes and HDR ready textures? O.o

I'd say that at the very least you should upload all the normalmapped gameready textures...cuz...you know...I want em too. :P

Edit: NH, BT..hop on IRC right fast. We'll have a quick discussion.

Well, fuckin' A.

Now I really really hope the compression measures are in place.

*twitch*

They are. Renz and I worked it out last night. I pinned an announcement to the top of the textures thread. ;) It won't be as small as using jpg but it will streamline it much better than the current setup. A compromise between size and quality.

Not sure which post, unless you mean the 70->30Mb one? So, only a bit more than 50% reduction? If the texture archive (which is quite small) is already > 300 Mb, and a landslide just arrived, and the reduction is going to be on the order of 50%... um, not good. We're talking about maybe downloading a gig on dialup? Screw dialup - either way, that's big. What about using the JPGs (which I still defy anyone to find appreciable difference) for all but the normals? Surely that would give at least... 10 times from the regular textures and 50% from the RLE normals, which are 1/2 - 1/n of a material, so... like a jillion* times less?

*at least, what, 6 times or so smaller?

Not sure which post, unless you mean the 70->30Mb one?  So, only a bit more than 50% reduction?  If the texture archive (which is quite small) is already > 300 Mb, and a landslide just arrived, and the reduction is going to be on the order of 50%... um, not good.  We're talking about maybe downloading a gig on dialup?  What about using the JPGs (which I still defy anyone to find appreciable difference) for all but the normals?  Surely that would give at least... 10 times from the textures and 50% from the normals, which are 1/2 - 1/n of a material, so... like a jillion* times less?

*at least, what, 6 times or so smaller?

Yup, it's the announcement right at the top of this thread. Texture Guidelines.

Tiled textures- Walls, Floors, Ceiling...ect -

Diffuse: [ Min/Max: 512 x 512] Normal: [ Min/Max: 512 x 512]

Specular: [ Min/Max: 256 x 256]

Large objects- Beds, barrels, chairs, bookshelves-

Diffuse: [ Min/Max: 512 x 512] Normal: [ Min/Max: 256x256]

Specular: [ Min/Max: 128 x 128]

Small objects- Keys, books, goblets, utensils-

Diffuse: [ Min/Max: 256 x 256] Normal: [ Min/Max: 128 x 128]

Specular: [ Min/Max: 128x128]

AI: All characters-

Diffuse: [ Min/Max: 512 x 512] Normal: [ Min/Max: 512 x 512]

Other: [ Min/Max: 256x256]

That 70 to 30 was just from converting the diffuse textures. I still have to work on the normals and specular, I have just now converted two normals and two speculars to the new guidelines and the folder is already down to 28 megs. Once the old texture repository is removed, there will only be around 170 megs worth of textures on CVS at full size. Once they're cut down, it's going to be much smaller....I would say much better than 50%, perhaps 65 or 70. I'll know better when I finish up the models/props/textures folder. I know it's not jpeg size but there were even problems with the diffuse jpegs in Doom 3. Lots of strange banding going on and that's after using tga normals and specs. From the testing I've done, doom3 just doesn't like jpeg as much as it should. Trust me, this is the best choice. Bare with us while we get everything in order. It's not perfect but it's a fair compromise for us all.

That 70 to 30 was just from converting the diffuse textures.  I still have to work on the normals and specular.

Oh. Oooh. So, if that means the current dir is:

compressed diffuse + bloated normals + bloated specular = 30Mb

Nice.

It'll probably get down to around 20Mb when the others are compressed. Less than 1/3 size is definitely getting better. And your sizing guidelines should help too. I assume that means existing ones are being resized? Does it affect the look of chars or models at all? I know the wall textures probably won't look much different; most aren't super sharp.

Once the old texture repository is removed, there will only be around 170 megs worth of textures on CVS at full size.  Once they're cut down, it's going to be much smaller....I would say better than 50%.  I know it's not Jpeg size but there are even problems with the diffuse jpegs in Doom 3.  There is lots of strange banding going on and that's with tga normals and specs.  From the research I've done, doom3 just doesn't like jpeg as much as it should.  Bare with us while we get everything in order.  It's not perfect but it's a fair compromise between the two.

Alrighty, hoping for the best. I'm interested to see if the realtextures are worthy of the hype that's been generated around here, too. ;)

Oh.  Oooh.  So, if that means the current dir is:

compressed diffuse + bloated normals + bloated specular = 30Mb

Nice. 

I've still got a few of the smaller textures to do (keys and torches), but that directory is now down to 19.5 megs, and everything still looks quite alright. If people don't like it when we release, they can always download the ultra hi res versions. :)

I can't wait to get a look at these donated textures myself. From what I've heard, they're pretty nice.

I would appreciate if somebody works over the textures in ALL directories and sees which ones are to be removed. Then we can clean up CVS and I will implement the split for CVS. I noticed that there are still a LOT of old textures in CVS which shouldn't be there anymore.

Gerhard

I would appreciate if somebody works over the textures in ALL directories and sees which ones are to be removed. Then we can clean up CVS and I will implement the split for CVS. I noticed that there are still a LOT of old textures in CVS which shouldn't be there anymore.

Yup, Renz and I are taking care of that. I'll drop you a PM when we're finished Spar. :)

started working on the first high-poly model for a normalmap for a real-texture window.

http://www.thedarkmod.de/intern_screens/manwindow1.jpg

I'm thinking about making a lowpoly model for the window, so that it won't look too flat, when you're standing right in front of it. Renderbump seems to work way better than renderbumpflat anyway....

started working on the first high-poly model for a normalmap for a real-texture window.

http://www.thedarkmod.de/intern_screens/manwindow1.jpg

I'm thinking about making  a lowpoly model for the window, so that it won't look too flat, when you're standing right in front of it. Renderbump seems to work way better than renderbumpflat anyway....

Fantastic BT. Can't wait to see.