The Dark Mod Forums

The Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard

Kurshok

I was listening to a recording of Radio Graffiti/Twitter Shout-out from The Ghost Show on YouTube, and one of the recent tweets was the single most stupid, downright retarded, galaxy-brain conspiracy theorist takes I've ever heard. I've decided to share it here so people can give their own insight to it

"What If JFK's head just did that on his own?"

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to realize people's heads don't just fucking explode for no reason out of nowhere. I've heard a lot of dumbass conspiracy theories, but "JFK's head just exploded on its own" takes the cake.

Some people will believe the craziest conspiracy theories because it makes them think they're on the 'inside' track of life - that they know something that very few people know, and that makes them special. It might be complete horseshit and such theories generally are, but if you can convince yourself you're better than those ignorant masses who don't believe it or have never heard of the theory, that gives your life purpose.

A lot of people are absolutely desperate to make their lives mean something - they don't get it from their jobs, they don't get it from friends/family/acquaintances, so they get sucked into the black whole of conspiracy theories. Which is a shame, since I'm certain there's actual conspiracies that go unnoticed because they're generally not as "glamorous" compared to exploding head theories I guess.

• Like 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

3 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

@Kurshok

This is a final warning.

If you are actively trying to push this material here. This is not a community that welcomes "non-linear warfare", astro-turfing, and propaganda. You will be banned with extreme prejudice.

I'm not a member of any of that. I simply find the discussion of it funny because of how stupid it is people believe in moronic shit like that. The world obviously isn't flat, and people's heads don't explode for no reason.

Let me elaborate on this tactic:

1) Postulate some crazy concepts about historical events until one gains a little traction either by morons or people who find it to be an amusing meme

2) Test the waters in different forums and social media spaces to see how folks react to this

3) If the forum crowd is determined to be largely left-wing and rationale, overamplify how "idiotic" people are for believing XYZ and then slowly begin associating these "idiots" with anyone they consider their social or political adversaries until you get large numbers of forum members to rant about right-wing "Trump-tards" (etc) and foam at the mouth about all their political grievances

4) Pretend to be a right leaning person, act like a jerk, and get your posts censored

5) Go to right leaning forums and show them that this "theory" is being censored and see if you can get them to integrate it into the larger narrative of "true things that the left is censoring". ( Eg, add it to the pile of Qanon nonsense ).

6) Return to the left leaning forums to mock the right leaning folks for doing step 5.

Mission accomplished, you've entrenched more poorly educated people into an absurd belief system and you've ignited a bunch of left-wing derision against them. This type of agitated polarization works well whether you are Putin, the Republican Party, Democrats, etc. Divide and conquer.

Here's a tip:

Nobody needs to grouse around about what "idiotic" things people believe.

If you don't like people believing dumb things, then create a blog, youtube video, or podcast explaining the topic in easy ( and friendly ) terms to those you wish to evangelize into the world of being "not idiotic".

The language of referring to people as "those idiots who believe" is a cancer that we suffer too much of these days with political propaganda organizations such as "Media Matters for America" (MMFA) who basically write a single set of political jokes about a daily topic and feed them to all the Late Night television hosts so that if you don't hear them say "republican person X did \ said this dumb thing" from one late night personality, you surely will hear it from another one and the version of what is told omits any nuance or rational counterpoint. In some cases, the words are out-right fabricated from out-of-context statements or things that MMFA thinks people will believe.

Here's a perfect example:

To this day, late night comedians treat the incriminating emails on Hunter Biden's laptop as "fake Russian slander" even though the New York Times has corroborated their authenticity and they are DKIM signed.

They use the laptop story as a talking point about how Republican's are "pro Russian idiots" even though nobody of either political party would be happy to have the son of a vice president using his father's position to arrange financial scams and deals with geopolitical enemies ( China ).

Because the latter information is largely invisible to over 50% of the US populace, it serves as a perfect place for political divide and conquer.

If the entirety of mainstream entertainment and news are gonna bury or distort legitimate news stories about their allies, what are the chances that anyone will vote for a moderate "middle" candidate?

The left will see right-leaning voters who discuss the laptop story as Russian traitors and the Right will see the left as "idiots" who get all their news from television comedians and insane "woke" SJW blue hairs.

Perfectly divisive.

People need to stop looking at the proles on the ground and start thinking about all the groups that are trying to pull the strings.

So I state again, this is no place for astro-turfers, propagandists, and non-linear warfare.

Nobody here really cares about what dumb things are floating through the brains of a small group of internet denizens. If these "idiots" grow in numbers, calling them idiots "louder" will not "cure" them or shrink their numbers. The only thing you will achieve is more entrenchment and polarization.

• Like 3

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

24 minutes ago, nbohr1more said:

Let me elaborate on this tactic:

1) Postulate some crazy concepts about historical events until one gains a little traction either by morons or people who find it to be an amusing meme

2) Test the waters in different forums and social media spaces to see how folks react to this

3) If the forum crowd is determined to be largely left-wing and rationale, overamplify how "idiotic" people are for believing XYZ and then slowly begin associating these "idiots" with anyone they consider their social or political adversaries until you get large numbers of forum members to rant about right-wing "Trump-tards" (etc) and foam at the mouth about all their political grievances

4) Pretend to be a right leaning person, act like a jerk, and get your posts censored

5) Go to right leaning forums and show them that this "theory" is being censored and see if you can get them to integrate it into the larger narrative of "true things that the left is censoring". ( Eg, add it to the pile of Qanon nonsense ).

6) Return to the left leaning forums to mock the right leaning folks for doing step 5.

Mission accomplished, you've entrenched more poorly educated people into an absurd belief system and you've ignited a bunch of left-wing derision against them. This type of agitated polarization works well whether you are Putin, the Republican Party, Democrats, etc. Divide and conquer.

Here's a tip:

If you don't like people believing dumb things, then create a blog, youtube video, or podcast explaining the topic in easy ( and friendly ) terms to those you wish to evangelize into the world of being "not idiotic".

The language of referring to people as "those idiots who believe" is a cancer that we suffer too much of these days with political propaganda organizations such as "Media Matters for America" (MMFA) who basically write a single set of political jokes about a daily topic and feed them to all the Late Night television hosts so that if you don't hear them say "republican person X did \ said this dumb thing" from one late night personality, you surely will hear it from another one and the version of what is told omits any nuance or rational counterpoint. In some cases, the words are out-right fabricated from out-of-context statements or things that MMFA thinks people will believe.

Here's a perfect example:

To this day, late night comedians treat the incriminating emails on Hunter Biden's laptop as "fake Russian slander" even though the New York Times has corroborated their authenticity and they are DKIM signed.

They use the laptop story as a talking point about how Republican's are "pro Russian idiots" even though nobody of either political party would be happy to have the son of a vice president using his father's position to arrange financial scams and deals with geopolitical enemies ( China ).

Because the latter information is largely invisible to over 50% of the US populace, it serves as a perfect place for political divide and conquer.

If the entirety of mainstream entertainment and news are gonna bury or distort legitimate news stories about their allies, what are the chances that anyone will vote for a moderate "middle" candidate?

The left will see right-leaning voters who discuss the laptop story as Russian traitors and the Right will see the left as "idiots" who get all their news from television comedians and insane "woke" SJW blue hairs.

Perfectly divisive.

People need to stop looking at the proles on the ground and start thinking about all the groups that are trying to pull the strings.

So I state again, this is no place for astro-turfers, propagandists, and non-linear warfare.

Nobody here really cares about what dumb things are floating through the brains of a small group of internet denizens. If these "idiots" grow in numbers, calling them idiots "louder" will not "cure" them or shrink their numbers. The only thing you will achieve is more entrenchment and polarization.

I'm none of those, and also, "Holy fucking wall of text, Batman!" If you're so paranoid about me being some long-game Russian spy or some shit, forget about it. I'm 100% against all forms of authoritarianism; be it Islamic Sharia Law, Russian Oligarchy, or Chinese/North Korean Communism.

25 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

The issue for me is that you're opening one thread after another full of nonsense and/or vulgar ranting about one thing or another and otherwise only seem to engage minimally with the TDM theme or community on these forums.

Have you tried playing some fan missions and posting your thoughts on them in the forums, or maybe teaming up with an FM author since you seem to have quite a lot of ideas? That would be much, much more welcome participation than the endless ranting which effectively amounts to trolling and as nbohr1more said can be grounds for a ban. If those things are your primary interests you'd be much better off finding somewhere else that's designed for hosting those kinds of discussions.

I'm more of a fan of the Thief games as a series than a developer. But I have been able to do something that has merit with the Thief community! Ever heard of the game Dreams? I can't figure out how to make stuff there myself, the controls for Dreamsculpting are hard, but I've gathered a group of fans of the Thief series who can, who are able to dreamsculpt. We're working on a fanmade, fan-finished version of Thief: Dagger of Ways, the cancelled Modern-Day American City version of Thief that was in production by Ion Storm before the Thief 2014 Victorian Era style reboot was made.

20 minutes ago, Kurshok said:

I'm none of those, and also, "Holy fucking wall of text, Batman!" If you're so paranoid about me being some long-game Russian spy or some shit, forget about it. I'm 100% against all forms of authoritarianism; be it Islamic Sharia Law, Russian Oligarchy, or Chinese/North Korean Communism.

I'll highlight the important part:

Here's a tip:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

27 minutes ago, nbohr1more said:

I'll highlight the important part:

Here's a tip:

Ok. I'll keep that in mind.

I was thinking about what you said, nbohr1more, and while I stick by the Basic idea that talking about stuff so people discuss it and come to consensus on how to deal with it or address it is good, I also admit I can be pessimistic at times. So I started a new post, one about a way that programmers of games can help people who are sick, old, or don't have much time left in life to experience fun things they otherwise wouldn't be able to with VIrtual Reality. It's on a new thread.

• 2 weeks later...