The Dark Mod Forums

Head-bob adjustments not sticking

ChronA

Having just updated to v2.10, I'd like to disable head-bob to prevent severe motion sickness for someone who would like to watch me play. However the values I'm entering in the console don't seem to be sticking after I close the application. I've also tried the autoexec.cfg procedure the FAQ says became obsolete in v2.07 to no avail.

Is this a bug with v2.10? Might there possibly be some other work around? I'm not thrilled about the prospect of re-entering the console commands each time I boot up the game.

(As an aside, a toggle to quickly disable head bob in the main settings menu would be a very considerate accessibility option to add in the future for those with motion sensitivity.) 

• Like 2

Which cvars did you change?

The following cvars are marked as "archive", meaning that they should be saved between sessions:

idCVar pm_crouchbob(				"pm_crouchbob",				"0.2",			CVAR_GAME | CVAR_NETWORKSYNC | CVAR_ARCHIVE | CVAR_FLOAT, "bob much faster when crouched" );
idCVar pm_walkbob(					"pm_walkbob",				"0.3",			CVAR_GAME | CVAR_NETWORKSYNC | CVAR_ARCHIVE | CVAR_FLOAT, "bob slowly when walking" );
idCVar pm_runbob(					"pm_runbob",				"0.35",			CVAR_GAME | CVAR_NETWORKSYNC | CVAR_ARCHIVE | CVAR_FLOAT, "bob faster when running" );
idCVar pm_runpitch(					"pm_runpitch",				"0.001",		CVAR_GAME | CVAR_NETWORKSYNC | CVAR_ARCHIVE | CVAR_FLOAT, "" );
idCVar pm_runroll(					"pm_runroll",				"0.003",		CVAR_GAME | CVAR_NETWORKSYNC | CVAR_ARCHIVE | CVAR_FLOAT, "" );
idCVar pm_bobup(					"pm_bobup",					"0.035",		CVAR_GAME | CVAR_NETWORKSYNC | CVAR_ARCHIVE | CVAR_FLOAT, "" );
idCVar pm_bobpitch(					"pm_bobpitch",				"0.001",		CVAR_GAME | CVAR_NETWORKSYNC | CVAR_ARCHIVE | CVAR_FLOAT, "" );
idCVar pm_bobroll(					"pm_bobroll",				"0.0015",		CVAR_GAME | CVAR_NETWORKSYNC | CVAR_ARCHIVE | CVAR_FLOAT, "" );

I have tried:

seta pm_bobroll "0"
seta pm_bobup "0"

and
pm_bobroll "0"
pm_bobup "0"

These both have the desired effect for the duration of each play session. After adjusting these 2 parameters the remaining pitch bob is not an issue for us so I've left it alone.

I also tried:

seta pm_runbob "0"
seta pm_walkbob "0"
seta pm_crouchbob "0"

These also had the desired effect, but are likewise impermeant.

Edited by ChronA
I previously said the _bob commands had no effect, but this was not correct. My mistake.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, stgatilov said:

The following cvars are marked as "archive", meaning that they should be saved between sessions:

But these  head-bob variables are not saved. This problem was already noticed in version 2.07.

Let's do this experiment:
1. Move my autocommands.cfg to the game folder

2. Open the console and look at the values of head-bob variables in the game menu (screen1.jpg)

3. Load the mission (Mission 2: Tears of St. Lucia) and open the console. Looking at the values of the variables (screen2.jpg)

Conclusion: the values of these variables are reset for some strange reason. Perhaps this can be somehow fixed in the next patch for 2.10

screen 1.jpg

screen 2.jpg

autocommands.cfg

Edited by Gadavre

1 hour ago, nbohr1more said:
// movement settings

"pm_bobroll"                 "0.0015" //side to side roll
    "pm_bobpitch"                 "0.001" //forward roll
    "pm_bobup"                     "0.03"  //upward bounce
    "pm_runroll"                 "0.003" //running side roll
    "pm_runpitch"                 "0.001" //run forward pitch
    "pm_runbob"                 "0.35" //speed of run bob
    "pm_walkbob"                 "0.3" //speed of walk bob
    "pm_crouchbob"                 "0.2"    //speed of crouch bob

and ensure that the cvar values associated to them are archived so that they persist.

Tnank you!

How can I look this up in a text editor? I want to see the archiving status of this values

Edited by Gadavre

But what if I want to put Corbin's head on a spring like a jack-in-a-box during a mission ??!?! ;)

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

12 hours ago, Gadavre said:

Tnank you!

How can I look this up in a text editor? I want to see the archiving status of this values

You can extract the tdm_player_thief.def file from tdm_defs01.pk4 and modify it in a text editor then either repackage the pk4 or place a defs folder in your darkmod directory with all the defs from that pk4.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

On 4/16/2022 at 9:50 PM, nbohr1more said:

Hah ha! Yes!

tdm_player_thief.def

// movement settings

"pm_bobroll"                 "0.0015" //side to side roll
    "pm_bobpitch"                 "0.001" //forward roll
    "pm_bobup"                     "0.03"  //upward bounce
    "pm_runroll"                 "0.003" //running side roll
    "pm_runpitch"                 "0.001" //run forward pitch
    "pm_runbob"                 "0.35" //speed of run bob
    "pm_walkbob"                 "0.3" //speed of walk bob
    "pm_crouchbob"                 "0.2"    //speed of crouch bob

We should remove these from the def and ensure that the cvar values associated to them are archived so that they persist.

Then players will finally be able to force these off.

So... will you commit this removal to assets SVN?

I think allowing players to disable head bobbing is more important than allowing mappers to customize it.
Do we need more opinions?
@Dragofer @kingsal @Goldwell @Springheel @Obsttorte

• Like 2

Headbobbing definitely seems like something for the player rather than the mapper to control. In fact, the headbobbing in TDM is a criticism I often saw on the TTLG forums, so it would be good to at least allow them to disable or reduce it.

On 4/17/2022 at 12:17 AM, nbohr1more said:

You can extract the tdm_player_thief.def file from tdm_defs01.pk4 and modify it in a text editor then either repackage the pk4 or place a defs folder in your darkmod directory with all the defs from that pk4.

Thank you. I can confirm commenting out the offending lines in tdm_player_thief.def and repackaging tdm_defs01.pk4 fixed the problem for me in some of the missions I've tested so far, meaning the changes I enter in the console stick now.

Notable recent ones where it failed to work are @kingsal's Hazard Pay (plus Volta 2; for Volta 1 the fix works) and @Wellingtoncrab's Iris. I'm guessing they have overwrites for tdm_player_thief.def hidden somewhere inside them. (That's confirmed for Hazard Pay and Volta 2. I haven't found the file in the Iris mission yet.) I'll report if editing the files is ineffective or I run into any other unusual phenomena, but for now I have enough missions to play for a while. 😁

52 minutes ago, nbohr1more said:

I have removed the pm_* cvars from the player def as of rev 16483

Hopefully it won't be too much work for the community to get this change integrated with most of the missions in the database. I and others appreciate it.

@ChronA Interesting, I would have to double check when I get home later but to my recollection I don’t think I ultimately needed to edit the player def so I am not sure if it’s  even in there - if I did it would be in that same def folder in the mission archive - hopefully I didn’t just leave it in there unmodified or something. But if I am understanding it sounds like edits to the core player def don’t influence the mission at all?

I did edit several of the weapons defs for the blackjack and arrows which do impact the animation rates for those, though I don’t think these animate the camera at all, rather just the first person models.

Sorry to hear it if it’s preventing you and cohort from playing the mission, would definitely want to get it figured out!

• Thanks 1

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

@Wellingtoncrab Hm. I just double checked Iris and it seems like it is only losing my motion settings when I load older saves that I made before I began messing with these variables. Starting the mission over from the beginning or from a save made with the right settings works correctly. I think you are okay. 🙂

(And its good to know going forward that these variables are apparently attached to save files too!)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stgatilov said:

So... will you commit this removal to assets SVN?

I think allowing players to disable head bobbing is more important than allowing mappers to customize it.
Do we need more opinions?
@Dragofer @kingsal @Goldwell @Springheel @Obsttorte

I agree, it's important to give players control over whether they want headbobbing or not.

I think that takes priority over any customizations that may exist in missions.

@stgatilovI agree, we should allow players to control headbob.

@ChronAYes I overwrite tdm_player_thief.def in all my missions so you'll have to manual adjust those def files for now.

@nbohr1more  FYI- I have a bug 5926 to add pm_runmod to the player thief def so this gets appropriately overwritten from mission to misison if an author changes the player run speed (which I'd like to keep in the authors hands). Just want to confirm that we are only removing head bob and nothing else?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kingsal said:

FYI- I have a bug 5926 to add pm_runmod to the player thief def so this gets appropriately overwritten from mission to misison if an author changes the player run speed (which I'd like to keep in the authors hands). Just want to confirm that we are only removing head bob and nothing else?

Yes, the plan is to remove only headbob, since it is cosmetic and has no gameplay consequences.

As for running/swimming speed, these settings should be taken from mission, or from hardcoded defaults. It is OK if developers can change them for debugging, but such changes should not persist I think.

14 hours ago, stgatilov said:

Yes, the plan is to remove only headbob, since it is cosmetic and has no gameplay consequences.

As for running/swimming speed, these settings should be taken from mission, or from hardcoded defaults. It is OK if developers can change them for debugging, but such changes should not persist I think.

Awesome. Yeah its an easy fix to make sure run speeds do not persist across missions.

A few final comments on this topic that might be useful to someone in the future:

1. Don't use ' seta pm_runbob "0"; seta pm_walkbob "0"; or seta pm_crouchbob "0" ' to disable head bob for any of these three movement states. Apparently this also stops you from making walking/running sounds! Someone with more engine knowledge than I will have to diagnose whether this is only cosmetic or if it actually removes the tap shoes from the simulation. Either way I would call it subtly game breaking.

2. It doesn't look to me like pm_runroll or pm_runpitch actually have any effects on running head bob. Is this a glitch or are these vestigial? (It doesn't really matter, but for someone trying to customize their experience, it's confusing.)

3. If there is any chance of getting settings menu presets for this, I would suggest if possible giving a choice between three states: head bob On, Off, or Run Only. Even as someone who does pretty well with VR and simulations (unlike my guest who kicked this whole thing off), I find the walking and crouching head bob in TDM a bit excessive, and I'm now finding I can play a bit longer if they are turned off. However running is such an uncommon and transient action in most TDM missions that it really has no effect on motion sickness (unless one is supremely sensitive), but it does contribute greatly to immersion. So my preferred setting would be for head bob during running only if that was available.

• 2 months later...

While these changes to pm_* cvars are being made, would it be possible to change pm_bobroll to 0.0008 by default instead of 0.0015?

The reason I propose this change is that I felt slightly dizzy/seasick while playing TDM. I found that 0.0008 felt comfortable, so this default value may help others have a better experience when they start TDM.

I tried 0.0006 for a while, but that felt too flat. 0.0008 felt like the sweet spot.

Edit: I'm now using the value 0.0010.

Edited by Daft Mugi

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 1:09 AM, Daft Mugi said:

While these changes to pm_* cvars are being made, would it be possible to change pm_bobroll to 0.0008 by default instead of 0.0015?

Are you going to start an initiative on choosing the most-liked default value? 😁

Unless the majority of people thinks they like different default value, it's better to not change default.

8 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

Are you going to start an initiative on choosing the most-liked default value? 😁

Unless the majority of people thinks they like different default value, it's better to not change default.

I'm trying to be helpful as a new TDM player before I get used to all of its quirks or they aren't present in my build. :)

I've seen many Thief players complain about head bob and other movement "issues", so they stop playing TDM. That's not what we want, right? And recently, I saw a TDM player ask on Discord about his `pm_bobroll` not sticking.

So, I think reducing the default head bob would reduce the complaints, since it's not working well for many players.

• 2 weeks later...