The Dark Mod Forums

Footstep sound bug in version 2.10

Gadavre

Hello dear developers! I tested version 2.10 and noticed a performance improvement over version 2.09. This pleases us! But I also noticed a bug with the sound... The player, when walking to the left (button A), the volume of the sound of his steps goes down. In some missions even this sound is inaudible...
Please, if possible, make the volume of the step sounds the same for all four directions for realism.

I ask you, if possible, to make a fix to version 2.10, as it is a very long time to wait for the release of version 2.11

Edited by Gadavre
  • Like 3

I can confirm this, on Linux anyway. Walking left, you make the same footstep sounds as crouching and creeping forwards.

Edited by thebigh
  • Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

I could be wrong because it was a fast look at the code but based on my debug section of the Move code, the problem seems to be that, when the player steeps to the left the "moveType" string, is set to "creep" and when moving right, is set to "walk", that causes different sound volumes to be set for the final steep sound. 

I think I found the real problem

on the player cpp file on UpdateConditions() function

this code 

// DarkMod: Catch the creep modifier
	else {
		int creepLimit = cv_pm_creepmod.GetFloat() * 127;
		AI_CREEP = (usercmd.buttons & BUTTON_CREEP) ||
			(idMath::Abs(usercmd.forwardmove) <= creepLimit && idMath::Abs(usercmd.rightmove <= creepLimit));
	}

Needs to be like this

else {
		AI_CREEP = (usercmd.buttons & BUTTON_CREEP) |
			(idMath::Abs(usercmd.forwardmove) <= creepLimit && idMath::Abs(usercmd.rightmove) <= creepLimit);
	}

The close ) for the idMath::Abs was on the wrong place.

The change to bitwise OR |  instead of the logic OR || was a recommendation of visual studio 2022, not something I really know if necessary, changing that didn't solved the bug nor the behavior, a better programmer may explain why VS recommended that change.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HMart said:

I don't understand. Where can I find player cpp file ? Please give me the path to this file and I'll fix it myself.

Edited by Gadavre

I'm talking about the engine and game source code, the c++ source code. 

Unfortunately, unless you know how to code in c++ and how to compile the engine than you will have to wait for the TDM team to solve that bug.

The best way is to make a bug report and link this thread there.

HMart

I tested the old version 2.07, it doesn't have this bug...   For some reason, creating new versions of the game leads to new bugs.
I already thought about trying to transfer all the new textures, models, scripts and sounds from the new version 2.10 to the old version 2.07. But I'm not a programmer, it's very complicated.

Edited by Gadavre
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Gadavre said:

HMart

... For some reason, creating new versions of the game leads to new bugs. ...

haha yes that is true, is a fact of game development, is because people are writing new code, copying or moving code around and sometimes simple mistakes are made, in code, even a simple comma in the wrong place, can break a entire game. And even code that worked fine before, after some new work can stop working for some obscure reason, is called regressions, 3 steeps forward, 1 steep backward. :)

Have patience and just wait, I'm sure that when someone in the team sees this, they will solve it and maybe, make a patch or solve it for the next TDM version but only them can decided that. 

58 minutes ago, HMart said:

3 steeps forward, 1 steep backward.

Some of which make a creep sound, other normal footstep sounds.

• Haha 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

On 4/16/2022 at 2:36 PM, HMart said:

this code 

else {
			(idMath::Abs(usercmd.forwardmove) <= creepLimit && idMath::Abs(usercmd.rightmove <= creepLimit));
	}

Needs to be like this

else {
			(idMath::Abs(usercmd.forwardmove) <= creepLimit && idMath::Abs(usercmd.rightmove) <= creepLimit);
	}

The change to bitwise OR |  instead of the logic OR || was a recommendation of visual studio 2022, not something I really know if necessary, changing that didn't solved the bug nor the behavior, a better programmer may explain why VS recommended that change.

Confirmed this code change fixes the issue, and I can't find any bugs that it could possibly introduce, though my testing was limited to just playing the game and trying to break it.

• Like 3

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

On 4/23/2022 at 5:16 PM, AluminumHaste said:

thank you.  Has this already been fixed in the latest dev16485-9903 build?

Edited by Gadavre

On 4/16/2022 at 8:36 PM, HMart said:

this code 

else {
	}

Needs to be like this

else {
	}

VS probably recommended to change to bitwise OR because a bitwise AND was used in the term before that and VS did not understand that what we actually want is a boolean. I bet if you changed it to 

AI_CREEP = (usercmd.buttons & BUTTON_CREEP) != 0 ||

, i.e., convert the bitwise AND result directly to bool, VS would not recommend to change the OR operator.

• Thanks 1