The Dark Mod Forums

Windows XP machine doesn't handle x64 Dark Mod

Hello everyone,

I copied the main game's files from my main computer to my virtual machine. I tried to start the game, but the 64-bit Dark Mod won't run in Windows XP Tablet Edition. 😐

It says "C:\Documents and Settings\user1\My Documents\release210\TheDarkModx64.exe is not a valid Win32 application". This is serious. It's not a joke. And I need help from anyone. Should I install the 32-bit edition of The Dark Mod for this?

Can you tell me to install the x86 Dark Mod for my Windows XP virtual machine? 😦

Regards,

PastMarioOfBeingAliveClu

• Confused 2

Wait... for real? You're running a 3D game in a VM (bad idea) on a discontinued version of Windows (bad idea) on a niche version of windows (Tablet Edition) for a game whose executable clearly indicates it's a 64-bit binary on a 32-bit only system. How difficult are you trying to make things?

2.08 was the last version of the game that supplied a 32-bit executable. From 2.09 onwards it's 64-bit only, so if you intend to continue with this approach you'll need to run the "tdm_installer" program and use the advanced options to select 2.08 instead of the latest.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

It does seem to be a strange question. But I recall another seemingly odd question, about how to mod the Dark Mod to run the game it was originally modded from, was not as daft as it seemed at first. So I won't judge. Perhaps TDM is not supported at all on the tablet's native OS.

• Like 1

{ 0 | 🞵 } = funk_tastic

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

TDM 2.07 was the last build that had Windows XP compile flags enabled:

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=What's_new_in_TDM_2.07

If 2.07 is too old for you, you could try modifying the TDM 2.10 MSVC project to set WinXP flags.

Microsoft no longer supports WinXP so we also have dropped support since we try to stick with modern MSVC compiler conventions to take advantage of the latest CPU architecture improvements.

• Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

9 hours ago, PastMarioOfBeingAliveClu said:

This is serious. It's not a joke. And I need help from anyone.

OK, it's not a joke, it's a SPECIAL DIDACTIC REQUEST

• Confused 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

5 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

Microsoft no longer supports WinXP so we also have dropped support since we try to stick with modern MSVC compiler conventions to take advantage of the latest CPU architecture improvements.

PastMarioOfBeingAliveClu and other gamers would play this game tomorrow, if someone would do a good deed today. If today, someone moved all textures, models, scripts, etc. from version 2.10 to version 2.07.

and we would get, for example, a new version of the game ( tdm 2.07 Defenitive Edition or Enhanced Edition).

Edited by Gadavre
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, Xolvix said:

You're running a 3D game in a VM (bad idea)

It is very hard to get OpenGL 3.3 inside VM.
For Windows host + Linux guest, VMWare is the only VM I know of which can do it. TDM works rather slowly (enough for testing, but not enough for playing comfortably on my machine).

on a discontinued version of Windows (bad idea)

Yes, XP support was totally terminated several versions ago, as @nbohr1more noted.
Of course, you can download source code of 2.10 and try to enable XP support. For 2.11, that would become totally impossible, because I believe newer VS does not include XP support at all.

on a niche version of windows (Tablet Edition)

I won't be surprised if tablet's hardware is too weak to run TDM even without VM...

for a game whose executable clearly indicates it's a 64-bit binary on a 32-bit only system.
2.08 was the last version of the game that supplied a 32-bit executable. From 2.09 onwards it's 64-bit only

That's not entirely true.
32-bit binaries are deprecated and are not installed by default. But you can still download them for the latest major release of TDM, there are instructions on website downloads page.

But yes, trying older version is the best idea here.
Older versions need lower version of OpenGL (e.g. 2.1), are 32-bit and support Windows XP.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

That's not entirely true.
32-bit binaries are deprecated and are not installed by default. But you can still download them for the latest major release of TDM, there are instructions on website downloads page.

Thanks for the correction. I got my info from https://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?/topic/20398-notice-32-bit-executables-deprecated and now looking at the page a bit clearer it does indeed say the 32-bit binaries can still be acquired. I just assumed since they were no longer bundled that at some point they had been dropped entirely.

• Like 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

I can add to this, that almost all PC after 2012 and earlier, despite they running a 32 Bit OS,  have a CPU which support 64 Bits. Apart of this, I also think that using a so old  and outdated OS isn't a good idea, not so strange that most of the current soft won't run well in W XP, even TDM, less in a virtual box, at least need Win 7. Better you try  TDM in Linux.

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

So, try to run 2.07. download and use the full standalone 2.07 package from moddb: https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/downloads/the-dark-mod-207-full

Or older:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/downloads

And do not run games on a vm. (Why do you do this? @thisPastMarioOfBeingAliveClu

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!