The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Sam Wilson 1: Eastbound (2022-05-07)

jonri

Congrats on releasing this mission! Will look forward to playing once I catch up!

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

I'm playing on Expert, and getting a mission fail in the tavern car, because the FM thinks I have killed someone when I haven't.  I've knocked out the bar maid and the guy with the sword nearest the bar, and extingusihed all the lights.  Then one of the seated male guests seems to "teleport" towards the bar untouched by me and that's when the mission fail message appears. 

I have now replayed this section, and think that previously I may have put the bar maid's unconscious body too near the stove in the kitchen room adjacent to the bar.  This time I didn't and was able to finish the mission.

I just replayed that car for a third time.  There seems to be an issue with one of the men sitting at the table with the gold dagger, namely the man who is facing the carriage wall.  He cannot be blackjacked without dying, and sometimes he just spontaneously dies and vanishes - at least for me he does!

Edited by Marbrien
Update

3 hours ago, Marbrien said:

I'm playing on Expert, and getting a mission fail in the tavern car, because the FM thinks I have killed someone when I haven't.  I've knocked out the bar maid and the guy with the sword nearest the bar, and extingusihed all the lights.  Then one of the seated male guests seems to "teleport" towards the bar untouched by me and that's when the mission fail message appears. 

I have now replayed this section, and think that previously I may have put the bar maid's unconscious body too near the stove in the kitchen room adjacent to the bar.  This time I didn't and was able to finish the mission.

I just replayed that car for a third time.  There seems to be an issue with one of the men sitting at the table with the gold dagger, namely the man who is facing the carriage wall.  He cannot be blackjacked without dying, and sometimes he just spontaneously dies and vanishes - at least for me he does!

Thanks for the bug report - I've been trying to reproduce the problem and haven't been able to make it happen myself yet.  I did a lot of testing in that room to make sure nothing breaks even if everybody gets alerted at the same time.  There's nothing special about the particular AI in question, so my first guess would be the CPU load related to the number of AI in the room. 

Would you be able to answer these questions?

1. What model of CPU do you have?
  2. In Settings / Video / Advanced, do you have Uncap FPS turned on or off?
  3. What FPS do you have in that car? (set com_fps 1 in the console)

Oh, and proximity to the stove doesn't matter 😀

Spoiler

stove.thumb.jpg.d7d7f9bfc19670930c9f7bbe4b97c0ba.jpg

Edited by jonri
  • Like 1

My CPU is an Intel Core i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60 Ghz.  Uncap FPS was Off, I set it to On but the problem recurred.  I don't know how to open the console. 

The curious thing is that when it happens, that particular AI, still in the seated postion, shoots off down towards the bar before disappearing.  It's as if he has suddenly stopped moving relative to the rest of the train.

50 minutes ago, Marbrien said:

My CPU is an Intel Core i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60 Ghz.  Uncap FPS was Off, I set it to On but the problem recurred.  I don't know how to open the console. 

The curious thing is that when it happens, that particular AI, still in the seated postion, shoots off down towards the bar before disappearing.  It's as if he has suddenly stopped moving relative to the rest of the train.

I still don't know the cause, but it gives me an idea of what I can try to prevent it.  If I PM'ed you a .pk4 file of the FM with a possible fix, would you be willing and able to copy it over the old file and try it out? 

• Like 1

Congratulations on the release. This mission was a lot of fun to test.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

2 hours ago, jonri said:

I still don't know the cause, but it gives me an idea of what I can try to prevent it.  If I PM'ed you a .pk4 file of the FM with a possible fix, would you be willing and able to copy it over the old file and try it out? 

Yes, certainly.

• Thanks 1

Congrats on the release! This was excellent and felt like a proper train mission.

Spoiler

I especially loved all the narrow spaces and tight stealth. Each section of the train felt unique and fun to navigate. Very cool! Can't wait for the next mission.

• Like 2

Nice mission! Good fun. I especially enjoyed

Spoiler

the sense of motion, with the clackity-clack of the train and the scenery going by.

Also, due to my own incompetence,

Spoiler

I didn't find the first two sets of water arrows near the beginning. So I had to traverse most of the train without using them. It was hard but doable, which made me realize that I sometimes use them as a crutch.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Finishing the mission and going back to the first wagon to exit, I had some fun time in the wagon with the horses. Instead of going out on the penultimate free kick, I tried to convince the horse on the last one to let me out of there.
I have never seen such a stubborn horse with such hilarious reactions to prevent my exit, even applying strokes with blackjack.
Leaving it as impossible at the end, leaving the planned place and passing in front of this animal, it almost kicked me off the train with a header.
Congratulations to @jonri on a good coverage of non admited exits on the map 👍

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Haha 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

16 minutes ago, Zerg Rush said:

I have never seen such a stubborn horse with such hilarious reactions to prevent my exit, even applying strokes with blackjack.
Leaving it as impossible at the end, leaving the planned place and passing in front of this animal, it almost kicked me off the train with a header.

@Zerg Rushlittle do you know, during beta testing that horse was briefly responsible for the death of every other AI in the map!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Congratulations on the release. :D Awesome to have a n ew mission to play. :D 

That was fun, thank you. :D Veru nicely done. Loved the motion of the train,

thought it  a bit odd there was a castle on the train lol. NJ.

Edited by NeonsStyle

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

5 hours ago, jonri said:

@Zerg Rushlittle do you know, during beta testing that horse was briefly responsible for the death of every other AI in the map!

It already seemed to me that the horse behaved more intelligently than the other AIs. Don't change it, it can be a little extra challenge to get out of this box, Yihaaa 😏

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉