The Dark Mod Forums

Scrap empty folder at installation.

Nort

I just installed The Dark Mod (version 2.10) and Dark Radiant fresh (uninstalling, removing the folders, and then downloading the installers), and I noticed that the install still installs an empty "\fms\saintlucia\" folder, next to the proper "\fms\stlucia\" folder.

That's all.

That's very strange.

I believe your installation was not perfectly "clean", and the saintlucia directory was present before update.
I have seen such behavior many times after update, but never on fresh install.

Here is the full story.

the original version of Saint Lucia mission had codename saintlucia. That's how the directory and the pk4 file was named. At some moment it got a major update, and the new version was called stlucia. Right now it seems that changing codename was not a good idea, but I can imagine it being more convenient at the time when the change happened.

Now the thing is: tdm_installer does not remove empty directories. It removes existing files if it believes the files are part of the core game (start with "tdm_" or belong to a hardcoded list), but if a directory becomes empty because of that, it remains. That's why if you upgrade TDM from an old version before the Saint Lucia update to the new version after the update, you'll get an empty directory.

Just let it be.
Sometimes being perfect is hard and yields no benefit anyway 😉

It's been a week since the update, but I remember removing the folder that said "The Dark Mod" after I uninstalled and removed both it and Dark Radiant. (I have Dark Radiant installed as a subfolder of The Dark Mod.)

However, as I opened up Dark Radiant again, I noticed that it still kept track of my last saved files, and the previous paths to my map folder. ...so if those settings were somehow still around somehow, then maybe it reinstalled the Lucia mission's blank folder from that. I was surprised to see it reinstalled at all, to be honest - I thought that I had installed that FM separately, but maybe it comes with the game now.

I disagree: I really like striving for perfection, and that's why I formally reported this here. I'm sure that you have much bigger and more important things to do, devs, but if you have a few minutes to spare, this is probably easily fixed on your end as well.