The Dark Mod Forums

Bug: 3D view freezes when closing the Surface Inspector.

I am surprised that you haven't squashed this bug yet, since it's been so persistent for at least a whole year, but this is me formally reporting this bug (for version 2.14.0):

Every time you close the Surface Inspector window, the 3D view freezes, except for a small area underneath where the Surface Inspector window once was. To get it updating again, you must either hold right-click to move one of the orthographic views a bit, or minimize and maximize Dark Radiant.

I take back "every time". It's more like 30% of the time.

You open the inspector, and then I think you select a brush in the 3D view, and then you immediately close the inspector window by hitting its X button. In the attached image, the inspector window took up the lower right corner of the window.

ConfirmOfSurfaceInspectorBug.gif

Edited by Nort
Described a bit, and attached a file.

...and if this some kind of graphics card related bug, my card is an nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB.

...and it has never happened with any other window - it's only the Surface Inspector window that does this. It's like every window uses its own code in this editor.

Edited by Nort

12 hours ago, AluminumHaste said:

I'm using split pane layout, what are you using?

I don't know. Nothing is checked in the menu. I'll try to switch to "Split Pane". I need to restart the editor? Oh no! What have I done?! It's all ruined! How do I get it back?!

Edit: I managed to get my views back the way I had them. It appears to be the "Dockable" layout. May I suggest that you put a check mark next to the currently active layout? It's common practice.

"Also, try version 3.0 prerelease, see if it still happens."

This has been going on for a year now, and I upgraded just last week. I'm not going to upgrade again, to an unstable version.

12 hours ago, AluminumHaste said:

Also, since brushes can have a different texture on each face, you should probably be selecting a FACE of a brush with the surface inspector opened.

The attached screenshot is me selecting just a single face, and the bug still happening.

...and I sometimes use the Surface Inspector to cover a brush in caulk. How I use the editor, is not the issue here. I simply screwed around with the editor in order to reproduce the bug, when simply opening and closing the window didn't produce it. ...but sure, hold down <Ctrl> if you wish to reproduce it in a more proper way.

SelectedFace.gif

Edited by Nort

Apparently it's not just the Surface Inspector that makes the camera view freeze up. It also happened now when I selected another skin for a model. Since the "folder selector / preview screen" window took up half the camera view, half the view froze.

FreezeAfterSkinSelect.gif

Edited by Nort

5 hours ago, Nort said:

"Also, try version 3.0 prerelease, see if it still happens."

This has been going on for a year now, and I upgraded just last week. I'm not going to upgrade again, to an unstable version.

So this may have been fixed already in version 3, but you're not going to try it, even though the render window has been drastically changed. Ok.

You also seem to be the only person reporting this issue.
I've now tried your steps to reproduce on 4 computers, 2 with Nvidia GPU's, 2 with AMD GPU's, 2 Windows 10, 2 Windows 11, none of them do this.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

32 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

So this may have been fixed already in version 3, but you're not going to try it, even though the render window has been drastically changed. Ok.

You also seem to be the only person reporting this issue.
I've now tried your steps to reproduce on 4 computers, 2 with Nvidia GPU's, 2 with AMD GPU's, 2 Windows 10, 2 Windows 11, none of them do this.

I didn't know that the camera window had been drastically changed, so hopefully the issue will be fixed in version 3 then. ...but can you really blame me for wanting to have a stable build?

Maybe my reproduction steps are wrong. Maybe it's when I switch focus back and forth between the camera view and the window. In any case, I have hopes that it'll be fixed in the next update, finally. It's only mildly annoying.

5 hours ago, datiswous said:

I thought (at least in Windows) you can install multiple versions of DR. So you can install the v3.0 while keeping your current install, just to see if this fixes your issue.

I bet having multiple setups of settings on one computer, can introduce issues as well. Then when I go to update, the updater could be very confused over where "the" installation path is.

You're talking to a guy who really didn't have time to reinstall one new version, and you're asking him to install a second one. I'd much rather wait and see if the bug fixes itself. There's a good chance that it will, and if not, I'll just have to keep moving the other view a bit, like I've been doing, to get the camera to unfreeze again.

Okay, this seems to be what actually reproduces it:

1. Open a window (Surface Inspector/skin selection/Layers).
  2. Right-click in the 3D camera view and maybe swivel the view a little bit with the mouse. (At least this is true for when I tested this with the Layers window.)
  3. Left-click on the window again, to make it gain focus again.
  4. Close the window.
  5. Right-click on the 3D camera view and swivel it about a bit with the mouse again. Only the area underneath the former window, should now be moving, which is the bug.
  6. Right-click and drag one of the orthographic views a tiny bit.
  7. Right-click on the 3D camera view again and move the mouse. It should now snap back to updating the entire window as normal.

Update: I don't even need to close the window. The bug sometimes occur once you click back to focus on the window, but not reliably. Instead of closing it, try dragging it about, and sometimes it will smear out the background. It's clearly a window focus issue.

Edited by Nort

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2022 at 10:33 PM, Nort said:

I bet having multiple setups of settings on one computer, can introduce issues as well. Then when I go to update, the updater could be very confused over where "the" installation path is.

There's 2 versions of the editor available, as an installer, and as a portable version. There's no "installing" the portable version. You extract it's contents to a directory and run the EXE. You can have as many portable versions as you want on your computer. I'm currently running 6 (haven't cleaned them up yet) from testing different versions.

But again, you're probably just trolling everyone.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

2 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

But again, you're probably just trolling everyone.

Is that something you do? You invent bugs? You make a bunch of random claims, which aren't even funny?

I dunno. I don't watch much comedy, so I'm out of the loop.

Anyway, this might be related: There's a general inconsistency of view focus which I can't figure out, where I go <Ctrl-Tab> over the orthographic views, only to have the Properties view switch tabs. I expect the focus to change to the window I'm hoovering my cursor over, and not have to click in it, but sometimes it gets stuck and I have to actually click in a view to shift the focus, just like I do to get the 3D view to start updating properly again. Might be related.

• 2 weeks later...

After upgrading to Dark Radiant 3.0.0, I'm still getting this issue.

I've also discovered that it's not just the 3D view that freezes. If I move the window over to one of the orthographic views (making that view the background for the Surface Inspector window when I close it), then that view freezes too, in the same manner.

...so it's obviously the window focus not transfering automatically when this window (or these windows) is closed.

Edited by Nort

Also, if I select something (like a brush) in the 3D view, the graphical Media texture preview in the Properties view, freezes too.

To get it unstuck, it's the same solution as it is with the freezes of the other views: I just click in another view, move the mouse cursor about a little, and then click back in the Properties/Media view and click the texture, and it updates like normal again, until I of course select another brush in the 3D view.

This type of freeze is only partial: A thin border at the bottom of the preview, never freezes, and continues to update as normal. It is the rest of the preview which is frozen.

(I am using Dark Radiant 3.0.0.)

Edited by Nort