The Dark Mod Forums

Duke nukem forever 2001 build leaked

freyk

53 minutes ago, Nort said:

I was more thinking of the risk of some sort of DMCA claim against the forum itself, and it ending up in some kind of bad standing, but I'm probably worrying over nothing. The internet is a scary place.

Way too far fetched.

I only saw strict rules against promoting, justifying piracy on old Steam forums. Probably also valid for the new discussions thing. But they are a store and a game company. Steam is also DRM in an of itself. So I guess that explains the reasons. Not sufficiently user friendly due to their monopoly as well.

Yeah author's rights matter morally, but copyright doesn't mean that one should be a copyrast (pederast) for profit. And that's what copyright became.

Edited by Anderson
  • Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

36 minutes ago, Nort said:

I was more thinking of the risk of some sort of DMCA claim against the forum itself, and it ending up in some kind of bad standing, but I'm probably worrying over nothing. The internet is a scary place.

Agree with this, it's risky for the forum to publish downloadable content with copyright, because the person in charge is the owner/admin of the forum who allows it, not the user who put the link.

but there the regulations of each country are valid in this regard, extrem use it in German forums according to their own experiences, which do not even allow images without these being checked before if they have copyright or not, if they are not their own images. I certainly find this somewhat exaggerated.

Anyway, in any case it is a good habit to put the sources of content that is posted. Nor should anything happen if someone puts a link to a page, for example one dedicated to downloading games, if it can be verified that the downloads are virus-free, the user does not have to know if the game is legal or not. The responsibility of the Forum in this case can only be limited to checking the security, not any rights that the games on the list may have.

It is also necessary to differentiate between a download for private use, practically always legitimate, or for commercial use, very different and where copyright becomes relevant.
Although there are also nuances there that are sometimes somewhat absurd, such as the Eiffel Tower, without problems to photograph it during the day, but with lighting at night it is illegal to take a photo, because the lighting is copyrighted, it can be considered this problems when posting a photo of the Eiffel Tower at night.

• Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

34 minutes ago, Zerg Rush said:

Agree with this, it's risky for the forum to publish downloadable content with copyright, because the person in charge is the owner/admin of the forum who allows it, not the user who put the link.

but there the regulations of each country are valid in this regard, extrem use it in German forums according to their own experiences, which do not even allow images without these being checked before if they have copyright or not, if they are not their own images. I certainly find this somewhat exaggerated.

Anyway, in any case it is a good habit to put the sources of content that is posted. Nor should anything happen if someone puts a link to a page, for example one dedicated to downloading games, if it can be verified that the downloads are virus-free, the user does not have to know if the game is legal or not. The responsibility of the Forum in this case can only be limited to checking the security, not any rights that the games on the list may have.

It is also necessary to differentiate between a download for private use, practically always legitimate, or for commercial use, very different and where copyright becomes relevant.
Although there are also nuances there that are sometimes somewhat absurd, such as the Eiffel Tower, without problems to photograph it during the day, but with lighting at night it is illegal to take a photo, because the lighting is copyrighted, it can be considered this problems when posting a photo of the Eiffel Tower at night.

I don't understand why you're still going on about copyright. A leak isn't a copyright violation. It's a hacker breaking into a server, and distributing files which were never officially released in the first place, and you then aiding him. I feel like you're deliberately trying to water this issue down, in a pretty ridiculous manner, and I'm glad that I'm not invested enough in this issue, to get upset over it.

1 hour ago, Nort said:

I don't understand why you're still going on about copyright. A leak isn't a copyright violation. It's a hacker breaking into a server, and distributing files which were never officially released in the first place, and you then aiding him. I feel like you're deliberately trying to water this issue down, in a pretty ridiculous manner, and I'm glad that I'm not invested enough in this issue, to get upset over it.

I agree with this, my thoughts are not going about this haccker who steal the code, certainly a copyright violation as generally piracy is. This files are now online and disposable in several webs, With this the question arises, if a person, who does not have to know that these codes are illegal, downloads them and uses them, or part of them, incorporating them into his own project.
How do you want to link this to a copyright infringement, whose criminal responsibility depends on the hacker who stole them and uploaded them to the network?
There may already be thousands who have downloaded these files. Chase everyone?

The only one who can be held legally responsible by the author company is the hacker, no one else.
Besides, I don't think there will be many consequences of this in such an old game from more than 20 years ago, whose code is already of little use in current games and OS
I also don't think that the author company has a significant loss of profits with this, they have already gained a lot with the sale of DN in their time. Another thing would be in a current game, recently released. where such theft can mean a great loss for the company. Even M$ has released the old MsDOS as FOSS.

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

14 minutes ago, Zerg Rush said:

There may already be thousands who have downloaded these files. Chase everyone?

That's what I'm seeing right now, with the Buffalo shooting, where footage is being hunted all over the world. That is something which I am invested in, because not only do I see that as shameless censorship, but my religion is based on obscenities like that footage being especially sacred, and that censoring it is sacriliege. I don't want to live in a padded shelter against the real world.

What I'm saying is, that yes, there can be large-scale operations like that, if some rich company is willing. ...and they might view it as a protection of their IP, because the way that IP:s work, is that you have to continuously demonstrate that you're caring about it, in order for you to maintain ownership. ...and so even if they won't directly lose money from letting a leak spread, it will devalue the Duke Nukem brand. That's why they pay lawyers to independently go after leakers.

No, i am not caring about ownership, I am caring about my privacy in the network, I don't like that big companies make money selling my data. Which is also a security risk, becaus nobody knows how this third parties use my data and how they protect them.

I don't like that MS pages use even companies like TowerData which create user profiles even using keyloggers and mouse moves to do this, thes are the real crime to be aware of.

This surveillance for commercial reasons is worse than a hacker filter some scripts of an old outdated game, this is an atack of the basic rights of the people and often even used for manipulation with polítical reasons.

See what big companies use by yourself 

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5270800A/en

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4717343A/en

It's a dirty world in internet.

About the copyrighted stuff, at this moment i don't care. 
I am looking forward what the community will do with this leaked version.
Because this version was promised to us in 2001 at E3.
In 2011 we got a version with stupid / non working parts.
To me, this leaked version is the version of the e3 2001 trailer! 
(I found the original maps what they used for the trailer)

I played the version and to me, it was blast to the past:
Playing a unreal engine 1 game, changing things using one of the first unreal editors, HUD Overlay weather effects (from MGS 2), Destructible bodies (Soldier of fortune),
And switching between main-menu wallpapers of Nathalie Portman and Britney Spears
(in their young days)

I hope that the community will to things with it, like:
Patching up the maps, creating new maps, adding new physics engine, upgrading their video renders, some re-shade, high textures and models, etc.

I loved what the community did with
"Duke Nukem forever 2013" (mod for Duke Nukem 3D) and "Serious Duke 3D" (mod for Serious Sam).
But this leaked version is the real thing.
(Until someone create/extract the editor from version 2011, for the community to make new maps)

What do you think about this?

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

• 2 weeks later...

I want a Duke Nukem game where Duke fights against an alternate version of himself from the past who is from the future. Confused? Basically, FutureEvil!Duke goes into a depression over his loss of popularity since the 90s, along with changes in pop culture, global geopolitics, entertainment, etc. So he builds a time machine and goes back in time and takes over the Earth instead of saving it, forcing the culture of the 90s to never end, so like in 1984 it is forever looping from 1990 to 1999 and resetting. GoodPresent!Duke has to stop his older self who went to the past from ripping the timestream apart with the repeated decade loop, fighting against EvilDuke's army of alien mercenaries, roided out mutants, and robots he bought from Dr. Proton. Eventually, Good Duke beats Evil Duke and learns a lesson that even though times change, and sometimes not necessarily for the better, we can at least choose whether we react poorly or positively to those changes. Then he eats a triple cheeseburger while riding down the highway in his monster truck.

7 minutes ago, Kurshok said:

I want a Duke Nukem game where Duke fights against an alternate version of himself from the past who is from the future. Confused? Basically, FutureEvil!Duke goes into a depression over his loss of popularity since the 90s, along with changes in pop culture, global geopolitics, entertainment, etc. So he builds a time machine and goes back in time and takes over the Earth instead of saving it, forcing the culture of the 90s to never end, so like in 1984 it is forever looping from 1990 to 1999 and resetting. GoodPresent!Duke has to stop his older self who went to the past from ripping the timestream apart with the repeated decade loop, fighting against EvilDuke's army of alien mercenaries, roided out mutants, and robots he bought from Dr. Proton. Eventually, Good Duke beats Evil Duke and learns a lesson that even though times change, and sometimes not necessarily for the better, we can at least choose whether we react poorly or positively to those changes. Then he eats a triple cheeseburger while riding down the highway in his monster truck.

I thought Duke's philosophy was more along the lines of Ash's "'Good'. 'Bad'. I'm 'the guy with the gun'.". I can't really picture Duke running an entire country. He's too "hetero-active" for that. He'd probably just team up with "evil" duke to double-team chicks.

Edited by Nort

• 2 weeks later...

Another example is coming from myself:

Thanks to my old Unreal 1 editing experiences, today i exported succesfully the new york map (hells kitchen) from Deus ex 1 to DNF 2001. Now i only have to retexture it and put objects and sounds in it. 

And no, it doesnt "scr*wing up my vacation". Because this 2 week vacation is nicely filled with a week-trip to southwest germany, this "manhattan project" and other things.

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!