The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Who Watches The Watcher? v1.0 by DeTeEff (2022/05/28)

DeTeEff

8 hours ago, huntaffer said:

Hi DeTeEff

Thanks for commenting, I suspected this to be a bug .  It's funny and weird. 

You mean at mission start I need to lock my home door ?

Do you think a fix is possible ? 

Very good mission. When I started to play it, I thought this is below average quality and gameplay, but man , this changed very quickly when I reached the pub scene and started to follow Clerwick.

The Roughboys' hideout and the perimeter is very cool. I do not like the horror part of the story , but apart from that 5 out of 5 stars.

Awesome work. 

Glad you like it!

The script resets a lot of stuff in the city (respawning downed guards and adding extra guards if you've downed a lot, depending on difficulty). The trigger box that fires the script is located by those stairs in the service tunnels/sewer area. 

Regarding the home door 

Spoiler

You don't have to lock it, it's just a funny little easter egg I added, that occurs if you don't lock it. 

Regarding the horror elements

Spoiler

There are no more than some gruesome details in some readables and despicable behaviour by some people (torturing women, displaying them in their bedroom etc.) But there's no supernatural elements or something like that. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DeTeEff said:
  Hide contents

To rip out the golden teeth from the head in the corner. Speaking of horror/creepy elements... 

Spoiler

Yeah, thanks. I managed to find out before your answer. I thought the tongs is meant to disable the alarms, so I 've been searching on the wrong spots first.😁

BTW . Is it possible to disable the alarm mechanism on the porcullis system ?

2 minutes ago, huntaffer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, thanks. I managed to find out before your answer. I thought the tongs is meant to disable the alarms, so I 've been searching on the wrong spots first.😁

BTW . Is it possible to disable the alarm mechanism on the porcullis system ?

Spoiler

No, but if you take out the guard, noone will notice the blaring. Very good idea though, with the tongs disabling the alarm :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DeTeEff said:

Glad you like it!

The script resets a lot of stuff in the city (respawning downed guards and adding extra guards if you've downed a lot, depending on difficulty). The trigger box that fires the script is located by those stairs in the service tunnels/sewer area. 

Regarding the home door 

Hide contents

You don't have to lock it, it's just a funny little easter egg I added, that occurs if you don't lock it. 

Spoiler

I guess you don't mean "easter egg" as a segfault in the linux binary , do you 😁 ?

Regarding the horror elements

Hide contents

There are no more than some gruesome details in some readables and despicable behaviour by some people (torturing women, displaying them in their bedroom etc.) But there's no supernatural elements or something like that. 

Love the linear, long progression of the mission. Very smart and good use of light through the level. The crowded places proved to be somewhat of a challenge. Mostly it's about navigating certain areas and getting through scripted scenes. Especially where the entrance to the Pub where Clerwick is. But subtitles usually help to understand that we're supposed to wait.

Clerwick wasn't exactly sipping wine neither unlike the drunk near him :)

Wanted to report an instance where I was stuck in one of the poor slum tenants rooms with cluttered items. I was lured by shiny gold plate of loot but got stuck on the broken bed. Can this be fixed? Screenshots:

https://humanrightsembassy-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/personal/andrei_turcan_humanrightsembassy_org/Ee7ixODDcN1PvvyEazu6ac0BVM9Sg0cSqwQYKTtn1a0CFA?e=NzcGcz

https://humanrightsembassy-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/personal/andrei_turcan_humanrightsembassy_org/EeKeIRiAi31OtA532dD8dQwBmyoqGfpfWIOdka2Z4ZvxnA?e=0hUeRp

https://humanrightsembassy-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/personal/andrei_turcan_humanrightsembassy_org/EZmzCm4pgyFNhzFiNnKpghYB2QM5b2l1idZ-Z1r_uY8pFA?e=h1FiN4

https://humanrightsembassy-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/personal/andrei_turcan_humanrightsembassy_org/EZzwfRljoxVInNykeQ5os6kBIor52nw9a3TKovC5dyo4eA?e=DBdovM

https://humanrightsembassy-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/personal/andrei_turcan_humanrightsembassy_org/ESl7weQm3c1Jpgi7lPx3PocBWYhuglamOB1bHIU5rjdzoA?e=c5J0U3

https://humanrightsembassy-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/personal/andrei_turcan_humanrightsembassy_org/EVyk1gKE-WJCuU6lwwuN-XEBHQ7yJ7GfJPpHEOd1XqpRcw?e=JUFu5a

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

19 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Love the linear, long progression of the mission. Very smart and good use of light through the level. The crowded places proved to be somewhat of a challenge. Mostly it's about navigating certain areas and getting through scripted scenes. Especially where the entrance to the Pub where Clerwick is. But subtitles usually help to understand that we're supposed to wait.

Clerwick wasn't exactly sipping wine neither unlike the drunk near him :)

Wanted to report an instance where I was stuck in one of the poor slum tenants rooms with cluttered items. I was lured by shiny gold plate of loot but got stuck on the broken bed. Can this be fixed? Screenshots:

https://humanrightsembassy-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/personal/andrei_turcan_humanrightsembassy_org/Ee7ixODDcN1PvvyEazu6ac0BVM9Sg0cSqwQYKTtn1a0CFA?e=NzcGcz

https://humanrightsembassy-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/personal/andrei_turcan_humanrightsembassy_org/EeKeIRiAi31OtA532dD8dQwBmyoqGfpfWIOdka2Z4ZvxnA?e=0hUeRp

https://humanrightsembassy-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/personal/andrei_turcan_humanrightsembassy_org/EZmzCm4pgyFNhzFiNnKpghYB2QM5b2l1idZ-Z1r_uY8pFA?e=h1FiN4

https://humanrightsembassy-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/personal/andrei_turcan_humanrightsembassy_org/EZzwfRljoxVInNykeQ5os6kBIor52nw9a3TKovC5dyo4eA?e=DBdovM

https://humanrightsembassy-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/personal/andrei_turcan_humanrightsembassy_org/ESl7weQm3c1Jpgi7lPx3PocBWYhuglamOB1bHIU5rjdzoA?e=c5J0U3

https://humanrightsembassy-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/personal/andrei_turcan_humanrightsembassy_org/EVyk1gKE-WJCuU6lwwuN-XEBHQ7yJ7GfJPpHEOd1XqpRcw?e=JUFu5a

Glad you like the mission! :) Damn, I thought I hade managed to rid those sticky places. Well, well, when you're building irregular stuff one's bound to get stuck, even though I added collision meshes to try to remedy that. I found another sticky place on a roof when I streamed the mission the other day btw... Just have to noclip out of it...

• Like 1

The fog is great,  much better as in the first beta and adds significantly to the mission's mood, congratulations!

Great idea:

Watering can attached to an AI hand

I have never seen that before, oh and

your hanged man moves correctly with the rope.

Can you teach me how to do that with skeletons or bodies trapped in cages?

2 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

The fog is great,  much better as in the first beta and adds significantly to the mission's mood, congratulations!

Great idea:

I have never seen that before, oh and

Can you teach me how to do that with skeletons or bodies trapped in cages?

Glad you like it! I don't think I ever changed the fog from the first beta though 

The hanged man is an unique entity def thing. I downloaded the necessary files from the forums. Sotha was (at least) one of the creators. Bottom line, it's not an ordinary rag doll with a rope attached. I don't know how to create a gibbet though...

Here is the package.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwR0ORZU5sraX3k2QWhZZEt2VUU/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by DeTeEff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I tried to search for the cause of the hyper-alertness, thinking that it might be due to some strange sound in the official release of the engine itself, and I didn't find anything unusual in "tdm_propagated_sounds.def". Have you yourself tampered with values such as "vol", "alert_factor" and "alert_max"? Have you used capitals in your "inherit" values? (These need to be all lowercase in "inherit"-values.) Have you made sure that entities like the Roughboys AI, are properly inheriting their values?

...or maybe it has got nothing to do with the sounds, and it's actually the vision, like with the fog entity, in which case I don't have any experience in that to offer, but you could still look for "alert_factor" properties, and such.

Good luck.

I just finished this FM last night, and it was a ton of fun! I absolutely loved your city design and city atmosphere. It's nice that you took a step away from TDM's tried and true "doom and gloom" aesthetic and made a really vibrant city. It was a wonderful combo of original brushwork and modules, I really loved it. Great work!  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I just finished this FM last night, and it was a ton of fun! I absolutely loved your city design and city atmosphere. It's nice that you took a step away from TDM's tried and true "doom and gloom" aesthetic and made a really vibrant city. It was a wonderful combo of original brushwork and modules, I really loved it. Great work!  

Glad you liked it and also glad you could enjoy it without annoying bugs it seems :D

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DeTeEff said:

Glad you liked it and also glad you could enjoy it without annoying bugs it seems :D

Let he whose FM is without bugs cast the first stone.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gokudo said:

Had a bit of Thief meets Time Crisis vibe to it earlier which was interesting. Loved the new accents the most. Nice change from the usual old voices they keep rehashing.

That accent is from a very talented actor. Had to fly him in, via helicopter, from some far away country. He wasn't cheap to hire. And he requested a Tobleronebar as payment. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/11/2022 at 8:23 AM, DeTeEff said:

That accent is from a very talented actor. Had to fly him in, via helicopter, from some far away country. He wasn't cheap to hire. And he requested a Tobleronebar as payment. 

Lol...guessing he didn't recently drop 62k at an Indian restaurant...

2 hours ago, Spyrano said:

Don't think I've played a TDM mission with such a lively, lived-in, squalid (that's a compliment) city.

Glad you liked it! I tried to create a city with lots of different styles as you progress through the level, from slums to posh mansions. 

• Like 2

I liked this.  It was surprisingly large and complex and there's probably a lot I've missed while following my target.  Mercifully I didn't encounter the segfault problem other people were seeing on this mission, though that happened quite a lot with "Adventures of Thomas" which I played afterwards.

Thanks for providing so many mines as well, I spent far too much time setting traps for the courier.  Turns out six mines is not only enough to blow the corrupt official to pulp, but it can also blast you clean off the balcony into the bargain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tapewolf said:

I liked this.  It was surprisingly large and complex and there's probably a lot I've missed while following my target.  Mercifully I didn't encounter the segfault problem other people were seeing on this mission, though that happened quite a lot with "Adventures of Thomas" which I played afterwards.

Thanks for providing so many mines as well, I spent far too much time setting traps for the courier.  Turns out six mines is not only enough to blow the corrupt official to pulp, but it can also blast you clean off the balcony into the bargain.

Regarding exploration:

Spoiler

After you have infiltrated the hideout and collected your necessary data, you may leave and explore the city at your leisure. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

they always shout about gallows but i seem not to find a proper rope now?

not that i am in a hurry to hang the wash, but if i look up i see a wonderfull lady and i realy would like to have a closer look, if cupido could give a little help here and shoot that hart so i can pull it in , or my self up ??

I like the story but once playing i hoped to climb those planked windows since they all look inviting to me " whats up , is for you to find " is what they say, but noway shortly

I did not finish yet anyway but those balconies looking down at me, they realy provoke.

• 4 weeks later...

That was a different and fun mission. I liked navigating through the crowds - I hadn't seen that in other fm's. It was quite challenging at times, especially during the "follow" section. It was VERY challenging trying to get back home after completing the objectives. I did notice an issue with guards seeing bodies that were stowed in the dark though - I had to make sure to put them in an area that no one ever ventured into (

Spoiler

quite a few ended up in the river😁

).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/27/2022 at 4:39 PM, grodenglaive said:

That was a different and fun mission. I liked navigating through the crowds - I hadn't seen that in other fm's. It was quite challenging at times, especially during the "follow" section. It was VERY challenging trying to get back home after completing the objectives. I did notice an issue with guards seeing bodies that were stowed in the dark though - I had to make sure to put them in an area that no one ever ventured into (

Hide contents

quite a few ended up in the river😁

).

Sorry for late reply. To boggled up in toddler duty at the moment... 

Glad you liked the mission! Yes, I believe the years of optimising the engine (as well as better hardware) has made it more feasible to add crowds in this game. I don't play much missions myself so I don't know, perhaps I'm one of the first to try to implement it. 

Regarding the discovering of corpses

Spoiler

There is a counter that checks your level of violence and if too much violence, more guards will be added and some of these will be carrying torches so there are in fact not many places to hide the bodies. These guys are spawned all over the map and scour their premises for suspicious activity. I assume that it was a torch guard who found your old sins :)

• Like 1

this one is giving me a lot of trouble...

• Others have mentioned the long first part of the mission. There was no map to tell how far I had to go to help gauge when I would find some place important to the story. I kept expecting something and being disappointed by nothing (empty apartments, dead ends, places I couldn't reach... yes, I found the 
    Spoiler

tenement stash and noble's foyer

but that section was sparse)

• In the second part there are a few moments where there is very little time between when Clerwick checks his surrounds and proceeds, to when the "follow Clerwick" objective fails. I tried to get to the final door and failed many times because 
    Spoiler

the guard wouldn't turn away

• having passed that, trying to
Spoiler

find evidence in the warehouse

...the ability of AI to see in the dark like cats is making it incredibly frustrating. Apologies if this sounds like a rant, I just want to enjoy the mission you worked so hard on!