The Dark Mod Forums

Interaction with objects

snatcher

5 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

My issue with auto looting chests and drawers and such, is that you don't always know what you got.
In some games, there's an on screen history of items you picked up, or you can open the console like in Quake 1 and see the history.

What if I'm looking for a key in a chest and loot it, how would the player know they got a key as well as loot?

On-screen messages. Each pickup has a small message saying what was looted and maybe lasts for a few seconds before slowly fading. If other objects are picked up during this time, their messages are shown below one another and have independent fade-out times depending on when they were picked up as well. I think a lot of games do something like this, it's just easy to not notice since it's relatively unimportant most of the time. TDM does like having a minimal hud though so this may be more intrusive than it's worth.

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

I know, that's why I mentioned it. But, it would go against the ethos of the game in general. Minimalist, immersive, sim.

Perhaps for different loot types, there could be a diff sound played, and when a key for an un-pickable lock is picked up, a special sound is played, indicating the player they really should check their inventory.

But, most chests and drawers have junk in them that need to be sifted through, so any change in the code for auto looting, would have to ignore picking up non loot/key items.

But what about quest items for mission specific objectives?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

53 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

My issue with auto looting chests and drawers and such, is that you don't always know what you got.
In some games, there's an on screen history of items you picked up, or you can open the console like in Quake 1 and see the history.

What if I'm looking for a key in a chest and loot it, how would the player know they got a key as well as loot?

As Xolvix said. But as stated before, I don't think auto-looting is really on the table. Or is there anyone thinking this is necessary?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

An update regarding the multilooting.

• I have added two cvars to control the timing, one for the minimum interval between two consecutive frobs, one to handle when to disable multilooting, even if the player still holds down the frob key. I chose the values more or less from guessing, so they are definetely arguable. Cvars are also adjustable via menu guis, so there could be different pickup speeds depending on personal taste (a bit slower to give more time to read what you have picked up e.g.).
  • Multilooting starts if an item that can go to the inventory (loot, weapons, playertools, readables et. al.) got frobbed and the player keeps pressing the frob botton. Other objects cannot be interacted with in this state (you can see this at the second table were I start looting, then frob hilight the button and continue looting. I had the frob button pressed all the time)
  • The normal frobbing mechanics are not affected by this as far as I can tell.
  • One thing that may needs some love is that the code doesn't differentiate were you multiloot. We may not want this on items attached to ai. Any thoughts?

Note that I consider this still a proof of concept as this is quiet some change to a core mechanic, so I would prefer to get some feedback before commiting it.

21 hours ago, Obsttorte said:

Note that I consider this still a proof of concept as this is quiet some change to a core mechanic, so I would prefer to get some feedback before commiting it.

Could you please post the script, so we could test it ourselves?

Just now, wesp5 said:

Could you please post the script, so we could test it ourselves?

Timing is everything. :)

I've just committed the changes to svn. Also filed a bugtracker: https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=5984

I made a little test run on a new job using this feature. There are only to instances were it came to use, but at least you can see

• that normal interactions don't seem to be affected
  • how I suck at TDM :P

(Had to make some adjustments in between. I wanted to cut them out, but the video program didn't 😕 )

• Thanks 1

No. Those are binaries uploaded by someone else who had an issue, so I guess those are the reason. I was surprised myself but normally it loads faster.

On 6/18/2022 at 2:40 PM, Obsttorte said:

I made a little test run on a new job using this feature.

Looks like multiloot® finally solves the problem with hard-to-frob coin stacks in the common under-the-counter cash box. Almost every mission has one or more of these. It is a far better solution to the problem than the totally-not-a-crosshair frob helper.
I will definitely use it.

Btw I played Prey too - but totally missed the multiloot® feature. Would be nice to mention it in the tutorial and have a descriptive tooltip in the settings as it is quite an unexpected quality of life feature when comming from games which don't have it.

11 hours ago, datiswous said:

I would tape it down and run through the mission without looking.

That wouldn't work with the current implementation, though ;)

Multilooting happens under two conditions:

• It starts when the item frobbed was an item that goes to the inventory (loot, ammo, et. al.). This happens on frob key down while said item is frob hilighted. Pressing frob with nothing hilighted has no effect.
  • The multiloot feature disables itself two seconds after the last item was added to the inventory, even if the frob key is still pressed.

I wrote that a few posts above. The whole setup is made in a way that it cannot be exploited in a manner described by you

(I already accounted for lazy thiefs :ph34r:)

• Like 1