The Dark Mod Forums

Image editing software

Nort

22 minutes ago, thebigh said:

If Dark Mod was a point & click adventure game on Windows 3.1    ;)

Are you refering to the image quality? It's because of the file size limitation of the forum. I could probably make the images better than to just make them 25% and save them as gifs, but I figured that you've seen crates and stairs before, right? :P

Edited by Nort

Yeah, it's got that squashed colour pallette look to it. Not that I'm complaining, it brings back some nice memories.

• Like 2

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 3:42 AM, Nort said:

Are you refering to the image quality? It's because of the file size limitation of the forum. I could probably make the images better than to just make them 25% and save them as gifs, but I figured that you've seen crates and stairs before, right? :P

Just use JPEG and you're good.

8 minutes ago, STiFU said:

Just use JPEG and you're good.

You'd think that, since the upload limit is 500 kB (or maybe it was recently upped from 150 kB - I don't know) but once I resize them to 25% in Paint and resave them, it seems that each screenshot size grows a bit, which I guess makes the upload larger than 500 kB. It's happened 3 out of 3 times, and so after that I just figured that since my images aren't showing anything important, it's more suitable to just make them gifs.

Edited by Nort

1 minute ago, vozka said:

I believe this is just the matter of using a more sane image editor.

Paint takes half a second to load for me. Gimp takes like a full minute to load, and takes up maybe half a GB of memory. Paint is very much the more sane option for crude jobs.

9 minutes ago, datiswous said:

You mean paint dot net? If not, you should try that instead.

Why? I already have MS Paint installed, so I'm not going to uninstall premium software I own, and I'm not going to install a third software just to crudely edit photos better. These images deserve their horrible gif quality. You were able to make out all there is to see in them.

2 minutes ago, datiswous said:

Is this to reflect your mapping skills? 😉

Yes.

Listen, I've mapped for about thirty years. When I started mapping Dromed, subtractive CSG was a thing - where we used to carve out a map out of a block of solid, which I very much prefer to this inverse "six brushes makes a room" CSG. ...and before that I did that in professional workstation CAD.

...so yes, I can map. ...but mapping takes a lot of time, for anyone, and your first months worth of results for a map, will just be bullshit, unless you really rush things with "speed-mapping". ...and right now I'm just using my map as a work environment for creating engine patches. I really don't mind to show that what I've made so far is shit. I don't care, because I don't base my selfworth on the validation of others. Even if I would happen to be a shit mapper, I'm still mapping, and that's all that matters. Newbies should not be afraid to map, just because their first rooms will turn out to be shit, and I hope that my shitty images will inspire them - build their confidence that we all start out our maps the same.

No, I'm not mad - I'm just high on coffee. :)

7 hours ago, STiFU said:

IrfanView. The VLC of image viewers / converters / editors. Super lightweight. Supports almost all formats, and the remaining ones  (e.g. dds) can be added via plugins. And there is batch processing of image files. I use it on a daily basis in my job as a software developer in image processing.

Yes, but is Irfanview already installed on my harddrive?

This is like telling me to download Notepad++: I basically have two text editors for plain text, and that's LibreOffice Writer, and Notepad. ...and I often just use Notepad. I use it because it's already installed, I own it, it takes no time to load, and I don't need anything more than a place to type something in.

...and I'm sure that you have your own editor, that you're now going to recommend to me, which is free, and that I can download at this link, and which can do this and this, but it's not going to get me to download something that I don't need, which will take up more space on my drive, and which I guarantee will take longer to load than MS Paint.

Edited by Nort

How does TDM run with the read/write times of your magnetic tape drive anyways? Can we add an IBM 2401 to the minimum specs?

6 hours ago, Nort said:

it's not going to get me to download something that I don't need, which will take up more space on my drive, and which I guarantee will take longer to load than MS Paint

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Nort said:

Yes, but is Irfanview already installed on my harddrive?

I guess you bought your PC with TDM and DR pre-installed?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Airship Ballet said:

How does TDM run with the read/write times of your magnetic tape drive anyways? Can we add an IBM 2401 to the minimum specs?

It runs comfortably well on my Windows 7. I haven't uncapped my FPS, so it's running on a steady 60 FPS at all times. My CPU is very old, but my graphics card I bought just a few years ago, and I think the most recent game I played, was Far Cry 5. It didn't run at 60 FPS, but I'm not that picky. ...so unless you are trying to outdo Far Cry 5 in graphics quality, I wouldn't worry too much.

Edited by Nort

2 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

I guess you bought your PC with TDM and DR pre-installed?

No, but if I did, I wouldn't uninstall it. I don't uninstall things I buy, and when I don't uninstall things, I'm not looking to replace it with something only marginally better, just so that I can have three programs doing the same thing. I have a low end quick program, and a high end program, and that's as far as I go. I don't have some "Tuesday option" or "suave alternative".

44 minutes ago, datiswous said:

You're still using Internet Explorer to browse this forum? It came with Windows 7, no need to upgrade to Netscape Navigator or something..

IE is the low end I paid for, while I also have a high end. There is no need for a third, mid-tier internet browser. Why is the concept of "three" eluding you?

This thread is hilarious! Opting always for the default dumbed down apps that ship with Windows is going to hold anyone back due to old limitations, especially on Windows 7. Case in point is Windows Notepad, which has a series of issues that generate a lot of complaints from Notepad users, aka no regressive undos, no tabs, no spell checker, file size limit, etc. Notepad++ solves all of this. Just saying, there is no shame in being at the forefront of new technology, at least when it costs you absolutely nothing (except maybe more RAM to run it all)!

BTW my image modifier/converter of choice is Faststone Image Viewer. Does it all, Free for Home Users.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shadow said:

This thread is hilarious! Opting always for the default dumbed down apps that ship with Windows is going to hold anyone back due to old limitations, especially on Windows 7. Case in point is Windows Notepad, which has a series of issues that generate a lot of complaints from Notepad users, aka no regressive undos, no tabs, no spell checker, file size limit, etc. Notepad++ solves all of this. Just saying, there is no shame in being at the forefront of new technology, at least when it costs you absolutely nothing (except maybe more RAM to run it all)!

BTW my image modifier/converter of choice is Faststone Image Viewer. Does it all, Free for Home Users.

If I want more undos, I'll just use LibreOffice Writer. ...or WordPad maybe works for that. How often do you need more than one undo when you're writing text?

...and if I want more tabs, I'll just open another Notepad window, and a new tab will sort itself in the taskbar automatically.

...and if I want a spell checker, I'll just consult my internet browser. It doesn't happen that often, because I know English.

...and you want a file size limit? Why??? Are you writing too much and need to be stopped?

With Geany, I have four word processors on my computer.

...but hold on: Notepad++ IS FREE? Is that what you said? Well, that changes everything. Just hold on while I download all the free forty word processors that are better than Notepad, so that I can use all of them instead of Notepad, because, you know, you can't possibly want to use Notepad for anything, because you need spell checkers and five undos incase you make really weird mistakes...