The Dark Mod Forums

Image editing software

Nort

2 minutes ago, datiswous said:

@Nort the point is not that you need a zillion features and therefore need to install all these free programs. The point is these are all great, free, fast and give you just the things you need. It's a selection of great software. If you choose to ignore that, that's fine, but don't say it's not a good option.

Geany is fine as a notepad alternative, I guess you don't need notepad++ (but you can, because it's great).

You do know the difference between a code editor and a word processor? You seem to mix them together like they are for the same thing..

"A word processor (WP) is a device or computer program that provides for input, editing, formatting, and output of text, often with some additional features."
Geany is a word processor as well. ...and I imagine that Notepad++ is as well.

I just don't need anything more than Notepad most of the time. I started out reading the qconsole in Notepad, without the linebreaks. I don't have/need modeling software, and so I just open the lwo models in Notepad, and I can then see what textures the models are using. Writer and Geany will just refuse to open non-text files, but Notepad doesn't complain.

...but like I said: I don't need "great software" to do basic stuff with text files. ...and when I do need it, I have Writer and Geany. If we're talking script code, then yes, I most often use Geany, but the only reason I do that, is because the indentation is shorter in Geany. If we're talking actual programming code, where color coding becomes useful, then I always use Geany. ...but we were talking word processors.

On 6/13/2022 at 12:11 PM, Nort said:

No, but if I did, I wouldn't uninstall it. I don't uninstall things I buy, and when I don't uninstall things, I'm not looking to replace it with something only marginally better, just so that I can have three programs doing the same thing. I have a low end quick program, and a high end program, and that's as far as I go. I don't have some "Tuesday option" or "suave alternative".

I wouldn't just call it "maginally better", considering the crappy image quality of the screenshots you've been posting. 😄 

I guess some people just don't wanna be helped?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, STiFU said:

I wouldn't just call it "maginally better", considering the crappy image quality of the screenshots you've been posting. 😄 

I guess some people just don't wanna be helped?

If I spent a full minute firing up Gimp, I could give you a good image quality.

Ask yourself if you need me to do that. Do you need to see those crates in full HD?

...because I asked myself that question, and I figured that nobody would care.

...but apparently you do care. Apparently it would take less time to fire up ten Gimps, than it's taken to discuss this apparently eluding concept of not wanting free software, with you.

You guys are obsessed with free software. Even if a guy has free software, apparently he could still use more free software, because apparently he needs all the free software.

...but no, I am going to put on the devil horns now, and keep uploading my crappy gifs, using my premium Microsoft software, and stay an enigma to you. Apparently this phenomenon, just can't be explained to you.

Be honest, did you just post dogshit artifacted images so that somebody would say "yo those are dogshit artifacted images" and you could bust out this whole spiel about your 100% organic non-GMO 0% body fat computer, and how unlike the other girls you are? Because I can just press print screen and ctrl+v without leaving this page and hey presto

image.thumb.png.b2a0bda2ae3782537c4080a54fae0405.png

a full-res screenshot that's small enough to fit in the forums. But hey now we have a whole thread about it, so that's cool.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Airship Ballet said:

Be honest, did you just post dogshit artifacted images so that somebody would say "yo those are dogshit artifacted images" and you could bust out this whole spiel about your 100% organic non-GMO 0% body fat computer, and how unlike the other girls you are? Because I can just press print screen and ctrl+v without leaving this page and hey presto

image.thumb.png.b2a0bda2ae3782537c4080a54fae0405.png

a full-res screenshot that's small enough to fit in the forums. But hey now we have a whole thread about it, so that's cool.

Like I said: The screenshots were somehow too big to upload after I scaled them down. ...and so it was just a matter of going to "Save as..." and choosing "Save as .gif". It was a matter of ease and speed, and me not caring if it got "dogshit". I mean just try it yourself. Paste that screenshot into MS Paint and scale it down to 25%, and just to make sure, scale it up and down two times more. Then try to upload it. Chances are that it's gotten too big to upload. Then you arrive at that crossroads, where you could fire up your favourite free image editor, and do that all again, and this time get an image size under 500kB, or you could just immediately save it as a gif, and call yourself special.

I also remember that I was called "nitpicky" last week, which makes this whole thread pretty funny.

However you choose to present your in progress map is of course entirely your business, but I gotta say that "using crappy built-in software" is a strange hill to die on. 

And mspaint being crappy is the only reason why this funny thread exists.

On 6/12/2022 at 1:16 PM, Nort said:

Paint takes half a second to load for me. Gimp takes like a full minute to load, and takes up maybe half a GB of memory. Paint is very much the more sane option for crude jobs.

Get Paint.NET.

Although I'm pretty sure you're just having a laugh at our expense.

Edited by chakkman

3 minutes ago, chakkman said:

Get Paint.NET.

Why? Does it load notably faster than MS Paint? Does it take up negative space on my HD?

Nothing beats my MS Paint. You open it up, it loads, you jam the image in there, and then you save it as a gif, and it all goes really smoothly.

The paint.net download size is 9 megabytes and takes like 1-2 seconds to start on a normal computer... you're sure you're not actually working with a magnetic tape drive?

2 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

The paint.net download size is 9 megabytes and takes like 1-2 seconds to start on a normal computer... 

Plus it (surprise, surprise) does a lot of things that MS Paint won't do.

Although I surely wouldn't want to poach you away from your premium product...

Edited by chakkman

4 minutes ago, chakkman said:

Well... I don't know how this thread originated, but, obviously, there was something wrong with the images you posted. ;)

Yeah, they weren't animated gifs.

3 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

The paint.net download size is 9 megabytes and takes like 1-2 seconds to start on a normal computer... you're sure you're not actually working with a magnetic tape drive?

My MS Paint is faster than 1 second. It's like a racer car.

3 minutes ago, chakkman said:

Plus it (surprise, surprise) does a lot of things that MS Paint won't do.

Although I surely wouldn't want to poach you away from your premium product...

What do you have against premium products? Back when I bought it, Bill Gates was still in charge of Microsoft, and he's my hero. I'm proud of having given him money.

This weird discussion aside, it's perfectly possible to get a full-resolution image via MS Paint simply by saving the image as a jpg (192 kilobytes):

Untitled.thumb.jpg.3cc4e0596f4225344abad70729a49b0d.jpg

or png (472 kilobytes):

Untitled.thumb.png.ca8abb25b9374f5d3337b0a9f4d5a754.png

and have both fit within the 1000 kilobyte upload limit. I have no idea what you're doing on your end that results in you having to save something as a gif.

3 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

This weird discussion aside, it's perfectly possible to get a full-resolution image via MS Paint simply by saving the image as a jpg (192 kilobytes):

Untitled.thumb.jpg.3cc4e0596f4225344abad70729a49b0d.jpg

or png (472 kilobytes):

Untitled.thumb.png.ca8abb25b9374f5d3337b0a9f4d5a754.png

and have both fit within the 1000 kilobyte upload limit. I have no idea what you're doing on your end that results in you having to save something as a gif.

I actually suspect that the upload limit was raised recently, from 150 kB, to 500 kB. Maybe a low reputation has a lower upload limit. In any case, there was plenty of "upload skipped".

Oh, you even have a 1000 kB limit. Gimme! :)

Edited by Nort

4 hours ago, Shadow said:

MS Paint, with all it's ridicule, can do some neat (if mostly 1990s era cartoonish) stuff:

https://www.businessinsider.com/ms-paint-artworks-2014-7

I'm kinda digging the Luke Skywalker one myself.

Sometimes what something can do, is irrelevant. MS Paint is there for me, and it does the job, and that's just all I ask for.

14 hours ago, Nort said:

It's retro. You wouldn't understand. :P

Retro would be trying to use Deluxe Paint using an Amiga emulator. Just because something "does the job" doesn't mean there aren't possibly easier and more effective tools, freeing up the time and effort to allow you to expand and improve your craft.

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

3 minutes ago, Xolvix said:

Retro would be trying to use Deluxe Paint using an Amiga emulator. Just because something "does the job" doesn't mean there aren't possibly easier and more effective tools, freeing up the time and effort to allow you to expand and improve your craft.

But there is no time and effort freed up. Instead I have to spend time and effort downloading and installing and learning a new program, only to discover that it takes a few seconds longer to load whenever I want it to do the basic stuff I ask of it.

...and for all other - actual work - I already have Gimp.

For the hundredth time: I don't need a third, mid-tier editor. It has no use, and my HD isn't some sort of endless meadow to fill with, in this context, crap.

Just now, Nort said:

Not when it's already full on water, no.

Fair enough. I mean honestly - it doesn't really matter what you use, in the end all anyone cares about whether they can do what you need and are capable enough to create the content you desire. All that matters is the end result.

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.