The Dark Mod Forums

Water effects not rendered through warp glass

okay I see what you mean now - this material is 2-sided, so even with a patch you see it on either side.

In the new version of the map, the last window on the right (which used to be empty) is now a patch textured with 'test_warp', so it's one face but with a 2-sided material.

render.map

@duzenko to verify a general cure for this type of issue, the mission "Lords and Legacy" has a torch at the beginning whose heat haze particles break the texture stages of the glass behind them. Likewise the mission "Too Late" has a torch which with haze particles cause the water to render without the overlay texture.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

2 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

@duzenko to verify a general cure for this type of issue, the mission "Lords and Legacy" has a torch at the beginning whose heat haze particles break the texture stages of the glass behind them. Likewise the mission "Too Late" has a torch which with haze particles cause the water to render without the overlay texture.

Rather unexpectedly (for me) this seems to actually fix that there as well 😊

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duzenko said:

That worked.

Now, what do I do with this?  Move it all to my TDM folder and run it?

Is it supposed to be all black like this?  Anyways, I can kind of see that it's working (this is the warp window I'm looking through here)

dmx (2022-06-25 18-21-38) (-39.48 80.73 68.25).jpg

Edited by Frost_Salamander

Hmm…

The water in “No Honor Among Thieves” mission 2 ( anoott.map ) appears to be broken. There are also strange oddities like the effect only working at some distances or viewing angles. The effect also seems to break when rendered in front of the legacy moon ray patches. I wonder if it conflicts with the new “sort last” flag ?

• Thanks 1

Yes, the water is cured by setting "sort decal" instead. There are fog particles that also misbehave due to the conflict. I guess I could copy the material def to the FM and try modifying the copy...

13 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

Yes, the water is cured by setting "sort decal" instead. There are fog particles that also misbehave due to the conflict. I guess I could copy the material def to the FM and try modifying the copy...

Hopefully that won't be necessary

But the thing is, the build before my changes to sort order also seem to view-flicker in that location

Do you have an svn commit that last worked here?

5 hours ago, duzenko said:

Hopefully that won't be necessary

But the thing is, the build before my changes to sort order also seem to view-flicker in that location

Do you have an svn commit that last worked here?

There was some flicker as far back as 2.10 for the fog patches and particles. Something between 2.09 and 2.10 broke that as I recall. I don't recall any flicker on the water in the latest dev build: dev16498-9944

If this functions the way I am guessing, we can probably remove the sort flags from 90% of our material defs because depth and view distance should be enough to cover what goes into the additional buffers.

Eg. I think we are on the verge of having transparency that "just works" with no need to consider sorting situations.

EDIT:

As of SVN revision 9967 NHAT is working including the fog patches.

Too Late is no longer fixed though...

Edit 2:

"Too Late" IS fixed if you set LOD quality to highest ( I see that this is functioning as designed since this feature requires more rendering power etc )

6 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

Edit 2:

"Too Late" IS fixed if you set LOD quality to highest ( I see that this is functioning as designed since this feature requires more rendering power etc )

What about those other glitches in NHAT - do they come back too?

As for the sort keywords - well, any mention of _currentRender and it's ignored already automatically

@Frost_Salamander Regarding your problem - maybe try the latest dev build?

4 hours ago, duzenko said:

@Frost_Salamander Regarding your problem - maybe try the latest dev build?

Will do - I can get that from tdm_installer right?

Edited by Frost_Salamander

So just tried with latest dev version and it looks the same as 2.10.  That is, still can't see the water through warp glass.  I tried both the test map (render.map) and my current WIP map.

The console says my version is 2.11/64 #9944

So, the latest commits are trying to add "sort by distance/depth" for some surfaces, as well as allow several copies of currently rendered framebuffer.

I wonder: how is the problem of Z sorting solved for translucent objects?
I mean: the engine probably already has some sorting for translucent objects to make translucency correct... where is it implemented in the code?

Ugh, I missed your replies, sorry

@Frost_Salamander Are you using the exe from my link? It's supposed to be 32-bit, unlike what you reported above

On 6/27/2022 at 10:29 PM, stgatilov said:

As you probably remember, I'm strongly against tying LOD setting to all kind of unrelated graphics settings 😪
I did not look the latest commits yet, but I think I glimpsed this kind of dependency...

I remember, it's just my understanding/belief that users in general prefer one quality slider instead of dozens of individual console switches. So it's my honest attempt to make life simpler for everyone.

4 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

So, the latest commits are trying to add "sort by distance/depth" for some surfaces, as well as allow several copies of currently rendered framebuffer.

I wonder: how is the problem of Z sorting solved for translucent objects?
I mean: the engine probably already has some sorting for translucent objects to make translucency correct... where is it implemented in the code?

AFAIK it only "groups" surfaces by their type

I.e. first it renders regular materials, then translucent, and in the end post-processing

But the order of surfaces inside each group is not defined. There's a fixed auto-offset added, but it's more like a legacy fix for some old obscure bug than anything relevant to the question in hand