The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Quinn Co. Part 1 - La Banque Bienveillante (Remake) by Airship Ballet

Airship Ballet

11 minutes ago, snatcher said:

Perhaps it's just me?

I doubt it! It is supposed to be a recording playing out of a phonograph, so I leaned on the fact that it's subtitled to make it a bit more compressed, putting vibes over everything else as always! 😄 I've always respected that in T2 they made Karras' recordings basically unintelligible in exchange for an uncanny vibe, and there it's not even subtitled! So no, definitely not just you, but it's intentional if that helps!

Thanks so much for playing! 

Edited by Airship Ballet
  • Like 1

exellent mission 

found two places where you can get stuck 

spare room under the stairs : between the shovel and the mini generator

bedroom : between the fireplace and the bottles

Spoiler

generator room :the switch under the generator ?

• Thanks 1

This was nice, but I would definitely like to see the original version retained - maybe that should also be available as a standalone when Quinn is updated?

Having just played the two side-by-side, the updated version definitely looks nicer, and the smaller premises definitely match the "failing bank" motif better, there are a number of things which I like in the original that just don't come across in the new version.

The wiring puzzle, the larger guard presence being more of a threat, and the idea of having fees deducted for knockouts is an interesting one.  In addition there's something incredibly satisfying about walking away with 25000 gold coins or more, compared to the pocket money you're usually walking away with.  I get that the lugging-the-loot around part can be a little tedious but in a way I found it made the payoff worth waiting for.

Again, don't take this the wrong way, I love that you've updated it, I'm just giving feedback on why I prefer the original.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very fun!  And I didn't cheat!!  Though I was tempted to, at times.  But there's something about the FM that invites the player to continue searching instead of spoiling the whole thing.  Thanks for brightening my day!

Time: 1:06
Difficulty level: medium
Times saved: 13

Damage dealt: 28  Received: 0
Pockets picked: 1
Loot Acquired: 3774 out of 4184
Killed by player: 0
KOed by player: 5
Bodies found: 0
Secrets found: 0

Alerts:
22 suspicious, 2 searches, 0 sightings
Stealth score: 6

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tapewolf said:

Again, don't take this the wrong way, I love that you've updated it, I'm just giving feedback on why I prefer the original.

Not at all! Like I said in the OP, I'll attach the old pk4 when I replace it on the downloader. 

All the puzzles and whatnot are coming back: the missions will get exponentially bigger, complicated and rewarding, just starting smaller than I did initially so that I don't write myself into a corner!

Thanks for playing, past and present! 💗

• Like 2

On 7/1/2022 at 9:24 PM, Airship Ballet said:

Not quite! 

Tried a little more, but I am afraid I do not find a way to proceed. :(

Could you be so kind and elaborate?

P.S. If I return to the starting point, I receive here and then further "Objective Complete" messages.

Coincidentally I came across this "vault loop" myself only today. I liked it, but felt it was perhaps a little too heavy on the bass (which is very, very easy to do). It might benefit from either taking the bass track down a little (e.g. -3dB) or just rolling off the very low frequencies with a bit of EQ to make it fit more comfortably with the other sounds.

• Like 1

A couple of tips that I found most helpful as a newcomer to music production:

• When trying to determine whether things sound balanced, try listening quietly. Everything always sounds better when loud, so by listening at a lower volume you make all the flaws a lot more obvious.
  • Put a hard high-pass filter on absolutely every track, then push the cutoff frequency up as far as you can without ruining the sound. The only thing that should have any content in the sub-bass frequencies is the bass track, and even that should have as little as possible. Sub bass frequencies are present in everything (even your closed hihat), but just eat up space in your mix and make everything sound muddy and boomy.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations on the release. Lovely mission very well made, nice and quick mission. Thank you. The only thing I didn't like was the briefing would've been better louder so you could hear it. I get it's supposed to be a dictaphone recording but if you can't really hear it, then it seems not to be much use. The text helped, but it would've been much more immersive to hear it. The text sort of broke the cool briefing video. Still very good, ghosted it. Never did find the key for the Teller room safe, or the secret people talk about. Still very fun and very well designed. Loved all the custom resources. :)

• Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Played it out recently, not that long after finishing its original (about a month ago).

A nice light crispy snack, to start a long Campaign with, I hope?

Its perfect for a 1st mission of a campaign in that, not too long, not too hard - but promises; Entertainment later... and has all the touches a Master-Chef would put on an appetizer. I just hope I won't starve until the next course is ready.😁

Spoiler

Also where the heck is that Secret? just shy of 4K loot...time to take a 2nd crack at it!

• Like 1

This is very good, and very different from the original. 

What's puzzling me is that, even though I have found the

Spoiler

friendly radioactive rat, several paintings, the contents of the stool in the bedroom, plus I've cleaned out the vault and checked around the building several times, 

I've still only got 3154 out of 4184 loot (on Expert).  Is there another big stash somewhere?

OK, in my haste to get started I didn't spot on the Objectives screen that's there's a total of 1K of rewards to be had from three optional tasks, all of which I have done. But presumably you have to "purchase" them, even though they don't cost anything, in order to receive the rewards.

27 minutes ago, Marbrien said:

OK, in my haste to get started I didn't spot on the Objectives screen that's there's a total of 1K of rewards to be had from three optional tasks, all of which I have done. But presumably you have to "purchase" them, even though they don't cost anything, in order to receive the rewards.

I know at least one of them won't spawn an objective item if you don't opt into the objective in the shop. (That is, unless you noclip past the triggers that delete them).

But yes, the reason I did it that way is because the objectives are mandatory once you agree to them, no backsies!  

44 minutes ago, Dahenjo said:

I made a playthrough with all loot on Expert, may help track it down:

Lovely, thanks! Very comprehensive, way to notice everything 😄

Edited by Airship Ballet