The Dark Mod Forums

Memorials in missions

Xolvix

1 hour ago, chakkman said:

Here it is: 

Well, MS paint should actually be barely "good enough" for just cropping and resizing screenshots.
GIMP actually is absurdly slow to start. Seriously, it should just start fast and do the font loading and shit in the background - like every single IDE does. Imagine JetBrains' Raider or Microsoft's Visual Studio only letting you start coding after the full code base has been reindexed at every start...

I also get that staying on Windows 7 forevor thing - i myself delayed the upgrade until the last security update. He probably isn't as paranoid as me, so may very well stay on windows 7 till his favorite games stop supporting it.
Not sure if really a Microsoft fanboy or just baiting with that "premium MS software" stuff though...

GIMP actually is absurdly slow to start. Seriously, it should just start fast and do the font loading and shit in the background - like every single IDE does. Imagine JetBrains' Raider or Microsoft's Visual Studio only letting you start coding after the full code base has been reindexed at every start...

Looks to me like an old dog trying hard to not learn any new tricks (including a sense for whether you currently trigger the wrong people in a forum - the mods). While i sense some trolling in that thread - he basically just delivered what has been asked for. Just one of the less abbrasive discussions on the Internet.

51 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

The guy's ended up on at least 10 ignore lists and in his final days was posting advice on how to avoid getting raped. It was high time for him to go.

So he posted about politics or other taboos outside the Off-Topic board? Well RIP then. He should have known better.

Respect for achieving that ignore count though. I hadn't the impression that this community is easy on the trigger. But i also don't know how many ignore me...

@OktokoloI am not sure what you're getting at with the whole Nort "triggered" anyone thing - sounds very dismissive of the negative impact they were having. Nort wasn't a pest because they used Windows 7 and ms paint - they were a pest because they belittled and minimized everyones contributions in the same breath and was so present in every thread you pretty much had to ignore them to get any utility out of the forum.

Honestly the members Nort was the least fair to were the ones who showed them the most patience and they got lots of olive branches. We're all ostensibly here for a reason - hopefully when there is some disagreement we still learn something. On this forum I have not seen anyone else so unopen to input yet so obnoxiously convinced they had so much to teach everyone  (“We have such sights to show you.” - Nort).

Why would it be a requirement for anyone to willingly donate unlimited amounts of their time and energy to a belligerent and absolutely immovable object because “internet”? 

Edited by Wellingtoncrab
  • Like 3

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

1 hour ago, Wellingtoncrab said:

@OktokoloI am not sure what you're getting at with the whole Nort "triggered" anyone thing - sounds very dismissive of the negative impact he was having. Nort wasn't a pest because be used Windows 7 and ms paint - he was a pest because he belittled and minimized everyones contributions in the same breath and was so present in every thread you pretty much had to ignore him to get any utility out of the forum.

Yes. And going on and on about things, posting ridiculous arguments, which couldn't be meant serious.

Anyway, I don't feel like putting the boot in after someone left. Just stating what IMO led to the inevitable. I think he well knew what he was doing, and was fully aware of the consequences.

Edited by chakkman

I thought that part of the discussion about code indentation was fun though (I remember the fun parts).

So a man walks into a bar and says "uniform code formatting is a good thing" and everyone nods, mumbles agreement, even invites him to sit down.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Oktokolo said:

Well, MS paint should actually be barely "good enough" for just cropping and resizing screenshots.

I also get that staying on Windows 7 forevor thing - i myself delayed the upgrade until the last security update. He probably isn't as paranoid as me, so may very well stay on windows 7 till his favorite games stop supporting it.
Not sure if really a Microsoft fanboy or just baiting with that "premium MS software" stuff though...

Looks to me like an old dog trying hard to not learn any new tricks (including a sense for whether you currently trigger the wrong people in a forum - the mods). While i sense some trolling in that thread - he basically just delivered what has been asked for. Just one of the less abbrasive discussions on the Internet.

So he posted about politics or other taboos outside the Off-Topic board? Well RIP then. He should have known better.

Respect for achieving that ignore count though. I hadn't the impression that this community is easy on the trigger. But i also don't know how many ignore me...

GIMP isn't so bad, but depending on the task, there are a lot of good image editors out there, way better than Paint (even the little online MiniPaint is better).

On the way are also very interesting projects for 3D animations like this one,* which presents it in a functional and unlimited online demo, which can export the results to Blender, or this one, which allows you to convert a simple photo into a 3D object, easily and without previous modeling knowledge. All this without the need to install anything

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Like 2

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

Wow, talk about a fucking change in topic from the initial post.

And for the record GIMP's loading times are fine on modern hardware, or at least with an SSD. Hell it used to be worse, since as far as I remember reading the Windows version would regularly stall on startup scanning for fonts to make a font cache, but now it scans them in the background speeding up loading times considerably. So I don't know what this crap about it spending time scanning for fonts is since this hasn't been an issue for a number of versions.

• Like 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

I made this thread with the intention of showcasing the strength of the community with some added positivity, while making a small remark at someone's expense. I think things may have been derailed somewhat... but that's the nature of threads I guess. Guess he really hit a nerve with people.

• Like 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

1 minute ago, Xolvix said:

I made this thread with the intention of showcasing the strength of the community with some added positivity, while making a small remark at someone's expense. I think things may have been derailed somewhat... but that's the nature of threads I guess. Guess he really hit a nerve with people.

My apologies for my part in highjacking your thread.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

17 hours ago, Xolvix said:

the grayman painting from The Black Mage

The mission stands out in my memory as being powerful.  It was beautifully done and the situation of the painting in the dining area caused me to pause and take it in.  The mission is a tribute to a cooperative spirit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1