The Dark Mod Forums

The Adventures of Thomas: Lucy's Quest

geegee

The mission pack file goes into the darkmod/fms folder.

That said, the mission was added back to the mission database so it should also be available when browsing the downloads area in-game.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

signal caught: Segmentation fault
si_code 128
Trying to exit gracefully..
----- idRenderModelManagerLocal::EndLevelLoad -----
   0 models purged from previous level,  3790 models kept.
---------------------------------------------------
Regenerated world, staticAllocCount = 0.
--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------
ModelGenerator memory: 984 LOD entries with 2931 users using 631096 bytes, memory saved: 1297821 bytes.
WARNING:idClipModel::FreeTraceModel: tried to free uncached trace model (index=0)
--------- Game Map Shutdown done -----
Shutting down sound hardware
idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
...shutting down QGL
I18NLocal: Shutdown.
------------ Game Shutdown -----------
ModelGenerator memory: No LOD entries.
Shutdown event system
--------------------------------------
Sys_Error: ERROR: pthread_join  failed

shutdown terminal support
About to exit with code 1

4 hours ago, Kainos said:

How to open the big gate near weezel

Can't be opened from the outside.  The key is on back-right-hip of one of the builder guards posted next the to gates on the inside.  Once those gates are opened the entire map is opened up.

The large portcullis/gate you enter through to get inside is opened by alchemist Symon Gray's key.

17 hours ago, davyspark343 said:

si_code 128

I don't think this log will explain anything.

If you experienced a crash during gameplay, you can explain where and how it happened, is it repeatable, post a savegame, share a crashdump. Speaking of crashdump, you can run TDM under gdb and execute generate-core-file gdb command after it crashes.

Well I'll emerge from the shadows for the first time, from which I have been lurking since The Dark Project in 1998. Thank you so, so much for all the missions and hours upon hours of fun everyone. 

Thank you in particular @geegee. Your mission is huge, detailed, has a great story, and of all the hundreds and hundreds of missions and FMs I have played, is one of the most artistic, well thought out and well executed missions I have come across. 

I have however managed to get stuck:

Spoiler

I have the objective of dropping the Hoppie evidence into Airmid's drop box. I've found two pieces of evidence, but neither/both are fulfilling the objective. What am I missing here?

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, TerrificTom said:

I have however managed to get stuck:

Thank you for the kind words.  It means a lot.

I might've done the Hoppie evidence side objective sloppily.  

Spoiler

There're three pieces of H evidence.  two in the nearby Hoppie buildings, one in Scarletbotham's manor.

Edited by geegee

1 hour ago, CountMorillonite said:

Where is the Junkyard Key ?

You can get in the junkroom by a back way.   

Here's the spoiler

Spoiler

Otherwise, the junkroom key is the only key in the mission that's truly "hidden", it's hidden under a moveable board right beside the junkroom door.  The back way, which leads through the 2nd floor of the Ox and from there to the Hoppie buildings (showroom and warehouse) is through the open window - across from Hoppies.  The Hoppie showroom and warehouse keys are hooked on the walls, inside - so the only way in is via the usual thieves route.

On 7/20/2022 at 4:21 AM, wesp5 said:

Has the mission been renamed or removed from some servers?

It's there in the mission downloader, third down right after Accountant 1,2.  Has the long name "The adventures of Thomas: Lucy"

1 hour ago, geegee said:

You can get in the junkroom by a back way.   

Here's the spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Otherwise, the junkroom key is the only key in the mission that's truly "hidden", it's hidden under a moveable board right beside the junkroom door.  The back way, which leads through the 2nd floor of the Ox and from there to the Hoppie buildings (showroom and warehouse) is through the open window - across from Hoppies.  The Hoppie showroom and warehouse keys are hooked on the walls, inside - so the only way in is via the usual thieves route.

I should have gotten that one. Thanks. How about the other key, the Accounts Room Key ?

• 3 weeks later...

So before I give up on this (because I can't go further) I'm here begging for some help. I don't know what I am missing. 

Spoiler

I've been to Aiden's hut and have the builder hall key. Made it through the inner court yard to a door that says it wants the Helot's Quarter Key. Can not find. I finally found the S's porticullis key so was able to get all the way back to the farm. Did the optional objective while I was there but no further instruction. While in the manor locked doors said I need Scarlebotham key or Account key. Can not find either. 
Am I missing a step somewhere? From looking at the map it looks like I can get into the hall from Aiden's hut area but can't find any entry way. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. :)

@Thiefette

This is a long spoiler.  My intent in making the mission was more to tell a story than puzzle people to death. 

Spoiler

Airmid's staff isn't in Helot's quarters, it's in the first area of the hall.  Once in the hall the only way forward is down the stairs, past the area where Helot is patrolling back and forth from his desk inside, out the door to the lectern and back again.  The key to Airmid's staff display is on Helot's right hip.  

The staff itself is under Helot's lectern on a level with the four guards forced to listen to Helot's rantings.  You can't pick it up yet because that location is guarded by electric something-or-other. 

There's a key "hidden" under a picture on Helot's desk down there, where you maybe KO'ed him.  It's for the desk drawers.  A note in one of the desk drawers has two pieces of information: 1.  It says touching the "gargoyle" switch behind Helots desk (where you're reading the note) has something to do with the staff (lowers the staff to the lower display room where the player can grab it after using the display key).    So:  KO or pickpocket Helot to get the display key,  and frob the gargoyle switch behind his desk, then go down and collect Airmid's staff.  2.  It says Helot has Scarletbotham's book on necromancy in his private quarters.  The key for that  is "hidden" in Scarletbotham's private rooms at the manor, above his dungeon.   So you'll have to return to the hall later, after you get the quarters key.  I put in a couple teleport back/forth locations to quicken the pace.

You broke the mission by somehow entering through the portcullis and main entrance and bypassing Aiden's route.  The notes recommended you not do that - too well guarded.  That you could do it shows a serious mission design flaw!  Your playthrough should still be salvageable though.  So if you want to salvage it, listen close!

Aiden's route past the hut opens only after you return Airmid's staff to the dropbox at Aiden's hut.  That was your only necessary task at that early point in the game.  A bit of magic happens and a safe route to the manor is opened.  This bit of magic becomes a recurring theme distinguishing the pagan way/world and it happens twice more, after the farm and after AIrmid's grotto.  Now careful, a part of the magic is a note appears in a puff of smoke on the stump near the strange plant at the Hut.  Picking up the note initiates your next major objective!  Which is simple:  get to the farm and drop that note "sealed for Gwyneth" in Gwyneth's drop box in the barn at the farm.  Then follow Gwyneth and magic magic magic after a little party near the fire at the gazebo magic happens and another note appears along with some supplies including an all important key.  Read the note.  It says "Return Smythe to the sickbed (a bed near the kitchen)."  It says that the key opens some doors in Scarletbotham's manor - your route to Smythe.  The note mentions other optional objectives. 

So go get Smythe, do whatever optional objectives you want, maybe find Helot's private quarters key in Scarletbotham's private room up top there.  It's hardly hidden at all.  Pickpocket Scarletbotham for the dungeon key.  ->GET SMYTHE<-.  Drop him on the sickbed in the kitchen at the farm.  Mandatory objective achieved!  It triggers Gwyneth.  Follow Gwyneth from the sickbed through the kitchen front door.   She stops at a familiar magic plant.  Magic happens - a way forward is opened up.   A teleport back to Aiden's hut appears near the new opening.  You can put off the optional objectives for now - just ignore the teleport or maybe test it out but come back and follow the new route, collect the supplies in the opened passage.  Read the note with the supplies.  Nothing mandatory needs to be done now - just get past Bleakhouse and to the ... magic plant.  Check out the plant.  The plant opens a new way forward straight to Airmid's grotto.  Collect Airmid's herbs at the grotto.  Go forward from there - to the lab and alchemist Gray.  Drop the herbs in Gray's dropbox.  Wait for Gray.  Collect Gray's decoction and all mandatory objectives are done.  If you go forward from there you arrive at the inner courtyard of Weezil's buildings and the Ox.  Now, after grabbing the key from one of the guards at the gate the entire map is opened up.  Find a way back to the mission starting point and conclude the mission, or do the optional objectives and discover the value of newsrunners.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, geegee said:

@Thiefette

This is a long spoiler.  My intent in making the mission was more to tell a story than puzzle people to death. 

Hide contents

Airmid's staff isn't in Helot's quarters, it's in the first area of the hall.  Once in the hall the only way forward is down the stairs, past the area where Helot is patrolling back and forth from his desk inside, out the door to the lectern and back again.  The key to Airmid's staff display is on Helot's right hip.  

The staff itself is under Helot's lectern on a level with the four guards forced to listen to Helot's rantings.  You can't pick it up yet because that location is guarded by electric something-or-other. 

There's a key "hidden" under a picture on Helot's desk down there, where you maybe KO'ed him.  It's for the desk drawers.  A note in one of the desk drawers has two pieces of information: 1.  It says touching the "gargoyle" switch behind Helots desk (where you're reading the note) has something to do with the staff (lowers the staff to the lower display room where the player can grab it after using the display key).    So:  KO or pickpocket Helot to get the display key,  and frob the gargoyle switch behind his desk, then go down and collect Airmid's staff.  2.  It says Helot has Scarletbotham's book on necromancy in his private quarters.  The key for that  is "hidden" in Scarletbotham's private rooms at the manor, above his dungeon.   So you'll have to return to the hall later, after you get the quarters key.  I put in a couple teleport back/forth locations to quicken the pace.

You broke the mission by somehow entering through the portcullis and main entrance and bypassing Aiden's route.  The notes recommended you not do that - too well guarded.  That you could do it shows a serious mission design flaw!  Your playthrough should still be salvageable though.  So if you want to salvage it, listen close!

Aiden's route past the hut opens only after you return Airmid's staff to the dropbox at Aiden's hut.  That was your only necessary task at that early point in the game.  A bit of magic happens and a safe route to the manor is opened.  This bit of magic becomes a recurring theme distinguishing the pagan way/world and it happens twice more, after the farm and after AIrmid's grotto.  Now careful, a part of the magic is a note appears in a puff of smoke on the stump near the strange plant at the Hut.  Picking up the note initiates your next major objective!  Which is simple:  get to the farm and drop that note "sealed for Gwyneth" in Gwyneth's drop box in the barn at the farm.  Then follow Gwyneth and magic magic magic after a little party near the fire at the gazebo magic happens and another note appears along with some supplies including an all important key.  Read the note.  It says "Return Smythe to the sickbed (a bed near the kitchen)."  It says that the key opens some doors in Scarletbotham's manor - your route to Smythe.  The note mentions other optional objectives. 

So go get Smythe, do whatever optional objectives you want, maybe find Helot's private quarters key in Scarletbotham's private room up top there.  It's hardly hidden at all.  Pickpocket Scarletbotham for the dungeon key.  ->GET SMYTHE<-.  Drop him on the sickbed in the kitchen at the farm.  Mandatory objective achieved!  It triggers Gwyneth.  Follow Gwyneth from the sickbed through the kitchen front door.   She stops at a familiar magic plant.  Magic happens - a way forward is opened up.   A teleport back to Aiden's hut appears near the new opening.  You can put off the optional objectives for now - just ignore the teleport or maybe test it out but come back and follow the new route, collect the supplies in the opened passage.  Read the note with the supplies.  Nothing mandatory needs to be done now - just get past Bleakhouse and to the ... magic plant.  Check out the plant.  The plant opens a new way forward straight to Airmid's grotto.  Collect Airmid's herbs at the grotto.  Go forward from there - to the lab and alchemist Gray.  Drop the herbs in Gray's dropbox.  Wait for Gray.  Collect Gray's decoction and all mandatory objectives are done.  If you go forward from there you arrive at the inner courtyard of Weezil's buildings and the Ox.  Now, after grabbing the key from one of the guards at the gate the entire map is opened up.  Find a way back to the mission starting point and conclude the mission, or do the optional objectives and discover the value of newsrunners.

Thank you so much for your reply. I was enjoying the story and the puzzles. I guess my problem seems to be seeing keys, don't know if its my eyes or my settings lol, but am having a lot of difficulty with that. I will go check him again. 

Spoiler

I don't know if I broke the mission or not as I went through the front gate at the manor and yes there were many guards there lol. I started sneaking and when they noticed me I ran like hell and buried my self in the bush until they gave up. 

Thank you again, I look forward to continuing. :)

Edited by Thiefette
Editing to add my progress :) So it wasn't my eyes for keys, but my eyes for a door, in my haste to avoid the guard. Thanks again.

@Thiefette

I think everyone has problems with keys, hidden switches, puzzles, machines where the player has to find all the parts then figure out what to do with them...  It's rare that I play a game and don't check out google at least once.

I think a big part of it is the quasi-realistic 3D environment.  The player enjoys the newness of each area but after searching out a key or something it gets old fast and increasingly frustrating. 

Your gameplay shouldn't be broken.  But you'd have truly been stuck if you hadn't asked for help because you did take a wrong turn that you shouldn't have been able to (have to fix that in an update).  Just drop the Airmid staff in the Hut dropbox to open the way and collect the all important note to Gwyneth (now on stump in front of Hut) and take it to her drop box in the barn.

Oh, and remember there are teleport stations between grotto<->farm and farm<->hut, which makes going back and forth a bit quicker.

• Like 1

So pretty much finished this up yesterday and it is massive. Loved finding new places to explore so thanks again for helping me with my wrong turn. It became quite enjoyable after that. :)

Spoiler

As I mentioned I have all objectives except taking the medicine home checked off, however I'm feeling like its not complete. I have yet to find #2 Newsrunner message and it seems to me that one appears after an objective is completed. I have found 1-5 except #2 - any hints on what I'm missing? Would love to complete it. 

Thank you for all your hard work and look forward to more from you. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 11:48 PM, davyspark343 said:

si_code 128
----- idRenderModelManagerLocal::EndLevelLoad -----
   0 models purged from previous level,  3790 models kept.
---------------------------------------------------
Regenerated world, staticAllocCount = 0.
--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------
ModelGenerator memory: 984 LOD entries with 2931 users using 631096 bytes, memory saved: 1297821 bytes.
WARNING:idClipModel::FreeTraceModel: tried to free uncached trace model (index=0)
--------- Game Map Shutdown done -----
Shutting down sound hardware
idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
...shutting down QGL
I18NLocal: Shutdown.
------------ Game Shutdown -----------
ModelGenerator memory: No LOD entries.
Shutdown event system
--------------------------------------
Sys_Error: ERROR: pthread_join  failed

shutdown terminal support
About to exit with code 1

exact same thing here, as soon as I step out into the large open area at the beginning of the mission..

Hi.

I've taken the lift down from Scarletbottom's secret room.  And dumped him in the spider pit.

I have the dungeon key.  However the dungeon door is not frobable, so I can't use the dungeon key on it.  I've seen a video of someone else playing.  They just walk up to the door and it lights up, and they unlock it with the key.

Any suggestions please?

hello, i am running on and off and now i seek 1st hut after getting a lot already, i read here that the following order is off big importance. with baking bread thats true, you do not start with that match for the fire, first make that dough and then make fire

Spoiler

so i want to crawl back through that nest off a white spider and have to climb UP next to that skeleton laying around with some loot close to it

but

i can NOT jump up here again

it happend once or twice that i COULD climb but litteraly attempting for 10 minutes, again and again.....

is that a bug or is it me who is to stupid to let the engine do its work and LET ME CLIMB UP

it worked before why not AGAIN ?????

i got a bit sick off it, realy. the story is good, but that one point is suddenly very much of a blocking

3 hours ago, CrisiusXIII said:

i can NOT jump up here again

After exiting the vents to the Hoppie area you can't go back that way.  You can't climb back up the vents.  This shouldn't block your game as there's no reason to go back that way.   If you missed any loot, which is likely as some is well hidden, you can get it later by using other routes that open up.  But at this point in your playthrough I suggest just continuing to play the FM.