The Dark Mod Forums

Linux build again

duzenko

I have 8gb and it compiles with no issue here. ( Linux Mint 19.3 )

One thing I do is limit the number of threads to your core count:

make -j$(nproc)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

If I had such problem, I'd look for the object files of GLAD, where these functions are defined.
If they are present, then run objdump to check that the missing symbols are indeed there or missing (they might have slightly different name for instance).
If they are missing, then review the whole compilation log for appropriate .c files.

22 hours ago, stgatilov said:

If I had such problem, I'd look for the object files of GLAD, where these functions are defined.
If they are present, then run objdump to check that the missing symbols are indeed there or missing (they might have slightly different name for instance).
If they are missing, then review the whole compilation log for appropriate .c files.

I actually can't find any .obj's - where are they supposed to be? Near their .cpp's?

8 minutes ago, duzenko said:

It's crazy

I still don't get any .o files or even build\linux64 folder

However make -j$(nproc) succeeds

Ok, I think it depends on how you ran CMake.

This is the script use:

cd ../darkmod_src
cmake -B build/linux64 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
cmake --build build/linux64 -j 6
cd ../darkmod

If you did not set it, then you have it in some different place.

7 minutes ago, duzenko said:

I remember in the good old scons days we could change something and the second compile would be fast. Now every time I run make it just rebuilds the whole codebase. Is there a way to quickly edit and run?

CMake + make is no different from that!

When I run my script, it only compiles the cpp files that have changed.
Of course, with massive PCH you often have to recompile everything, which is not a problem for Windows, but a lot of time for Linux.

Also, there are some first steps (like creating PCH) which take much time, which is rather annoying too.

• Like 1

Windowed mode + console is the only way I can get the mouse back on Linux. I think it's unavoidable: the game is capturing the mouse for freelook and does not give it back until you do something which interrupts the game, e.g. bringing down the console.

21 minutes ago, OrbWeaver said:

Windowed mode + console is the only way I can get the mouse back on Linux. I think it's unavoidable: the game is capturing the mouse for freelook and does not give it back until you do something which interrupts the game, e.g. bringing down the console.

This still happens when "in_grabMouse" is set to 1 ?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

22 minutes ago, OrbWeaver said:

You mean you have this problem as well? Did it start last year after switch to GLFW?

23 hours ago, duzenko said:

You mean you have this problem as well? Did it start last year after switch to GLFW?

It's been like that for as long as I can remember, and I never really considered it a problem as such. This is a 3D game with constant mouselook — I expect it to grab the mouse while it is in the foreground.

23 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

This still happens when "in_grabMouse" is set to 1 ?

With in_grabMouse 1 I get a permanently grabbed mouse, as if I were playing the game exclusively. Bringing down the console releases the mouse, as does Alt+Tab or Super+Tab to another application.

With in_grabMouse 0 the normal cursor displays on top of the window, in addition to the TDM cursor (if on a menu screen). If the cursor is moved outside of the window, the game stops receiving mouse events, which means there is a limit to how far you can rotate the player camera. This is probably useful for testing GUIs and menus but doesn't seem that useful for actual player navigation.