The Dark Mod Forums

[Resolved] Setting for mantle tilt view amount

Daft Mugi

One thing that was uncomfortable for me when I started playing The Dark Mod was how much the view tilted during a mantle. This is similar to the amount of head bob.

For those who are sensitive to motions like that as well, I've attached a patch.

I hope it or a variation of it will be accepted into the main The Dark Mod codebase, since it'll help those players.

The new cvar "pm_mantle_tilt_mod" is a value between 0.0 and 1.0. The default is 1.0, which means no change from the traditional tilt view angle. A value of 0.0 is no tilt. I personally prefer 0.1, which tilts the view only 10% of the traditional amount.

idCVar cv_pm_mantle_tilt_mod(
  "pm_mantle_tilt_mod",
  "1.0",
  CVAR_GAME | CVAR_FLOAT | CVAR_ARCHIVE,
  "The multiplier applied to the tilt view angle during a mantle",
  0.0f, 1.0f
);

(Patch based on r10036.)

Edit

The finalized version present in TDM 2.11.

"pm_mantle_roll_mod"  default:"1.0"                                                              
The multiplier applied to the roll view angle during a mantle

mantle-tilt-mod-v1-r10036.diff

Edited by Daft Mugi
add note about pm_mantle_roll_mod
  • Like 1

I have to admit. I had the same thought after I added yet another cvar. :)

I'd keep the cvars, so there's always that fine grained option.

But, yeah, having something really simple in the menu would likely be welcomed.

Maybe something like: [no motion] [slight motion] [normal]
Or: [reduced motion] [normal]

Shortly after I started playing The Dark Mod, I reduced the head bob and tilt view angle. Otherwise, it's been pretty great!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @stgatilov (cc @nbohr1more)

After some more thought, I really do think "pm_mantle_roll_mod" is a better cvar name, because it matches "pm_bobroll" and other "pm_*" naming. If someone learns about "pm_bobroll" and changes it for head bobbing, they may also search for other "roll" cvars. This will make it easier for them to find "pm_mantle_roll_mod".

I've attached a patch, making it easy to rename the cvar before 2.11 is released.

Thank you!

rename-mantle-tilt-to-roll-v1-r10079.diff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/25/2022 at 8:18 AM, stgatilov said:

I wonder if we should just have one mega-var, which would disable all kind of camera deviations?
Maybe even attach it to a checkbox in main menu gameplay settings...

So, if I understand this right, this would be an optional setting which is not activated by default, right?

I like the mantling the way it is.

• Daft Mugi changed the title to [Resolved] Setting for mantle tilt view amount
5 hours ago, chakkman said:

So, if I understand this right, this would be an optional setting which is not activated by default, right?

I like the mantling the way it is.

Yes, optional. There is no change unless you change the "pm_mantle_roll_mod" cvar.

By default, it is set to 1.0, which means no change.

1.0 is 100% the same.
0.5 is 50% of the original.
0.1 is 10% of the original.