The Dark Mod Forums

Snatcher's Workshop - Mods for The Dark Mod

snatcher

@wesp5

Considering the set of rules established before, what you can do in tdm_frobactions.script is to set the holder non frobable only if it is not being held. Something like this:

// Tels: to be used on f.i. candles, extinguishes the bound flame(s)
// and these in turn will set the unlit skin on us (the holder):
void frob_light_holder_ext( entity holder )
{
	//sys.println("DEBUG: light holder was frobbed to extinguish");
	lholder_toggle_bound_flames( holder, 0 );
	if ($player1.heldEntity() != holder)
		holder.setFrobable(0);		// added by wesp
	entity bind_master = holder.getBindMaster();
	if (bind_master)
	{
		bind_master.setFrobable(1);	// added by wesp
	}
}

I cannot tell however, if this change has any side effects elsewhere.

Edited by snatcher

TDM Modpack 4.0

2 hours ago, snatcher said:

@wesp5

Considering the set of rules established before, what you can do in tdm_frobactions.script is to set the holder non frobable only if it is not being held.

Thanks, that keeps the holder highlighted, but afterwards you can still frob the extinguished candle. Can this be removed somehow?

22 hours ago, wesp5 said:

Thanks, that keeps the holder highlighted, but afterwards you can still frob the extinguished candle. Can this be removed somehow?

You mean this?

• If you frob the holder, and use the item while holding it, and if the candle is ignited, it gets extinguished. When you drop the item, only the candle is frobable. If you frob the candle, the candle becomes non frobable and the holder becomes frobable. If you frob the holder, you grab the duo.

I don't feel comfortable setting items to non frobable. Use the following at your own risk (tdm_frobactions.script):

// Tels: to be used on f.i. candles, extinguishes the bound flame(s)
// and these in turn will set the unlit skin on us (the holder):
void frob_light_holder_ext( entity holder )
{
	//sys.println("DEBUG: light holder was frobbed to extinguish");
	lholder_toggle_bound_flames( holder, 0 );
	if ($player1.heldEntity() != holder)
	{
		holder.setFrobable(0);		// added by wesp
	}
	else
	{
		entity child;
		float ind;
		for( ind = 0; ind < holder.numBindChildren( ); ind++ )
		{
			child = holder.getBindChild( ind );
			child.setFrobable(0);
		}
	}
	entity bind_master = holder.getBindMaster();
	if (bind_master)
	{
		bind_master.setFrobable(1);	// added by wesp
	}
}

Cheers!

Edited by snatcher

TDM Modpack 4.0

Thanks, that did the trick :)! It seems you have a much better understanding of the TDM script language than I have. Is it based on a programing language? Also I'm aware of possible problems with making things non frobable, which is similar to your lighting-everything skill in that it could break a mission. I think we are save with the moveable light sources, but when Dragofer looked at writing a script to fix lit lights set to unlit in the maps he already warned me about an oil lamp switch in "The Painters Wife" which is not using an oil lamp classname though so it isn't affected by anything we do about the lamps.

Edited by wesp5

5 hours ago, snatcher said:

No idea. Looks similar to (a basic) Java.

The scripting language is Doomscript, which is a simplified version of C++.

• Like 1

I think there's room for one more skill... a little unorthodox ability...

---

By the way, does anyone know how to control the red/green icon overlay on key press? I am unable to get rid of the green overlay on key press, and when if try with:

$player1.callGui($player1.getInventoryOverlay(), "onInvNegativeFeedback");

Both the green and red overlap and creates a yellow overlay.

TDM Modpack 4.0

• snatcher changed the title to Snatcher's Workshop - Mods for The Dark Mod (v1.4)

Things are moving faster than anticipated...

TDM Modpack v1.4 released in the opening post

• Introducing: PLAYER SKILLS MOD - ALTERATION v1.0
  • Credits: VanishedOne (speed potion), kingsal (invisibility potion), snatcher (alchemy)

----------------------------------------

An old transcript tells the story of six pilgrims looking for enlightenment. They settled on some old ruins far in the East and decided to devote their life to the study of the four elements: water, earth, fire and air. Two members would watch after the group and provide shelter, food and water. The other four members would each specialize on one element. Years went by and rumors of bizarre noises and strange sightings spread across the land. The night the locals, out of fear, stormed the place they found nothing but an inscription carved in stone: "The Path to the Void".

Investigations led me to a Church in the North-East. It would seem a priest there acquired long ago some knowledge and down in the crypts, in the arch above his resting place, there it was the aforementioned writing: "The Path to the Void". Inside the tomb, along with his remains, I found an old tome: "The Path to Umbra" or, "How to become one with the shadows". Trust me when I say I find the subject most interesting.

The tome is incomplete. It describes in detail an intermediate state referred as "Penumbra" but the narration abruptly ends shortly after the introduction of an "Umbra". I have since been meditating on this knowledge and practicing the different techniques and I made progress. Whether the result is achieved by spiritual stimulation and physical training or other mystical forces are at play I cannot say, but I am now ready to put this exhausting ability to good use in the event of a sudden need...

----------------------------------------

Visit the opening post for more details and the download.

Here is the full changelog:

v1.4 - New release

• One last reorganization of the code. "PLAYERTOOLS" replaced with "PLAYERSKILLS" where appropriate.
  • Minor adjustments and tweaks here and there.
  • PLAYER SKILLS MOD - MANIPULATION v1.2: More small flames added to the mix.
  • PLAYER SKILLS MOD - ALTERATION v1.0: Initial release.

Cheers!

Edited by snatcher

TDM Modpack 4.0

So the Penumbra item is basically a combination of the Speed Potion and the Invisibility Potion? When I found a screenshot of the cut potion I read the connected threads and it seemed to me that high speed is prone to break missions when it increases jumping width so I took the save route and restored it as Invisibility Potion for the patch, thanks to Kingsal.

1 hour ago, snatcher said:

I hope I didn't break much!

I just tested your mod and while I can't say anything about specific missions, here are my observations:

- Shadowmark: The card looks very dark even in lit places and it does not get highlighted if you pick it up. Also is there a trick to drop more than one card? Anyway, this is not something I will include in the patch.

- Penumbra: This looks cool, but once the timer ran out, I couldn't use it again. Is this intended? Again this is too much for the patch, but maybe you should consider doing a "magical thief mod" with more features!

Edited by wesp5

11 minutes ago, Hooded Lantern said:

thx. any way to choose which mod to use?

Not at this moment, unfortunately. I mean, we could have individual mods but then you cannot mix them. It is a limitation of the scripting tool-set we have simply because it isn't intended for individual mods. Perhaps in the future things improve in this area but as of today, it has to be the full package.

If there is something you would like to get rid of I could get you an aid, I guess.

• Thanks 1

TDM Modpack 4.0

Thanks for testing, @wesp5

5 minutes ago, wesp5 said:

- Shadowmark: The card looks very dark even in lit places [...]

Perhaps your gamma? I don't know. Cards look good here.

[...] and it does not get highlighted if you pick it up.

I cannot confirm. Cards highlight perfectly fine here.

Also is there a trick to drop more than one card?

Are you dropping or tossing?

Anyway, this is not something I will include in the patch.

No probs, fellow.

- Penumbra: This looks cool, but once the timer ran out, I couldn't use it again. Is this intended? Again this is too much for the patch, but maybe you should consider doing a "magical thief mod" with more features!

You need a little more training to understand what's going on, that's all 😉

Thanks for the feedback!

TDM Modpack 4.0

26 minutes ago, snatcher said:

You could spin some kind of story of a magical guild that teaches thieves, similar to the one you used to explain Penumbra. Then everybody installing your mod could play the "Magical Thief" and even the Shadowmarks fit the setting! You could try to add even more features like Blink from Dishonored and other supernatural stuff. "Workshop" doesn't sound like much in comparison ;). Oh and maybe my problems with some of your new features are my own patch interfering with your mod...

Edited by wesp5

1 hour ago, snatcher said:

I case my comment was misunderstood... our protagonist cannot learn about Umbra and hardly understands Penumbra and the effort sucks vital stamina big time. Find health potions or holy fountains to make use of it longer.

48 minutes ago, wesp5 said:

You could spin some kind of story of a magical guild that teaches thieves, similar to the one you used to explain Penumbra. Then everybody installing your mod could play the "Magical Thief" and even the Shadowmarks fit the setting! You could try to add even more features like Blink from Dishonored and other supernatural stuff. "Workshop" doesn't sound like much in comparison ;).

Ah! I try to stay grounded. If there ever is something different I will try to present it separately.

Oh, and it isn't a "You", it is a "We", as in, all of us.

48 minutes ago, wesp5 said:

Oh and maybe my problems with some of your new features are my own patch interfering with your mod...

I would say that's the root cause. The Unoffical Patch and these mods don't mix up well.

Edited by snatcher

TDM Modpack 4.0

• snatcher changed the title to Snatcher's Workshop - Mods for The Dark Mod

TDM Modpack v1.6 released in the opening post

Based on the good work by kcghost, Dragofer and others I am pleased to share with you:

STATS INVENTORY MOD v1.0

• Credits: kcghost, Dragofer, snatcher.
  • Description: Display some stats and the stealth score during a mission. Just bring up the "Loot" inventory icon and press "Use".

A picture is worth a thousand words, right?

Stats.jpg

You can find the download in the first post.

Cheers!

v1.6 - New release

• STATS INVENTORY MOD v1.0: Initial release.
• PLAYER SKILLS MOD - DISTRACTION v1.2: Reduced the whistle propagation sound a little.
• PLAYER SKILLS MOD - LOCATION v1.1: Prevented the cards from showing as loot when using the console.

TDM Modpack 4.0

TDM Modpack v1.8 released in the opening post

Based on a work by Obsttorte, here is my take on the blackjack.

CLASSIC BLACKJACK v1.0

• Credits: Obsttorte, snatcher.
  • Description: A straightforward approach to blackjacking with new rules and mechanics inspired by Thief Gold. Never miss a KO again.

Instead of calculating a model collision the "Classic Blackjack" will evaluate the conditions and trigger a KO. Just get close to an AI and aim for the head. You will never hit door frames or anything or miss a KO again. Guaranteed!

Classic Blackjack rules:

Some AI are KO-immune and cannot be KOed:
* Undead, creatures...
* Guards wearing heavy helmets (to respect TDM vision)
* Other: set by mission authors for the plot, in example

The rest of AI can be KOed, just aim for the head:
* Civilians: Can always be knocked out from any direction
* Combatants: Can always be knocked out (including when fleeing) from any direction except when in high alert state (normally in combat mode)

------------------------------------------------------------

In addition, the download now includes an new extra mod:

FOOTSTEPS WATER v3.0

• Credits: SeriousToni.
  • Description: Alternative footsteps on water sounds.
  • Topic: New Footstep sounds

These two mods can be enabled / disabled separately.

JSGME-2.jpg

v1.8 - New release

• CLASSIC BLACKJACK v1.0: Initial release.
• FOOTSTEPS WATER v3.0: Initial release.
• PLAYER SKILLS MOD - MANIPULATION v1.3: One more small flame added to the mix.
• Mods now come in pk4 format.

Cheers!

Edited by snatcher

TDM Modpack 4.0

The "Classic Blackjack" will not work in the following missions:

• A House of Locked Secrets
  • By Any Other Name
  • Hazard Pay
  • Iris
  • Noble Affairs
  • Snowed Inn
  • Shadows of Northdale ACT I
  • Shadows of Northdale ACT 2
  • Volta 1: The Stone
  • Volta 2: Cauldron

The mod won't break any of these missions, the "Classic Blackjack" will simply not be available.

When mission creators include base files in their missions there's no elegant way to override this decission. The developers should seriously give us players control in this area.

TDM Modpack 4.0

Great to see you are still working on this :)! But I have two questions: 1) As Obsttorte is involved in the Classic Blackjack version, is this the one he wants to include into the core game? I though this was not possible using scripts. 2) Are the new footsteps something for the patch? Like are they fixing missing footstep sounds or are they only different sounding ones?

Edited by wesp5

Hey wesp!

24 minutes ago, wesp5 said:

1) As Obsttorte is involved in the Classic Blackjack version

Thanks to Obsttorte, TDM v2.11 will be delivered with Blackjack improvements and apparently new mechanics. To what extent, I don't know. It would be good to have the current or future Blackjack rules fully explained somewhere.

*My* take is my own thing.

24 minutes ago, wesp5 said:

I though this was not possible using scripts.

Obsttorte is Legend!

28 minutes ago, wesp5 said:

2) Are the new footsteps something for the patch? Like are they fixing missing footstep sounds or are they only different sounding ones?

Alternative sounds.

Stock footsteps on water are fine in 95% of the missions since stepping on water isn't common or doesn't go on for too long. Regardless, it always sounded to me like being in a bathtub. The turning point for me was the mission Marsh of Rahena, I couldn't bear it anymore after a while. Marsh of Rahena is a good mission if you want to compare the stock and the alt version.

• Like 1

TDM Modpack 4.0