The Dark Mod Forums

Snatcher's Workshop - Mods for The Dark Mod

snatcher

TDM Modpack v2.6 released in the opening post

What's new?

~ SKILL: COMBINATION v1.0

Arrow types:

1. Darkdust: widely believed to be a myth, little to nothing is known about anti-light matter. Where did our protagonist get his formula from? When this substance is subject to strain the particles implode and the residual component absorbs light until it dissipates completely.
  2. Moonlight: a recipe based on luminescent mushrooms and other exotic herbs. The resulting powder produces, for limited time, a dim but steady blue-ish glow when mixed with the right reactive.

~ SHOULDERING BOOST MOD v1.0

Have fun!

• Like 2

TDM Modpack 4.0

TDM Modpack v2.7 released in the opening post

One more maintenance update. None of the changes are critical therefore if you are happy with v2.6 you can stay at v2.6 until you are ready to update.

• Non-critical bug-fix: Paintings that have a replacement were not spawned upon frob.
  • Non-critical bug-fix: Wrong reference in tdm_loot.gui.
  • Minor revision of the MANIPULATION skill.
  • The "Footsteps on Water" sound mod by SeriousToni is now integrated into the main Modpack.

Regarding the latter, I planned at some point to provide an alternative sound mod - at least for the footsteps - but I scrapped the idea because I noticed sound files and audio files have been tailored over time to fit different needs in different ways and I realized that I would have ended up editing too many large sound files to allow for few changes.

You can find the download link in the first post on this topic.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I have some more ideas I would like to see some day realized. Some of the ideas might not be for everyone and I would like to present them separately but, unfortunately, I am limited by the fact that as of today there can only be a single tdm_user_addons.script, meaning we cannot easily mix and match different mods.

I am afraid things will slow down from now on.

What's the general opinion about the existing standalone mods? Are standalone mods good for the present and future of TDM? Should TDM embrace a proper mod ecosystem to allow the modding scene grow and evolve?

• Like 1

TDM Modpack 4.0

TDM Modpack v2.8 released in the opening post

Please note this new version is only compatible with TDM 2.11 (or higher). It won't work in previous versions of the game.

What's new?

~ SMART CONTAINERS MOD v1.0

Our friend @Obsttorte added new functionality to TDM 2.11 that allow us to tackle a long standing problem: difficult to frob objects inside containers. Newer maps come with improved chests and a number of older maps and prefabs were at some point revisited but still, many containers out there remain a constant source of frustration for players.

The "Smart Containers Mod" will make the bottom of containers (chests, jewelry boxes...) non-frobable right at the beginning of the mission. I tested this implementation extensively and I didn't find any usability problems nor I detected any issues that might break a mission and I think it is safe to share the mod with the community. Let me know if you find any oddities in your looting adventures!

Smart-Chest.jpg

Smart-Box.jpg

-----------------------------------------------

~ CLASSIC BLACKJACK MOD v1.2

The "Classic Blackjack" also gets a little update to include some code from TDM 2.11.

Thanks, once again, to @Obsttorte blackjacking has been GREATLY improved in 2.11 and the Classic Blackjack Mod isn't as relevant as before, but since the mod comes with its own rule-set it still has a place within the TDM Modpack.

-----------------------------------------------

You can find the download link in the first post on this topic.

Changelog:

==============================
  v2.8 - New release
------------------------------
• Compatible with TDM 2.11 (or higher)
• SMART CONTAINERS MOD v1.0: Initial release.
• PLAYER SKILLS MOD - ORIENTATION v1.2 - Fixed card highlighting issue when r_newFrob was set to 0.
• PLAYER SKILLS MOD - COMBINATION v1.1 - Fixed arrow effect not showing up properly in some circumstances.
• (Internal) Major and minor adjustments here and there.

Cheers!

• Like 3

TDM Modpack 4.0

1 hour ago, snatcher said:

The "Smart Containers Mod" will make the bottom of containers (chests, jewelry boxes...) non-frobable right at the beginning of the mission.

@Dragofer, is this different to what you provided to me for the patch already in the middle of 2022? If so, what are the advantages?

I was reluctant to set objects to non-frobable but this solution fits my vision and it goes in line with the chests @Dragofer offered in his missions therefore my approach is in line with his vision, I believe?

The path I am taking definitely is more aggressive, therefore more risky. Once an object is set to non-frobable there's no way back. If the wrong object sneaks through the code it might very well break a mission. Time will tell.

Here is the relevant code (there's a mistake in the comments, I am not comparing areas but volumes):

// SMART CONTAINERS MOD by snatcher
	// Make bottom of containers non-frobable to facilitate looting
	// -------------------------------------------------------------------------
	// It does not work with custom entities, ie: RelicChest in Tears of St. Lucia
	// Look out for other initiatives, ie: smart_chest.script in Sam Wilson 1: Eastbound

do
	{
		entity container_body = sys.getNextEntity("spawnclass", "CFrobLock", container_body);

//		if (container_body != $null_entity && container_body.getFloatKey("frobable") == 1)
		if (container_body != $null_entity && container_body.isFrobable())
		{
			float i;
			for (i = 0; i < container_body.numTargets(); i++)
			{
				entity container_door = container_body.getTarget(i);

//				if (container_door != $null_entity && container_door.getKey("spawnclass") == "CFrobDoor" && container_door.getFloatKey("frobable") == 1)
				if (container_door != $null_entity && container_door.getKey("spawnclass") == "CFrobDoor" && container_door.isFrobable())
				{
					// the area of the body must be larger than the area of the door
					vector dimensions_body = container_body.getMaxs() - container_body.getMins();
					vector dimensions_door = container_door.getMaxs() - container_door.getMins();
					if ( (dimensions_body_x * dimensions_body_y * dimensions_body_z) > (dimensions_door_x * dimensions_door_y * dimensions_door_z) )
					{
						// removeFrobPeer() available since TDM 2.11
						container_door.removeFrobPeer(container_body);
						container_body.removeFrobPeer(container_door);

container_body.setFrobable(0);

sys.println("[MOD] Smart Containers: '" + container_body.getName() + "' disabled at " + container_body.getWorldOrigin());
					}
				}
			}
		}

} while (container_body);

TDM Modpack 4.0

2 hours ago, wesp5 said:

@Dragofer, is this different to what you provided to me for the patch already in the middle of 2022? If so, what are the advantages?

I believe my version also used spawnclasses (froblock + frobdoor) to identify frobable containers, but the volume comparison is new and may help improve accuracy in edge cases. The removeFrobPeer function is also new, but since the body is already being set to non-frobable I'm not sure of the added benefit of this function.

17 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

[...] The removeFrobPeer function is also new, but since the body is already being set to non-frobable I'm not sure of the added benefit of this function.

My concern with your attempt was that some containers (jewelry boxes, cashboxes) could not be closed back, and that's because of the "frob_peer" arg these objects come with:

"editor_var frob_peer" "Name of other entity that should also highlight when this entity is frobbed. Multiple names can be given with 'frob_peer1' and so on."

Hence why removeFrobPeer is useful here.

Edited by snatcher

TDM Modpack 4.0

I must have checked more than 50 missions at random myself but if anyone wants to cooperate with the investigations...

Modified containers get logged in the console. Launch a mission, bring the console down, look for suspicious names, go chest hunting 🙂

Smart-Containers-Console.jpg

(you want to set noclip as well)

TDM Modpack 4.0

15 hours ago, Dragofer said:

I believe my version also used spawnclasses (froblock + frobdoor) to identify frobable containers, but the volume comparison is new and may help improve accuracy in edge cases. The removeFrobPeer function is also new, but since the body is already being set to non-frobable I'm not sure of the added benefit of this function.

What is the advantage of the volume comparison? Should I include it in my patch too? Also I don't really understand what the result of the removeFrobPeer function is, wouldn't this prevent containers from being closed again?

8 hours ago, wesp5 said:

What is the advantage of the volume comparison? Should I include it in my patch too? Also I don't really understand what the result of the removeFrobPeer function is, wouldn't this prevent containers from being closed again?

The volume comparison checks that the "lid" mover is actually smaller than the "body" froblock, which is probably true for almost all containers and probably only for some non-container setups. So its an additional indicator.

RemoveFrobPeer seems redundant because setFrobable(0) is already being used to completely remove all frobability. Unless some other script reenables frobability of the body?

1 hour ago, Dragofer said:

RemoveFrobPeer seems redundant because setFrobable(0) is already being used to completely remove all frobability. Unless some other script reenables frobability of the body?

Once again, RemoveFrobPeer is necessary for containers with "frob_peer" args, such as jewelry boxes.

RemoveFrobPeer may also come in handy for "double doors" if there is a need to unlink a door from its twin. I haven't tested it yet, though.

TDM Modpack 4.0

Yeah, I just noticed and fixed this myself. As for the other issue, you were right too :(! My version does not work with jewelery boxes so with your permission I would like to use yours because this is quicker than fixing Dragofer's because I don't understand enough coding to do so ;). Thus I can upload a hotfix right now :)! Dragofer once wrote me a similar solution to yours, but I couldn't use it because a critical showcase in one mission couldn't be opened as only the body is frobable. Sadly I don't remember which mission that was, so let's hope that your body to door size check prevents this!

Edited by wesp5

10 minutes ago, wesp5 said:

with your permission

No need to ask. I am 99% sure my solution is ok 🤪

By the way, a few minutes a go I added this to the opening post:

------------------------------------------------

TDM Modpack vs. Unofficial Patch

The TDM Modpack and wesp5's Unofficial Patch are incompatible since both the Pack and the Patch use a similar approach to mods.

With the release of TDM Modpack v2.8 I consider the most relevant features of the Unofficial Patch have been matched, superseded, improved, or simply implemented in different ways. More importantly, the TDM Modpack is not only tightly packed and it has a minimal impact in your install but it achieves more by altering less core files, meaning more compatibility and less maintenance. One can, of course, argue.

------------------------------------------------

Thinking of players, only thinking of players, perhaps it is time to consider the future.

TDM Modpack 4.0

1 hour ago, snatcher said:

With the release of TDM Modpack v2.8 I consider the most relevant features of the Unofficial Patch have been matched, superseded, improved, or simply implemented in different ways.

How about the most important one, has your mod also removed the k.o. immunity yet ;)?

The Classic Blackjack Mod has very clear rules:

Some AI are KO-immune and cannot be KOed:
* Undead, creatures...
* Guards wearing heavy helmets (to respect TDM vision)
* Other: set by mission authors for the plot, in example

The rest of AI can be KOed, just aim for the head:
* Civilians: Can always be knocked out from any direction
* Combatants: Can always be knocked out (including when fleeing) from any direction except when in high alert state (normally in combat mode)

What is it that you did exactly and with what purpose, please?

TDM Modpack 4.0

4 hours ago, snatcher said:

What is it that you did exactly and with what purpose, please?

I didn't change anything about the basic blackjack rules, but what annoyed me a lot when I first played TDM (and is rather unrealistic  too in my opinion), is that if a guard gets alerted he will from one second to the other become k.o. immune. Like once he has his sword out, you just can't even knock him out from directly behind! I fixed this by setting many NPCs to "ko_alert_immune" "0".

Edited by wesp5