The Dark Mod Forums

Mission versions

Is it possible to populate the version numbers of missions into missions.tdminfo somehow?

Let me explain. Frequently, when downloading fms through the menu, the download fails midway and the whole program shuts down. When this happens, I'm left with missionname.pk4 in my fm directory. When I restart the program, it does unpack the pk4s and put them in folders, and it does populate the entry in missions.tdminfo but it does not populate the version number of the downloaded mission, so those missions show up starred as though there is an update available forever.

Is there any way I can fix this?

The game application change the fm-version automatically. 

How about complete removing the folder of the mission in the fms folder. And download the mission again.

Does this happen with other missions too? If so, please give everyone write permissions to the darkmod folder.

How to do this, see the notes of the instructions for windows in your wiki: https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Installer_and_Manual_Installation#Windows

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Maybe I need to explain better. First, I'm using the linux version 2.10. Here's what actually happens: First, there is a high chance that any given mission will fail to download midway, crashing the executable and leaving a _missionname.pk4 in the fm folder. This has always been the case for years. Maybe this is what happens when the server is too busy or something. That's no problem. I can just delete the pk4 and try again.

The problem comes into play when you download more than one mission at a time, or presumably also if you manually download missions from the website. Let's say you download 2 missions. The first mission downloads correctly. Then let's say the second one fails. When it fails, the dark mod executable crashes. Now you have mission1.pk4 and _mission2.pk4 in your fm directory. You can just delete _mission2.pk4 and restart the dark mod, and it will create a folder for mission1 with manifest, but in missions.tdminfo it will just have an entry:

tdm_missioninfo mission1
{
}

It does not populate the version number automatically. Presumably this would also happen for people that manually downloaded the missions too. The only way to successfully get darkmod to automatically populate the version is if both mission 1 and 2 had successfully downloaded through the menu the first time without crashing. If you download a few missions at a time this is pretty much impossible, so you would have no recourse but to keep redownloading the same missions over and over that really had already downloaded correctly.

In other words the dark mod executable is only triggered to populate that version number under very specific circumstances. Maybe there is another way to do it that I don't know. Or if I could manually edit missions.tdminfo I would, but I don't know what it wants there, becuase often the mission readme will say "version 1.1" when really the file expects to see "downloaded_version" "2" or something.

Is that clear as mud? It's difficult to explain. ;)

You might want to report that crashing as a problem all on it's own. If there's some sort of problem during the download, it should present some sort of message rather than just crashing. (so something funky is going on there, it seems?)

Edited by draeath
clarification