Jump to content
The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: In Plain Sight by Frost_Salamander (2022/08/07)


Recommended Posts

Congrats on the release! Downloading now :)

{ 0 | 🞵 } = funk_tastic

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

                                      Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

                                                                                                  A House Call

                              

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've only just started this, and it looks great so far.  One small anomaly I encountered was that when loading the mission for the first time the Dark Mod logo (the gear with the light rays behind it) did not just play once as it normally does, it kept playing over and over.  It was only when I pressed Esc that I was able to move on to the briefing screen.  Not a major issue, of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fond of your first FM, I was quite eager to jump into this one. The story had me hooked right away. Pretty great idea on your part - putting the player in the shoes of an infiltrator tasked with unraveling a conspiracy and searching for a missing agent. You really managed to find a good reason to give the player the incentive to steal while playing a character who is not a thief by nature.

The map is well designed, with plenty of paths one can take to reach another place. As I am fond of tight alleyways and verticality, this was a joy to explore, especially since there is plenty to discover, be it secrets or readables adding to the story. The rain was neat and added to the gloomy atmosphere, another thing I enjoy in FM's. The optional side objectives were a neat addition too. The only difficulty encountered was that at times I had to abandon my current path and hunt for a key to unlock the way forth, but nothing to seriously disturb the flow of the FM. 

Found 3/5 secrets, so there is still more for me to explore. The secrets are really well hidden and yield nice rewards, I'll get back on the weekend and hopefully find the remaining two.

Thanks for another wonderful FM!

Possible bug

Spoiler

After escaping the trap through the exit in the garden, I have decided to explore the map a bit more and eventually went back into the crypt via the secret switch entrance in the church again. This resulted in the conspirators respawning in the main chamber where they originally were. They did not react to my presence and I could knock them all out.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Marbrien said:

I've only just started this, and it looks great so far.  One small anomaly I encountered was that when loading the mission for the first time the Dark Mod logo (the gear with the light rays behind it) did not just play once as it normally does, it kept playing over and over.  It was only when I pressed Esc that I was able to move on to the briefing screen.  Not a major issue, of course.

Hmm I'm not sure what's causing that issue with the menu, but thanks for raising it 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Kopfrkingl said:

Fond of your first FM, I was quite eager to jump into this one. The story had me hooked right away. Pretty great idea on your part - putting the player in the shoes of an infiltrator tasked with unraveling a conspiracy and searching for a missing agent. You really managed to find a good reason to give the player the incentive to steal while playing a character who is not a thief by nature.

The map is well designed, with plenty of paths one can take to reach another place. As I am fond of tight alleyways and verticality, this was a joy to explore, especially since there is plenty to discover, be it secrets or readables adding to the story. The rain was neat and added to the gloomy atmosphere, another thing I enjoy in FM's. The optional side objectives were a neat addition too. The only difficulty encountered was that at times I had to abandon my current path and hunt for a key to unlock the way forth, but nothing to seriously disturb the flow of the FM. 

Found 3/5 secrets, so there is still more for me to explore. The secrets are really well hidden and yield nice rewards, I'll get back on the weekend and hopefully find the remaining two.

Thanks for another wonderful FM!

Possible bug

  Reveal hidden contents

After escaping the trap through the exit in the garden, I have decided to explore the map a bit more and eventually went back into the crypt via the secret switch entrance in the church again. This resulted in the conspirators respawning in the main chamber where they originally were. They did not react to my presence and I could knock them all out.

 

Thanks - glad you enjoyed it 🙂  And that is indeed a bug, I'll need to get that fixed!

EDIT: @Kopfrkingl I just quickly tried to reproduce that, and couldn't.  Also, the mechanism used should prevent that from ever happening, and it never seemed to happen in beta testing.  Could you maybe DM me the details of how it happened?  Thanks

EDIT 2: Nevermind, I figured it out.  Will patch this today.

Edited by Frost_Salamander
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm playing on the hardest difficulty, and have

Spoiler

opened the safe in the bank vault.  I cannot frob the contents. 

Is that intentional? 

Spoiler

(I know the break-in is supposed to be staged, but wouldn't opening the safe and not taking the contents raise suspicion as to how authentic the break-in was?)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Marbrien:

Spoiler

No it's not intentional.  This happened to someone in beta-testing only once, and they reloaded and it worked.  I have never been able to reproduce it myself.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just came out of TDM completely, restarted and loaded my latest save game, but the safe contents (three gold bars and two purses) do not highlight.  I've tried crouching, leaning forwards, leaning sideways, jumping, but no joy. 

I'm wondering whether I have a corrupt download.  If I redownload the game and reinstall it, will I lose my save games?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Marbrien said:

I just came out of TDM completely, restarted and loaded my latest save game, but the safe contents (three gold bars and two purses) do not highlight.  I've tried crouching, leaning forwards, leaning sideways, jumping, but no joy. 

I'm wondering whether I have a corrupt download.  If I redownload the game and reinstall it, will I lose my save games?

Maybe try closing and re-opening the safe door?

I don't know the answer about your save games - maybe try backing them up to make sure first?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Marbrien said:

Closing the safe door and reopening it did the trick.

This actually happens to me fairly often in TDM. Usually with chests. I don't think it has anything to do with this mission specifically.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How do you get out the first area? 

Been to the pub and secret potion place in the window ledge.

Got the Inn Key and the watchtower key, neither of which work on that one door near one of the railings, and I can't pick it either.

Spent the last half hour or so just running round in circles getting nowhere.

Where do I go?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Apache Fiero said:

How do you get out the first area? 

@Apache Fiero: hint:

Spoiler

You need to get into the Post Office.  There is a hint of where the key was lost in the note on the post office door, which you should have in your inventory.

outright spoiler:

Spoiler

The post office key is on the patio behind the Inn, near the table and stools

 

Edited by Frost_Salamander
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Frost_Salamander said:

Maybe try closing and re-opening the safe door?

The problem happens when there's an atdm:target_set_frobable inside a chest or drawer or whatever, targeted by the lid or drawer.  The contents can't be frobbed until the lid or door is fully opened and the atdm:target_set_frobable flips the switch on the loot from unfrobable to frobable.  If the door opening is interrupted before fully opening the player gets the glitch.  This happens very easily on stuff like desk drawers where the player is standing right in front and the drawer stops when it hits the player.  

A way to avoid the glitch is to set the spawnarg "push_player" to "1" (default 0) so the drawer or whatever will push the player aside and continue opening.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mawerick said:

This actually happens to me fairly often in TDM. Usually with chests. I don't think it has anything to do with this mission specifically.

I don't know if it is related, but, I had that with a cage a few weeks ago as well. When I closed the door and opened it again, I could frob the content.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


  • Recent Status Updates

    • nbohr1more

      Anyone have any luck with light.setShader( string ) ? It seems to make whichever light you apply it to full-bright on the initial invoke?
      · 0 replies
    • thebigh

      I'm starting to think we need another mapping contest.
      · 4 replies
    • kano

      Don't you hate it when there's a quality discussion on a forum somewhere online about something, but then two disagreeing users derail and transform it into a back-and-forth poo slinging competition at one another?
      · 9 replies
    • Diego

      Oh look the status updates are back! 
      · 2 replies
    • JackFarmer

      After watching the first three and a half episodes of "The Sandman" last night, I realize once again that overly imaginative narratives are not for me. Also, the main actor looks like he has a toothache.
      Which makes me wonder, is there a Dark Mod mission with a medieval dentist?
      · 4 replies
×
×
  • Create New...