The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: In Plain Sight by Frost_Salamander (2022/08/07)

Frost_Salamander

23 hours ago, Frost_Salamander said:

That was a critique during beta, so I went around and opened most of the openable ones.  Was it really still an issue?

Not that badly, sorry if I'm overthinking it. It's mostly that the same window models are used for static decorations that go into nothingness, as well as interact windows connecting buildings. What did help is functional windows were left semi-open by default so you could see them, that made it better.

6 minutes ago, MirceaKitsune said:

Not that badly, sorry if I'm overthinking it. It's mostly that the same window models are used for static decorations that go into nothingness, as well as interact windows connecting buildings. What did help is functional windows were left semi-open by default so you could see them, that made it better.

nah no worries, I'm probably the one overthinking it.  Any and all feedback is appreciated, just want to make sure I understand it!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, datiswous said:

I found it cool that if you knock out someone, dump him in the water, he will die after a while and you fail the mission. In a lot of missions this does not happen.

IIRC that's a default effect. Unconscious AI dying in water due to drowning, if the objective is set up right it should pick up on it. Forgot if AI know how to swim or even living AI instantly die if they touch deep water.

12 minutes ago, MirceaKitsune said:

Forgot if AI know how to swim or even living AI instantly die if they touch deep water.

Well I've seen in multiple missions that when ai is knocked out you can do whatever you want with it, it will not die (except for killing). 

Edited by datiswous

• 3 weeks later...

Btw. @Frost_Salamander fantastic mission! Didn't expect it to be this big.

A small gripe is that often in rooms there's not enough space, so you get stuck when you open things, or ai have no space to properly fall after knockout, etc. I guess maybe you first build rough rooms and later fill them, but then if space is cramped you can't easy fix that.

Another thing I noticed is that there are big jumps in performance, for me between 30fps and 160fps.

Here some screenshots with comments about minor things I encountered.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, datiswous said:

Btw. @Frost_Salamander fantastic mission! Didn't expect it to be this big.

A small gripe is that often in rooms there's not enough space, so you get stuck when you open things, or ai have no space to properly fall after knockout, etc. I guess maybe you first build rough rooms and later fill them, but then if space is cramped you can't easy fix that.

Another thing I noticed is that there are big jumps in performance, for me between 30fps and 160fps.

Here some screenshots with comments about minor things I encountered.

thanks for the feedback - always useful.  The small rooms/cramped feel is somewhat intentional.  If playability issues were mentioned in beta I likely would have made changes, but I don't recall any around that (but I get what you're saying).

Regarding the performance drops, it would be handy if you can remember what areas they were in and your hardware setup?  I'm aware of a couple of areas where it might drop on lesser hardware.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, datiswous said:

I think they were often scenes with volumetric lighting. I can't recall precisely. It was not problematic. Performance in most scenes was actually very good considering how good everything looks. But I could sometimes turn the view around and get a drop by 100fps.

Here are my system specs:

ok thanks.  I definitely didn't get any reports of 100 FPS frame drops in beta or since release.  Sounds like I'll need to get you to beta test my next FM 😉