The Dark Mod Forums

Working on a world map of every named location as well as other things

Kukutoo

The basic simple national map, the reason for the detailed coast vs the non detailed coast is because these are areas depicted in maps in game. 
Also, no known mention of banners or colors of Menoa, so the silly banner I made is just a place holder. image.thumb.jpeg.0b6574f620632c78cde3a5cd583f6008.jpeg

Edited by Kukutoo
  • Like 1

Also I am trying to make a second draft of the population guess of the world. 
Its going to be so much more researched and in depth. 

Edited by Kukutoo
  • Like 2

This is very cool, I always wanted to see all the FM locations compiled into a single map. I can just about read some of the annotations - maybe try using an image hosting site like Imgur to upload the image in a better resolution?

For my own FM locations, I have the following to contribute:

• Wrecker's Reach (Perilous Refuge): I imagined this to lie somewhere along the Atlantic Ocean, probably on its own island. It used to lie along an oceanic trading route that's no longer in use.
  • Newfoundland (One Step Too Far): this would be very far up north somewhere in Northern America, coming close to abutting Greenland. There's even a province with that name in Canada.
  • Thornton Hall (Down by the Riverside): along a river, quite distant from large cities. It takes several days to get there by boat from Bridgeport, having to navigate a labyrinth of inland rivers. It could be near the marshes that border Menoa (aka Marsh of Rahena by ERH+, as well as his Crystal Grave).
  • Knife's Edge, a relatively secluded location along the coast, and not too distant from that Cedar Island, a location out in the Atlantic Ocean - both will be explored in my WIP missions.
  • Like 3

Dragofer! ITS a honor! I love down by the riverside! I have played that one multiple times! 
I feel the same thing for Thorton hall! I believe it to be very far from the city! 
I actually already have it on the map, with its two accompanying manors of West field and Ruthershire! 

I was wondering about Newfoundland too! at the moment I have a place holder for it (faroe islands) But I am thinking as you said, would work better as Greenland! 

Have yet to play though one step too far for this survey yet.
image.jpeg.c725fcd8bddb58c37426b2c177d1df1b.jpeg
I just have to say I love how many FM take place outside of bridge port, it really gives so much life to the world! 

31 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

This is very cool, I always wanted to see all the FM locations compiled into a single map. I can just about read some of the annotations - maybe try using an image hosting site like Imgur to upload the image in a better resolution?

For my own FM locations, I have the following to contribute:

• Wrecker's Reach (Perilous Refuge): I imagined this to lie somewhere along the Atlantic Ocean, probably on its own island. It used to lie along an oceanic trading route that's no longer in use.
  • Newfoundland (One Step Too Far): this would be very far up north somewhere in Northern America, coming close to abutting Greenland. There's even a province with that name in Canada.
  • Thornton Hall (Down by the Riverside): along a river, quite distant from large cities. It takes several days to get there by boat from Bridgeport, having to navigate a labyrinth of inland rivers. It could be near the marshes that border Menoa (aka Marsh of Rahena by ERH+, as well as his Crystal Grave).
  • Knife's Edge, a relatively secluded location along the coast, and not too distant from that Cedar Island, a location out in the Atlantic Ocean - both will be explored in my WIP missions.

• Like 1

Wow that’s really cool! I imagine it can’t have been easy.

In my mind The Empire is still much larger in footprint in Western Europe as it’s just beginning to be eroded at the edges (and to allow it be as bloated, subdivided and inefficient as possible) but I can also see an argument for the more Holy Roman Empire scale.

Are you considering doing Bridgeport and all its wards as well? That would be quite interesting.

• Like 3

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

Thank you! 
Its been a little tedious, I have a paint.net doc with 12 layers because I find places make more sense in other locations down the line! lol 

I see the Empire as slowly reaching but over all neglecting its land boarders, being more interested and self centered on Bridgeport. 
It has occurred to me as of last night I should start a catalog of every mentioned battle within the universe and mark where they happened as well. 

I am considering doing the dreaded bridgeport. As of right now I am just making a list of all the wards and areas that are mentioned within. 
|More or less a in depth catalog and survey of the empire.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Wellingtoncrab said:

Are you considering doing Bridgeport and all its wards as well? That would be quite interesting.

Seconded! The map of this corner of the world is great; I wanna get out of the city and do some big secluded forts and esoteric wizard's towers in the wastes at some point, but it'd be cool to see all the locations within the city marked on a cutaway too. 

• Like 1

Thanks man! 
Still a lot to do! OH Yeah cant wait to see it when it happens then!! 

I should of kept a record on FMs that mention places, I think it was one of the earlier ones I played. I honestly can not tell you sadly. 
I should start marking locations we never go, where and when they are mentioned. 

First I have to say, I Love your maps, they are amazing and through the Bank robbery maps I got one of my friends hooked for life in the DM. 
Second, I feel intimidated coming up with the cities lay out as of right now, I feel I need to learn all the names of the wards first still. 
BUT then I will totally give it a try. 

But yeah! I love though, that Bridgeport is the center of the world, how often we leave her to see other corners of the empire. 

• Like 1

It does not seem to be France though, thanks be to the builder. 
But by the names it seems there are Italians, Germans, Danes, English, and Frenchmen. 
The western empire, or Bridgeport, seems to be a collection of countless manors and fifes of varying cultural origin. 
I am composing a list of every named person in the dark mod as well. It is as much a wip as the rest of this stuff. 

There's a distant overseas location mentioned in my mission A House Call, depicted on a map. There's enough information to pinpoint it exactly on a globe, which should be a fun exercise (so will playing the mission of course 🙃).

Edited by thebigh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

8 hours ago, wesp5 said:

I always wondered why Bridgeport is set in France when all the names clearly suggest is it located in England. Isn't this only due to only single in-game map? Does this really make sense?

I second that. Not to mention that the use of fictive names and locations in addition to the whole anachronical setting implies it is a fictive world either way, so placing it on a real world map seems odd to me.

I personally never considered my missions to be part of a world were the rest of the missions play, or that all missions are part of the same world. That is neither necessary nor helpful, as it would imply that mappers consider and reference the work of other authors. Some may do this in some extent if they liked the work of someone for example, but I am not sure it is a common thing.

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

To facilitate the creation of new maps, the Watabou pages can perhaps help (Procedural created maps, cities and buildings, among others, OpenSource, online) 

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Like 2

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

As I was saying, I am doing this out of my own love for the DM and all the work people have given it over the years, my main passions are history and demography. I felt that I could put my love to work and just give a silly little gift that is not meant to be taken seriously. 

The map of Europe being used for the universe is based off of maps that have appeared in dozens of DM levels, and if a DM level ever places a area on a map in relation to Bridgeport I would reference that in particular. 
I know Sam Wilson: Eastbound had a map that I used to place a half dozen locations. The Accountant series also has a few new maps that confirmed locations too. 

But I really do find a lot of charm in this low fantasy world, where things are recognizable but very different. 
In Iris, we get confirmation that there is a island known as Corsica, and in Down by the river side we hear of Newfoundland, and in general the Arabian men are known as Moors. 
So its a pleasant mix of oddities and supernatural things, and subjects that we can draw a lot of relation too. It may be my favorite fantasy universe of all time. But a lot of that comes from the absolute community effort made to create it. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wesp5 said:

I always wondered why Bridgeport is set in France when all the names clearly suggest is it located in England.

There is no “France” or “England” in TDM so this seems fine to me. Even if we want to be pedantic before the Romans conquered this part of Western Europe it was “Gaul” which I believe was Celtic and not particularly “French”. French is derived from Latin so if the Roman Empire never dies France/French is never born. English is a Germanic language with a large proportion of Latin words - ie the language of conquered tribes intermingled with that of their conquerors - seems plausible for this part of Western Europe in this setting.

Which is that something akin to the Roman Empire has persisted for basically 2000 years - presumably there would be more homogenization and integration of the disparate conquered cultures over this time.

Even though we focus predominantly on Bridgeport, having a framework for the greater world and it’s potential history is useful to enrich the setting even if it’s just to name drop a distant place or rival power center. A lot of fantasy settings ground themselves somewhere, even if it’s just is in just some understanding of history or existing mythology. Even Middle Earth still takes place on actual Earth.

• Like 2

Yeah, Westeros is clearly "modelled" after Great Britain.

I always imagined that the Dark Mod universe would be as well. I think it's a great idea to create a general map, but, I think the location shouldn't be in France. 😊

The climates already won't fit. As far as I know, the north is supposed to be pretty cold, and mountainous, e.g.

If you want to orientate on a specific region, I'd suggest the British island. Maybe north France as the warm desert region where the meditarranean types hail from.

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 1

I know it is heard to conceive but Bridgeport isn't in France - as once again France does not exist. It cannot be British as there is no Britain.

Here is a map of the dispersal Celtic language speaking tribes, which included the Britons, up to 275 BC prior to Roman conquest. Notice how this encompasses the British isles and most of France including “Bridgeport”.

6C52B751-1DCB-40AC-96E3-FECE05FF98A3.png.58122325d135eb77bc0043d5ce07284b.png

Edited by Wellingtoncrab
  • Like 2

... assuming that the universe isn't some kind of parallel universe, where similar regions actually exist.

I always thought of the Thief universe as a parallel universe, considering the locations, factions, and things happening in the world are purely fantasy.

Anyway, who am I to suggest what the creative people here do. :) If you want Bridgeport in France, then it is France. I just say that I wouldn't have thought that it is in France, and that I wouldn't have put it there if I was doing a map.

I guess the whole point of orientating on real life regions is because it's easier than imagining and creating a whole new world.

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 2