The Dark Mod Forums

Unofficial Patch

wesp5

Me? just passing by... the features offered by the game are pretty much complete to great success.

I don't know what happened in the past but it seems nowadays all modding effort goes into missions and I miss a more general modding scene. A "pick what you like, enjoy it your way" thing.

The game is well supported, the people behind have clear and reasonable goals, new releases with bug-fixes and improvements come often and mods can help in keeping games relevant for longer, at least, as far as re-playability goes. This is the reason I stumbled across the Unofficial Patch rather quickly: there was nothing else to choose from. Once again, thanks for your pioneering work.

TDM Modpack 4.0

1 hour ago, snatcher said:

Me? just passing by... the features offered by the game are pretty much complete to great success.

You are too modest ;). While most core developers concentrate on performance and visual improvements, you were the only one besides me who directly looked into adding new global gameplay features! I still have to test your card deck and I'm curious what else you are cooking up right now. I believe that TDM can indeed cope with some more of the kind :)!

Edited by wesp5

1 hour ago, wesp5 said:

@Dragofer, are you reading this? Can this be fixed in your froblock script?

I'd at the very least need to know which jewelry box (screenshot) and the FM where the bug was found, preferrably with coordinates (getviewpos console command).

• 5 months later...

I updated the Unofficial Patch to work with the just released 2.11 version of TDM.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/addons/the-dark-mod-unofficial-patch

Version Changelog:
------------------

v1.8                                                      13.02.2023
----
Added peek through door keyhole skill, thanks snatcher and Dragofer.
Restored original Holy Water arrows for backup, thanks to snatcher.
Improved handling of lit lights that start unlit, thanks nbohr1more.
Made mantling while carrying somebody possible, thanks to snatcher.
Updated patch for TDM 2.11 and fixed bad map icon, thanks Daft Mugi.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have updated the patch for 2.12, here is the changelog:

v2.0                                                      04.03.2023
----
Added names being shown on frobing bodies or items, thanks Snatcher.
Resorted mission list including "A" and "The" in alphabetical order.
Updated to version 2.12 and removed several fixes that are included.
Moved helper options from the gameplay page to the difficulty page.

1 hour ago, wesp5 said:

How does TDM support this? I thought this was only possible using third party software or Snatcher's mod.

I believe datiswous is referring to this new 2.12 feature:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Posted (edited)

I figured this was only done to avoid missions breaking if they add their own stuff. Checking out the link above it doesn't seem to work with init scripts where most of the changes of the patch are. If I rename the tdm_user_addons file I get an redeclaring user_addon_init error and if I rename that, all the patch scripts are gone. So what am I doing wrong here?

Edited by wesp5

You followed the conventions here:

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=A_to_Z_Scripting:_Script_addons_for_players

and created your own tdm_user_addons_wesp5.script ?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

You followed the conventions here:

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=A_to_Z_Scripting:_Script_addons_for_players

and created your own tdm_user_addons_wesp5.script ?

Yes, but I used the user_addon_init script inside and this seems to also be in the core files so I got an redeclare error. I renamed that script and weird enough, on my home system it's working fine now :)! Maybe I made a typo earlier...

Edited by wesp5

@wesp5

You have a couple of def on the loose in the script folder in version 20(.8)

10 hours ago, datiswous said:

Since TDM now supports multiple mods to be active, you could split your mod in multiple mods doing different things. Just an idea.

Thinking of players, and players alone, it is time to re-think the Unofficial Patch, yes.

TDM Modpack 4.0

I think the ask from datiswous and perhaps dragofer is that you split your patch into different parts so users can install the ones they like from both you and other mod authors. The new 2.12 feature is designed to allow this.

I really don't see a need for this. The two core features of the patch are removing the K.O. immunity and extinguishing of oil lamps. If you don't want the former you don't need the patch at all and if you don't want the latter, just don't do it. The rest are smaller changes and some new skills from Snatcher's mod, so if you only want those you better install his mod :)!

My impression was that the unofficial patch has become a large collection of various tweaks and features by various authors, or at least that's what it was being marketed as. Making it modular has significant advantages for those who might want certain parts, rather than the exact same combination as the one you endorsed. It also makes your patch collection more futureproof in case you add stuff that not everyone wants to have.

In any case, it's advisable to at least adapt the file structure to the new addon conventions so that players are able to install other addons alongside yours.

Open questions for all.

As a mere player, have you ever modified other games? Have you installed unofficial fixes, patches, updates, upgrades, expansions, mods? Were you happy it all was well documented? Were you happy that you could control what was being installed? Were you happy that it worked? Were you happy that you could install other stuff alongside without problems? Were you happy that you could uninstall it? Did you care about the authors or flame wars going on in obscure places of the internet?

Players download stuff, sometimes read the instructions, install it and judge it.

----------------------------------

My friend Wesp5,

Listen to the feedback. As a start, I would like to see the patch, or parts of it, in pk4 format. If you were to split your patch into standalone mods, which mods would you produce?

TDM Modpack 4.0