The Dark Mod Forums

Polyhaven CC0 Asset Packs

Wellingtoncrab

The problem with new, high poly assets like this is that they make our older assets, including the AI, look like crap by comparison.

Nice stuff. In regards to the first video. The default sitting animation doesn't really suit this kind of chair. It looks like those used to get you shoes cleaned, so I am not sure whether they are fitting anyways.

In regards to the other models it appears the the specularity of the wooden materials is higher then with our stock assets. So reducing that might already get things closer to the current look.

I am not sure whether poly count/details is always the main issue when it comes to how good assets fit into the mod. I would assume it is more a matter of the overall look.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

12 hours ago, Springheel said:

The problem with new, high poly assets like this is that they make our older assets, including the AI, look like crap by comparison.

They do look like crap anyway, just because of how much time have passed. But that's okay, you did what you could, with knowledge and tools that were available to you back then.

Does that mean though, that any efforts to bring better assets to the table should be discouraged?

4 hours ago, peter_spy said:

Does that mean though, that any efforts to bring better assets to the table should be discouraged?

No, I just wish we had someone who could improve our AI/animations in the same way.

7 hours ago, Obsttorte said:

The default sitting animation doesn't really suit this kind of chair. It looks like those used to get you shoes cleaned, so I am not sure whether they are fitting anyways.

I think it’s a barber chair as well - more of a Victorian feel which I think can work with the setting - some custom animations would definitely add a lot. There was some question on the discord whether ai would be able to sit in it at all given it’s height and the step so it at least it works (with help from a bit of monster clip)

In regards to the other models it appears the the specularity of the wooden materials is higher then with our stock assets. So reducing that might already get things closer to the current look.

This is very tricky to get consistent across lighting conditions - the “showroom” light is fullbright which kind of exaggerates the effect and they (hopefully) look more natural in scene lighting. All of the four revisions contained some amount of tweaks to specularity on the materials always still working on that!

I am not sure whether poly count/details is always the main issue when it comes to how good assets fit into the mod. I would assume it is more a matter of the overall look.

Yeah I would say while I think it’s gotten better over time, until recently  video games have seemingly never been afforded the opportunity to be concerned with consistency in terms of fidelity across assets. If you look at the xbox 360/ps3 area where things like asset streaming from disc and memory management were much more constrained the fidelity of assets was all over the place. The detail was of course typically weighted by an assets prevalence in a scene, so you could still argue TDM is at a disadvantage there, but it’s just to say I think you can still have a consistent visual style with varying levels of detail across assets.

Bad news would be that kind of consistency is just as hard to achieve. That being out of whack I think is at a glance more likely to cause a player to feel something is out of place.

There is obviously some problem with these assets in that they were never intended to be art in an engine like this. The low detail diffuse from a PBR material with the high level of geometric detail on the models themselves instead of say the normal map means they are never going to get as much out of the engine as efficiently as something which was built for the ground up for it.

Still … the price and license arrangement is right.

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Am I correct in thinking that the pier kit (and some other stuff) didn't make it into 2.11?  Not complaining, but just wondering what the rationale behind the choices as to what to include and what to exclude was?

EDIT: by the way @Wellingtoncrab thanks so much for doing these (and the cobblestones too). It was a pleasure to be able to have these at my disposal when making High Expectations. IMO this is just as important as engine updates (at least for plebs like me who can't do their own assets 😜 ).

Edited by Frost_Salamander

@Frost_Salamander you’re welcome! I am happy to see them showing up in missions.

By the time assets were being pulled into 2.11 I had gotten a lot better at optimizing these types of models (which is not say I am still particularly any good) so all the ones that made it into core received additional optimizations and are generally lower poly than the ones in the pack.

I had hoped to do the pier set as well - but that set in particular is tricky as far as baking down to a lower poly version and I couldn’t finish it in time.

Edited by Wellingtoncrab
Typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kin said:

Interesting. Can dark radiant import and render those in game? Have you tested them?

Yes I have a few assets I have messed around with converting and bringing into game but nothing finished. I thought maybe the next pack in the series would be a nature pack but didn’t get around to it. The process is the same more or less as the other polyhaven assets in this thread except you are contending with more alpha textures and the starting tri counts for these sort of organic objects can be quite high.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2023 at 6:37 PM, Wellingtoncrab said:

Yes I have a few assets I have messed around with converting and bringing into game but nothing finished. I thought maybe the next pack in the series would be a nature pack but didn’t get around to it. The process is the same more or less as the other polyhaven assets in this thread except you are contending with more alpha textures and the starting tri counts for these sort of organic objects can be quite high.

The truth is that this pacage of vegetation is more complex to implement in game and it will need some sort of reduction to work. I would dare to say it needs animation, collision sounds and maybe casting alpha shadows.

I imagine every vegetation model acompanied with a variety of sounds  like birds, leaves moving during animated gusts of wind and cicada sounds, making it a whole ecosystem that spreads out occuping a large amount of gamers perception with very small amount of mapping around it.

Edited by kin