The Dark Mod Forums

Monomyth

chakkman

Just wondering if any of you is as looking forward to this game as I am.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/908360/Monomyth/

I just hope it doesn't end up in development hell, with all the small things the dev is implementing (which are very cool though). It actually, as usual for crowd funded games, was set to be released years ago. But, it looks like it will be released this year, at least.

The demo is awesome, by the way. Highly recommended.

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 1

Wasn't aware of this, but I had quiet some fun with dungeon crawlers in the early past (Legend of Grimrock and Vaporum, both parts respectively), so I guess I should give this a shot.

It's also nice to see that at least in the low budget sector demos seem to become a thing again. I really don't know why this has vanished so much (and people seem to have accepted this trend).

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

1 hour ago, Obsttorte said:

It's also nice to see that at least in the low budget sector demos seem to become a thing again. I really don't know why this has vanished so much (and people seem to have accepted this trend).

I guess that it's less relevant when you can return digitally purchased games with less than 2 hours or play time (as it is on Steam).

37 minutes ago, chakkman said:

I guess that it's less relevant when you can return digitally purchased games with less than 2 hours or play time (as it is on Steam).

Not really considering that you spend sometimes almost two hours setting the game up. And to be honest I don't want to run a timer just to make sure I don't accidently buy a game I just wanted to test.

I guess it goes more in the direction of it's less relevant when there is a steam sale every couple of weeks. If I don't have to pay ful price for most games I play I may not care if there are a few that turned out to be not good. But whether this is in the interest of the game devs is questionable at least.

10 minutes ago, Obsttorte said:

Not really considering that you spend sometimes almost two hours setting the game up. And to be honest I don't want to run a timer just to make sure I don't accidently buy a game I just wanted to test.

I don't think it's really fixed. You might be able to return games with 4 hours play time. ;)

Don't think they'd allow much more than that though, understandably. People who rush through the games might be able to finish the game in 6 hours.

Edited by chakkman

Actually, as far as I know, it's a single dev. Even more amazing considering the quality of the game and the demo.

I just hope that he doesn't entangle himself in too much details. But, reading the development articles he frequently writes, he seems to have a good plan.

Looks interesting. I'll try the demo, but I can tell in that trailer I'm definitely not going to enjoy the weapon/torch being held the way they area, and their bob animations being in parity. I hope there's a day when games stop covering so much of the screen with weapons/run fists and unrealistic bob/sway anims for them

Edited by Darkness_Falls

Albeit claiming to revive the virtues of the dungeon crawling genre it is not a dungeon crawler. Besides that it feels and looks as clumsy as games did 20 to 30 years ago. Whether this is something good idk. Definetely not for me, though.

4 hours ago, Obsttorte said:

Albeit claiming to revive the virtues of the dungeon crawling genre it is not a dungeon crawler. Besides that it feels and looks as clumsy as games did 20 to 30 years ago. 

Isn't that completely exaggerated? Maybe you should play a game from 30 years ago, and re-consider your position. ;)

But, it should be clear that a single dev with a budget of roughly 50.000 € can't do an AAA game, in terms of animation and operation. You should really play the demo though. It's much more playable, and much less clumsy than you claim it is. Actually, it's pretty amazing for a low cost production.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chakkman said:
  1. Isn't that completely exaggerated? Maybe you should play a game from 30 years ago, and re-consider your position. ;)
  2. But, it should be clear that a single dev with a budget of roughly 50.000 € can't do an AAA game, in terms of animation and operation.
  3. You should really play the demo though. It's much more playable, and much less clumsy than you claim it is. Actually, it's pretty amazing for a low cost production.
  1. It is. It's a common method to stress the point made. (e.g. This chili burns like hell!)
  2. I don't expect a AAA game, and haven't claimed to do so. If the dev decides to create a project that is out of the expectable scope of what can normally be achieved with the manpower and budget at hand then it is his decision. But I am not this dudes mummy. I am a paying customer and judge on what I eventually pay for. Why shouldn't I criticise a product just because it is lacking a proper dev team and reasonable financiation?
  3. I have, otherwise I wouldn't make such statements.

As said, I don't expect super high quality. But some points that annoyed me (obviously subjective) are that you cannot drag and drop items in your inventory, for example, making it clumsy to interact with. Another point is that you start with a character creation screen to spend points on attributes and skills, whose explanations are so standarized that they provide no info on how those things affect gameplay at all. Considering the sheer amount of them that is a bad approach. I don't want to start a game with unfounded assumptions just to have to start over again later on because I noticed those assumptions on how the skills and attributes affect gameplay are wrong. The "story" is mainly communicated through readables thus far. This is so common that I doubt this changes later on. But games are an audiovisual medium. If I want to read, I grab a book, not a game.

I simply don't get what would be the reason to play this game. You have pretty much no story to begin with mainly communicated through readables, a skillsystem like in almost any rpg decades ago and an art design with no surprises at all. The "I have seen this before, and it was a loooooooong time ago" feeling is pretty strong for me. This is subjective to some extent, of course. Some might find the game entertaining, some might be able to ignore some shortcomings because it is a one man team and some of the points that bother me might be completely irrelevant to others while they find enjoyment in aspects of the game that I don't care about.

We don't have to agree on something that is subjective per definition. :)

This is definitely an interesting game. I'm glad I tried out the demo. It certainly doesn't feel clumsy nor does it behave like anything from 20-30 years ago. It's smooth and solid, has a good pace, great sounds, gorgeous terrain and landscapes, although I haven't quite figured out the inventory system yet. I feel like there should be more use of the mouse wheel where right now there isn't. I'd actually say it feels a bit to me like Thief 4 than anything else in the genre. I'm going to keep playing it and I do think it has a lot of potential.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...