atio6axx.dll!00007ffe5c79cc74()	Unknown
 	atig6pxx.dll!00007ffe9665c18c()	Unknown
 	opengl32.dll!pgldrvLoadAndAllocDriverInfo()	Unknown
 	opengl32.dll!LoadAvailableDrivers()	Unknown
 	opengl32.dll!__DescribePrimaryPixelFormat()	Unknown
 	opengl32.dll!wglNumHardwareFormats()	Unknown
 	opengl32.dll!wglSetPixelFormat()	Unknown
 	gdi32full.dll!SetPixelFormat()	Unknown
 	wxmsw32u_gl_vc14x_x64.dll!wxGLCanvas::FindMatchingPixelFormat(const wxGLAttributes & dispAttrs, tagPIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR * ppfd) Line 1068	C++
 	wxmsw32u_gl_vc14x_x64.dll!wxGLCanvas::Create(wxWindow * parent, ...) Line 769	C++
 	wxmsw32u_gl_vc14x_x64.dll!wxGLCanvas::Create(wxWindow * parent, int id, ...) Line 750	C++
 	wxmsw32u_gl_vc14x_x64.dll!wxGLCanvas::wxGLCanvas(wxWindow * ...) Line 690	C++

The code is trying to construct a render window, it's heading off somewhere into the ATI drivers where it dies.

It appears that this is something that changed between DR 3.2.0 and DR 3.0.0, at least for you? DarkRadiant 3.2.0 uses the newly released wxWidgets 3.2.0, which seems to be the only relevant change here to me. The GLWidget code hasn't been changed at all for a couple of releases, so maybe it is a problem with wxWidgets 3.2.0 constructing the GLCanvas in a different way than before.

20 hours ago, greebo said:

It appears that this is something that changed between DR 3.2.0 and DR 3.0.0, at least for you?

Yes indeed but DR 3.0.0 like I said also crashs but is after, not during initialization and is random, sometimes it crashs, sometimes it works fine.

Btw If other AMD users aren't getting the same behavior, it may very well be my particular PC configuration, I did some stuff to this computer that may not be desirable, like hot swapping the entire motherboard, the CPU and the GPU for new hardware without reinstalling windows, it works fine (and I've read online that windows is ok with it) in pretty much I do but it could influence DR somehow?  

Edited by HMart

I've tried to look for similar reports like this, but there's nothing that sounds like the problem here. That might also be due to GLCanvas not being used that much (and wxWidgets 3.2.0 itself is not that widespread yet to begin with). At this point I can only speculate, since I haven't access to any AMD hardware at the moment.

I can offer to look at a crashdump you produce with DR 3.0.0, and see if its trail is also leading to the AMD drivers.

On 9/12/2022 at 4:24 PM, greebo said:

I've tried to look for similar reports like this, but there's nothing that sounds like the problem here. That might also be due to GLCanvas not being used that much (and wxWidgets 3.2.0 itself is not that widespread yet to begin with). At this point I can only speculate, since I haven't access to any AMD hardware at the moment.

I can offer to look at a crashdump you produce with DR 3.0.0, and see if its trail is also leading to the AMD drivers.

Sorry if late but if still useful, here is a memory dump of the DR 3.0.0 crash. :) 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ws7FFyG15NTp-q8GuGnWUMKTUVwkoCpY/view?usp=sharing

20 hours ago, HMart said:

Sorry if late but if still useful, here is a memory dump of the DR 3.0.0 crash. :) 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ws7FFyG15NTp-q8GuGnWUMKTUVwkoCpY/view?usp=sharing

No luck with this dump, but in this case I think the log file should show something that lead to the crash.

• greebo unpinned this topic