The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 3.3.0 released

Does proper instalation of this new version include uninstalling the old one, or does it overwrite?

AND do I have to backup my Radiant files still?

Edited by Deep

Yer the nicest func_mover I've ever met.

Nice work! DR just keeps getting more and more awesome. :)

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

2 hours ago, Deep said:

Does proper instalation of this new version include uninstalling the old one, or does it overwrite?

AND do I have to backup my Radiant files still?

The installer (I think) is overwriting everything in the installation directory, as far as I know, it doesn't remove any previous installation. But I might be wrong on that, since I rarely use the installer myself on my development machine.

You don't need to backup your user settings, since version 3.0 every new minor release (3.x) is using its own separate settings folder and is not overwriting settings from previous versions anymore.

Ok, thanks for the reply. I'm only wanting one version of DR on my system and didn't know if I'd end up with 2 sets of settings or a mixed bag o' files ( of those not being over written). Excited to develop with the newish rendering capabilities and shadows etc.

- one more thing greebo, will DR ever support "overbright" for lights.... I'm asking for a friend. ( please say yes) lol

Reason- exporting lighting to other platforms is a tricky business, but absolutely necessary for what I'm doing. It seems that the  light intensity in DR is very low when brought into other rendering software. I know the Q4 editor allowed for this, and was usefull.

- anyway thanks for all yer hard work! 🥸

Yer the nicest func_mover I've ever met.

13 hours ago, Deep said:

- one more thing greebo, will DR ever support "overbright" for lights.... I'm asking for a friend. ( please say yes) lol

Reason- exporting lighting to other platforms is a tricky business, but absolutely necessary for what I'm doing. It seems that the  light intensity in DR is very low when brought into other rendering software. I know the Q4 editor allowed for this, and was usefull.

There is a lightscale setting in the .game file, which can be used to make lights brighter or darker in DR's render view. Not sure how this could help when exporting scenes to other engines, but that's about the only thing we have here to adjust light brightness globally, other than changing every light in the scene.

See for example doom3.game, Line 133:

<lightScale>2</lightScale>

While upgrading to 3.3.0, BitDefender antivirus reports this:

"The file E:\games\DarkRadiant\modules\sound.dll is infected with Gen:Variant.Tedy.207462 and was moved to quarantine. It is recommended that you run a System Scan to make sure your system is clean."

Should I be worried?

I don't think that the file has problematic code in it, but I can't prove it to you. I'm afraid these positive detections happen every now and then, something is triggering the scanners.

Uploading the sound.dll file to the online scan services shows this: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/7fe3607c7dd33cfee7cef53d0ccbdd3142a9f8860cfe24d639c4be043136c4dc
It confirms that BitDefender doesn't like the file, for what it's worth.

I could look into creating a checksum of the uploaded files next time I create a release, but this doesn't really add much value other than you're being able to prove that the file's the same as the original on my system. If the sound.dll gets infected on my machine while I build the release, the checksum would still be matching.

One could make sure and compile DR from source code, to rule out anyone messed with the released files on my computer or on Github.

• Like 1

I still have the bug where the 2D ortho views don't show the outline on brush selections.

I built from source this morning and ran it with local debugging on, and when I draw a new brush in an ortho view, visual studio shows:

Exception thrown at 0x00007FF965B3477C in DarkRadiant.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: std::invalid_argument at memory location 0x000000000014EB40.
Exception thrown at 0x00007FF965B3477C in DarkRadiant.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: std::invalid_argument at memory location 0x000000000014EB40.

And it keeps throwing that error as I drag the brush around. Might be related?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

• 2 weeks later...

In DR 3.3.0 if I try to resize a light attached to an entity, the light model itself moves.  This doesn't seem to happen in 3.2.0.  Is this a setting somewhere, or has something changed?

4 hours ago, greebo said:

Is this option enabled on your end?

image.png

Yes that was it.  It was enabled in 3.2.0 and disabled in 3.3.0.

Where is that preference stored?  For some reason, I thought user preferences were shared across DR instances (i.e. stored in user home directory).  Or is that not the case?

Only asking so I can rule out different settings in multiple instances of DR before raising something in the forum/bug tracker...

I don't recall changing anything in that regard, I didn't rename or change anything between these two releases. But it's easy to click on one of those toggle buttons by mistake, I'm doing that myself here and then.

• greebo unpinned this topic