The Dark Mod Forums

New Contest: Speedbuild or 3 month?

nbohr1more

New Contest: Speedbuild or 3 month?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should we start a new mission contest soon?

2. 2. If so, should it be a Halloween Speed-build, Thanksgiving Speed-build, Tradional 3-month ( December ), or longer ?

• Halloween Speed-Build
    • Thanksgiving Speed-Build
    • December ( Traditional 3 month )
    • Long Term ( 6 months, 1 year, etc )

Is there any renewed interest in a mission contest?

Now that I've created the poll, I am kinda partial to a Thanksgiving contest since it straddles the fall \ winter seasons ( my favor TDM seasons ).

• Like 4

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I COULD (heavy emphasis on this) be interested in another contest. I'd probably do something very, very small, but it would be fun to get a bunch of Autumn themed FMs

I'd definitely be interested in a Halloween speed build.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

16 hours ago, datiswous said:

Thanksgiving is not international enough I would think. But do correct me.

yeah, not really, but several cultures do have harvest festivals, so it can still be around that same theme. Plus I'm tickled by the idea of an FM where Corbin has to steal a frozen turkey for his family dinner because the butcher was sold out

Edited by Amadeus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Wellingtoncrab said:

“Banking Holiday Speed Build Contest”

"It's the perfect time to raid the vault. All the bankers are on vacation, and only the crappiest guards are willing to work on a City holiday. It's time to begin."

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

A Halloween theme would be awesome but it's admittedly tight.

You could do a three or five room contest and get a good number of entries that fast though.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

3 hours ago, demagogue said:

You could do a three or five room contest and get a good number of entries that fast though.

Smaller missions can be very scary and atmospheric. If we get missions of the calibre of Langhorne Lodge or Spring Cleaning, we should be more than happy.

• Like 1

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

How about a "Public Holiday" theme - but a holiday that is celebrated in Bridgeport. It would be interesting to see different takes on what holidays might be celebrated there - and possibly weird traditions associated with them. Is a PH good for our protagonist (businesses closed, lax or drunk guards) or is it bad (revellers in the streets, commitments to friends or family)?

This seems to me to make more sense that basing it on a RL public holiday that wouldn't be celebrated in Bridgeport anyway.

Edited by boissiere
typo
  • Like 1

Reagrdless of how the vote goes, I hope we will have more regular contests in the future.

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

26 minutes ago, thebigh said:

Reagrdless of how the vote goes, I hope we will have more regular contests in the future.

agreed. the key is just keeping em small, I think. Lord knows Written in Stone was wayyyy larger than we wanted it to be

• Like 2

An idea for a submission requirement (I mean something that gives a mapper more points if they include it):

Missions which are designed so that the vine-arrow, moss-arrow, mines and flashbombs are more useful than in most other missions. These tools are universal, but often aren't so necessary to use and the vine arrow is often not included at all.

1 hour ago, datiswous said:

An idea for a submission requirement (I mean something that gives a mapper more points if they include it):

Missions which are designed so that the vine-arrow, moss-arrow, mines and flashbombs are more useful than in most other missions. These tools are universal, but often aren't so necessary to use and the vine arrow is often not included at all.

Why not go one further and make that the theme?  I think that's a great idea - there has been a lot of discussion recently around tool availability/use and their relation to mission design.  Maybe a contest to showcase how they can be used creatively would help remind us all how useful (or not LOL) they can be?

• Like 1

Most of the poll voters have chosen December as the best option.

Due to the close deadline, if anyone wants to sign-up for a Halloween speed build I will assist with scoring and promotion but I will not manage the participation aspects. I think that the Halloween speed-build is unlikely to attract more than 2? participants based on interactions seen thus far so it may not be worth it to proceed but do not let that discourage you from releasing a mission on Halloween if you are already prepared to do so.

I will do a December contest proposal tonight if I get a chance.

• Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)