The Dark Mod Forums

2022 "Horror for Christmas" Contest

nbohr1more

Horror for Christmas Poll Format  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Story Quality and Theme ( Stars )

2. 2. Gameplay Quality ( Stars )

3. 3. Visual Quality ( Stars )

Likewise, I was thinking of secretly finalising a very horror-themed mission for this contest but time got the better of me. Nevertheless it's budged yet closer to release.

• Like 1

Wow :( I thought there would be at least 3. That's sad...

Anyways, with all this arctic air heading here for Christmas maybe I can get my own FM going. The one I've wanted to build for decades (meant for T2) is quite elaborate, but maybe I should just start with one that works (with flowing water, that's where it crashed for me, in TDM lol) 

With the new desktop it shouldn't be many issues anymore. Let me ask you this. Dark Radiant, what's the latest version these days? Do I need any more drivers or other stuff like graphics & such. I still got PhotoShop 6, so it's still cool to do new stuff too for wallpaper, paintings. Problem is, my old hdd. I don't want to open the new pc to install my old hdd as a slave just yet. There's other ways, these days. No CD/DVD on this one either. Using my old laptops external thing from Samsung to install older stuff like T2 & T3, but there seems to be an issue with Win 11. I'll figure it out eventually.

Were you doing horror themed too?

Not into those really. Mansion/Castle maps is the original of my idea. It's actually the lay out of Bamburger Castle in the UK.

So, if there is no contest, yet, how far to plan for a new one?

Valentine's?

On 12/15/2022 at 11:56 AM, Dragofer said:

Likewise, I was thinking of secretly finalising a very horror-themed mission for this contest but time got the better of me. Nevertheless it's budged yet closer to release.

I don't know. That mission with the lady stuck in a large wooden box with a single light and a thief to test how her scare factor ranks is quite horrific.

Ship it!

4 hours ago, Daft Mugi said:

I don't know. That mission with the lady stuck in a large wooden box with a single light and a thief to test how her scare factor ranks is quite horrific.

Not really, I think it was horrific for the AI more than anything else. Well, maybe a small segment of the playerbase enjoys spooking our AIs.

11 hours ago, Acolytesix said:

Were you doing horror themed too?

hm? Who are you talking to?

Here you can find the latest version of DR: https://www.darkradiant.net/  . Install it and see if it runs. If you run into problems you can check if you need special drivers or whatever, but I don't think so.

You can buy a hdd-dock to connect your old harddrives.

11 hours ago, Acolytesix said:

Anyways, with all this arctic air heading here for Christmas maybe I can get my own FM going. The one I've wanted to build for decades (meant for T2) is quite elaborate, but maybe I should just start with one that works (with flowing water, that's where it crashed for me, in TDM lol) 

Maybe you can make a smaller version and update it later in a future v2. Or in a sequal. I personally haven't started because of a lack of clear idea of a story and location (I have some rough ideas). Currently I also started an online course (GDScript), so don't have time for it anyway.

8 hours ago, Dragofer said:

Not really, I think it was horrific for the AI more than anything else. Well, maybe a small segment of the playerbase enjoys spooking our AIs.

Haha, yeah. Ah, well, I was being facetious.

But, in all seriousness, those screenshots you shared got my imagination going. It reminded me of the movie "Cube" (1997) and other movies like it. People are trapped in a horrific, bizarre, and nonsensical place where they have to avoid traps, solve puzzles, and find a way to navigate a maze. An FM in that theme might be interesting or at least an interesting experiment in gameplay. Maybe it would be a bit like Portal 1 & 2 but dark and horrific.

Anyway, I look forward to whatever mission you are making, regardless of its release date.

That's easy, just ask a bunch of devs to upload their test maps and work from there.

9 hours ago, datiswous said:

I personally haven't started because of a lack of clear idea of a story and location (I have some rough ideas).

I actually had an idea for a contest where the community submits mission ideas and the best ones get distributed randomly among the contest participants.

• Like 1

Because no entrants made it this year, all eligible FM authors will be visited by the ghosts of darkmod past, present, and future.

The spookiest outcome of all!

( "Ghost of darkmod past" politely asking you to purchase a copy of Doom 3 so he can haunt you... )

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

2 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

Because no entrants made it this year, all eligible FM authors will be visited by the ghosts of darkmod past, present, and future.

The spookiest outcome of all!

Not if they can use TDM 2.11 dev work as an excuse and never formally announced their participation...

• Thanks 2

I'm technically working on one but no way I'll finish it on time since it's barely half done, especially with a DarkRadiant bug plaguing me following a system change. Will be fun to follow this and see which makes it: I played most FM's by now so I'll probably know what it's about, if not I'll get to enjoy something new again!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Black Arrow said:

Aww man, I was hoping this contest worked but then I noticed no new missions from month 6 to this year.

Yeah I think every mapper had a huge burst early this year but is still reeling from the exertion. I do know one of Grayman's legacy missions "Seeking Lady Leicester" is about to go up for beta around now.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dragofer said:

Yeah I think every mapper had a huge burst early this year but is still reeling from the exertion. I do know one of Grayman's legacy missions "Seeking Lady Leicester" is about to go up for beta around now.

What do you mean "legacy missions"? It's an old mission that got a remake?

Either way, I don't think I know what that map is, it should be fun to play, thanks for the info.

On 1/2/2023 at 12:06 PM, The Black Arrow said:

Aww man, I was hoping this contest worked but then I noticed no new missions from month 6 to this year.

Well, it's not entirely new, but there's the reworked version of Sneak & Destroy, if you're really desperate! 😋

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...