The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 3.4.0 released

The layer hierarchy is very welcome!

edit: it doesn't seem to work when compiling from code on Linux...

Edited by thebigh

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

I'm getting this while trying to package for Debian:

CMake Error at cmake_install.cmake:554 (file):
  file INSTALL cannot find
  "/build/darkradiant-3.4.0/obj-x86_64-linux-gnu/install/bitmaps/darkradiant_icon_64x64.png":
  No such file or directory.

I'm currently preparing a patch, will make a PR soon. PR: https://github.com/codereader/DarkRadiant/pull/31

Edited by coldtobi
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2022 at 4:08 PM, thebigh said:

The layer hierarchy is very welcome!

Did you file a bug report yet?  I noticed that I can drag the layers, but dropping them doesn't do anything.

On 10/9/2022 at 10:08 PM, thebigh said:

I just pushed a fix to issue #6129 to github, I think it'll be working now

42 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

I still have the issue with the brushes not being highlighted when selected in ortho views, clearly an AMD thing though.

I wish I could do something about it... I have no machine with an AMD card around, neither at home nor at work, or anybody I know.

3 hours ago, greebo said:

Yep, it's working now

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

6 hours ago, greebo said:

I wish I could do something about it... I have no machine with an AMD card around, neither at home nor at work, or anybody I know.

You can remote into my desktop and run whatever tests you need to.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I'm running linux; darkradiant compiled from source (most recent commit of master).

In the 'Regular' and 'RegularLeft' window layouts keyboard input doesn't work at all. Some windows (console or media browser) don't open.

The layer dialog does not work as supposed. I can't assign a parent layer by drag and drop. Hiding through the checkboxes does nothing. Everything else seems to work.

Maybe not a bug:

When the media browser is shown (or some other window with a search function) the search field captures keypresses. Which is really, really annoying and disruptive.

Edited by Baal

10 hours ago, Baal said:

In the 'Regular' and 'RegularLeft' window layouts keyboard input doesn't work at all. Some windows (console or media browser) don't open.

I can reproduce this. It doesn't surprise me much since these legacy GtkRadiant layouts are hardly maintained or tested these days. I recommend using the Dockable layout instead and dragging the dock windows to the positions you want.

10 hours ago, Baal said:

The layer dialog does not work as supposed. I can't assign a parent layer by drag and drop. Hiding through the checkboxes does nothing. Everything else seems to work.

I also see the checkboxes not doing anything. Drag and drop partially works for me, although I can only create a parent relationship. I cannot find a way to unparent a layer and bring it back to the top level.

10 hours ago, Baal said:

When the media browser is shown (or some other window with a search function) the search field captures keypresses. Which is really, really annoying and disruptive.

I think the Dockable layout would avoid that problem too (because the media browser would no longer be a top-level window).

these legacy GtkRadiant layouts are hardly maintained or tested these days. I recommend using the Dockable layout instead and dragging the dock windows to the positions you want.

I much prefer the old behaviour of opening the media browser or entity view in a temporary window. This way you can make them comfortably large and they dont't waste screen space when you don't need them (which is most of the time).

I think the Dockable layout would avoid that problem too (because the media browser would no longer be a top-level window).

Mostly yes. But it is still a problem. You cannot quickly switch to the media browser and then back to another view. I think this behaviour of capturing keys and stop shortcuts to work as expected is bad. If it's not to difficult to implement, I would say ditch the automatic search on keypress.

22 hours ago, OrbWeaver said:

I also see the checkboxes not doing anything. Drag and drop partially works for me, although I can only create a parent relationship. I cannot find a way to unparent a layer and bring it back to the top level.

Gotta love these little platform-specific differences. The wxDataViewEvent sent in wxGTK is not delivering the correct column, so the event handler is not reacting. I rewrote the event handler in #6130, the checkbox should work now.

About the drag-and-drop: this is another problem that seems to affect wxGTK only... in Windows, I can drag the layer to the top border of the view and it will deliver an empty target wxDataViewItem, which means make it toplevel - in wxGTK it doesn't seem to be possible to drag it to the top.(*)

I can think of two possibilities right away

• either restrict the system such that the Default layer can never have child layers. Dragging a layer onto the Default layer will make the dragged layer a top-level layer
  • Add a context menu item called "Make Top-Level"

I don't like either of the two very much. Suggestions?

(*) Yes, there's a guard in the wxGTK event handler:

wxDataViewItem item(GetOwner()->GTKPathToItem(path));
if ( !item )
   return FALSE;

this prevents any empty item from being forwarded to the event.

Yep, hiding layers via the checkbox works for me now as well. Rearranging the layers is still a bit unintuitive but that's no big deal.

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

I think the drop indicators are out of my control, they are subject to the platform wxWidgets is running on.

But I'm open to suggestions, if anyone has ideas on how to improve the hierarchy arrangement.

39 minutes ago, Baal said:

Is it possible to reorder layers with drag and drop?

It's sorted alphabetically right now. The layers don't persist any sort order in the map files.

40 minutes ago, Baal said:

Parenting and unparenting layers works; but it is trial and error.

Yes, drag and drop works much better in Windows, the wxGTK port is not giving good visual feedback about where you're going to drop the layer. 😑

After working with the layer hierarchy for a bit, I've come to the conclusion that only the leaf nodes should contain geometry. You can't easily select  a parent node alone; you have to move its contents to a child if you want to do that.

So instead of making one node the child of another node, they should be selected, then grouped. That would create a new, empty parent with the grouped layers as children.

Unless there is some error in my thinking, this makes more sense to me.