The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 3.4.0 released

There's no restriction on which layer you decide to put your map elements. The layer hierarchy is a purely organisational help, it doesn't impose anything to the map itself, all the layers are equally capable, whether a child layer has been assigned to it or not.

Why can't you select a parent node alone? If you need that parent layer exclusively, right now you have to select the layer, then de-select the child nodes one by one. I could add a context menu option to select just the parent layer without children.

6 minutes ago, greebo said:

Why can't you select a parent node alone? If you need that parent layer exclusively, right now you have to select the layer, then de-select the child nodes one by one.

Yes, but that is so inconvenient that I would never put something in a parent. So, while the restriction doesn't have to be there, in practice all parents would be empty.

The workflow would then always be to create an empty layer, and then put the other layers beneath it. That should be automated (with layer grouping feature).

• Like 1

On 10/13/2022 at 6:11 PM, greebo said:

About the drag-and-drop: this is another problem that seems to affect wxGTK only... in Windows, I can drag the layer to the top border of the view and it will deliver an empty target wxDataViewItem, which means make it toplevel - in wxGTK it doesn't seem to be possible to drag it to the top.

The odd thing is that GTK itself can clearly distinguish the two cases, because I see different "drop destination lines" when dragging to the top of the view (one line above) versus dragging onto the first layer (one line above and one line below).

On 10/13/2022 at 6:11 PM, greebo said:

(*) Yes, there's a guard in the wxGTK event handler:

wxDataViewItem item(GetOwner()->GTKPathToItem(path));
if ( !item )
   return FALSE;

this prevents any empty item from being forwarded to the event.

So wxWidgets itself is actually swallowing up the event, even though it would actually be useful and consistent with the Windows behaviour, and the purpose of wxWidgets is for creating cross-platform UIs? I can't really see the logic of that, but I guess it was probably introduced to fix some bug without really considering the consequences.

Add a context menu item called "Make Top-Level"

My suggested UI would be to add a couple of buttons (which are more discoverable than a context menu), perhaps next to the existing rename and delete buttons since the New button already has more than enough width. One button would move the selected layer up by 1 in the hierarchy, and the other would move it all the way to the top.

• Like 1

I just noticed that DR allows duplicate info_player_start entities in the map (you can just clone them).  Is this intentional?  If so how can it be leveraged?  If not do we think this is a bug?

• Like 1

I could not install

libjpeg8 libjpeg8-dev

but  debian_lxde found and took

libjpeg6-turbo  plus .dev

there are some path problems and i asume the next path should be filled in automaticly which is attempted a least 9 times while darkradiant is opened

Auto-saving registry to user settings path.
XMLRegistry: Failed to save path /darkradiant/user/ui/colourschemes

the install uses capitals as a difference ? DarkRadiant instead of darkradiant. the map 'user' as mentioned here does not exist either. i can make them, no problem, but what does DR expects ??

7 hours ago, CrisiusXIII said:
XMLRegistry: Failed to save path /darkradiant/user/ui/colourschemes

This is an XPath, used to handle the internal DR registry (it's XML). I'll have to fix that warning some time, but right now I don't think it's critical.

On 10/11/2022 at 6:53 PM, greebo said:

I just pushed a fix to issue #6129 to github, I think it'll be working now

Could this fix alone go into a 3.4.1 ? Otherwise I might have to go back to build from source (using 3.4 flatpak version now, but layers is completelly broken). Sorry if this sounds a little demanding, I'm just not sure how long I have to wait for 3.4.1 or otherwise skip to build from source temporarly.

I'd like to finish working on the user interface changes, it's taking shape already. A release is always a chunk of work, and since Linux folks tend to compile from source more than Windows users, I'd be inclined to not push out an emergency release. I won't be too long till 3.5.0, I'd like to keep the pace of doing a release every 2-3 weeks anyway.

The UI changes are rather substantial, this is why it takes a bit longer than usual. After getting that back into master, I'm going to fix the most urgent issues like crashes or other annoyances, and 3.5.0 is done.

• Like 4

On 10/25/2022 at 9:00 PM, greebo said:

I'd like to finish working on the user interface changes, it's taking shape already. A release is always a chunk of work, and since Linux folks tend to compile from source more than Windows users, I'd be inclined to not push out an emergency release. I won't be too long till 3.5.0, I'd like to keep the pace of doing a release every 2-3 weeks anyway.

The UI changes are rather substantial, this is why it takes a bit longer than usual. After getting that back into master, I'm going to fix the most urgent issues like crashes or other annoyances, and 3.5.0 is done.

Please say darkmode please say darkmode please say darkmode....

• Like 2

• greebo unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2022 at 11:54 AM, Goldwell said:

Please say darkmode please say darkmode please say darkmode....

You can just build it on Linux (in vm) with dark theme activated. 😉

Not everything looks good in dark mode though. Lots of icons are not designed for it and therefore are difficult to see.