The Dark Mod Forums

Professional Guards

Springheel

Professional guards are fairly well trained and cost more than house guards to hire. They have decent armour and weapons, and might be dressed in the colours of their employer.

We could easily make some professional guards by recolouring the city guard's tunic and giving them different heads, but we'll probably want other versions as well for variety. Here's a (rough) sketch that's based off the T2 guards.

proguard1.jpg

These guys, like the elite guards are ex military, or even current military. The city would have a standing amy, and all those mercenaries would have to find something to do between battles to earn their pub and brothel money.

THe elite guards I'm currently doing are all platemail and chainmail, so this is a nice transition between the elite and the house guards.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I've just been reinstalling my OS, so I haven't even got Lightwave installed ATM.

Mercenaries were large parts of armies for 1000's of years. THey have no allegiences, they just wander around and fight for the highest bidder.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Nice. So in practice are they tougher or more alert than houseguards? Are they ex-military or ex-city watch? Where did they get their training?

Professional guards are better than house guards in just about every way. House guards are not trained and have poor equipment. Professional guards may not be particularly dedicated to their job, but they at least know what they're doing. They've had military training, or have left the watch for a more lucrative position. Some of them may have been hired and trained by a noble household and are completely loyal to them while other drift around from job to job.

Humm, strange. Most people might defrag, but you wipe it clean, huh? How come? Small hard drive? I swear my programs was a mile long because I hadn't reformatted in about 4 or 5 years I think. 40GB + 6GB here. Nothing much, especially with games starting to be 5GB installations :blink:

I have 80 gigs, but I just like having a fresh clean OS install. Defragging doesn't do the same job. Reformatting leaves your comp as fast as the day you bought it - until it all bogs down again in a few weeks of course.

It only takes 4 hours anyway, including loading all my programs and setting on again.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I have far too many programs that would need reinstalling. Too many games, too many utilities. Just too many.

I usually only reinstall when Windows forces me to do so. Which is mostly when I install some new hardware. Since Windows is stupid and doesn't really cope with major hardware changes I have to do this every few years.

Linux is much better in that regard. Just compile a new kernel and everything is running again. Doesn't need a reinstall every now and then.

Reinstalling is advisable if you happen to install every crap that comes with your email, or you find somehwere on the net. The registry gets so blown up that it slows down your machine a lot. Another bad thing about Windows. So if you do this frequently it's worthwhile to reinstall every now and then.

Gerhard