The Dark Mod Forums

Notes and things.

Knockout Thief

2 hours ago, datiswous said:

Can you do it? I'm writing about the advantage that more people are able to write the ui, and I think websites are for a great part ui's.

If you're asking if I have the ability to make GUIs then yes, you can literally draw them using Qt creator/designer. If you're asking if I'm going to do it for the purposes of this project, probably not right now as I've got barely enough time to play TDM as it is. I just don't think that website development translates well to desktop development. But you are right, these days you'll certainly find more people in general able to do UI development using web-based technologies, so in terms of the availability of people it most definitely has an advantage over traditional native apps.

BTW, that joke about rewriting using Rust is because it's basically a meme in the programming community to rewrite old codebases in Rust because it's more secure or something like that. Plus it has a lot of fanboys. Just wanted to address the confusion. 😃

Edited by Xolvix
  • Like 3

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

7 hours ago, freyk said:

Its a idea, but no. TDM will overwrite that file and the notes will be gone. But the launcher can use the file one of its datasources.

I meant to say that this could be the file to use when adding notes to TDM itself and not another launcher, as half of it, loading and saving, already works.

Edited by wesp5

Well it is easy if you use dotnet 4.7 (or lower), it should run on wine/proton on linux/mac. It is less easy, when you port the code using mono/gtk# (linux/mac). And it is hard, when you port it to another language. (But easy when you share/opensource the code)

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

6 hours ago, freyk said:

Well it is easy if you use dotnet 4.7 (or lower), it should run on wine/proton on linux/mac. It is less easy, when you port the code using mono/gtk# (linux/mac). And it is hard, when you port it to another language. (But easy when you share/opensource the code)

Depending on what it's using, if it's simple enough it should be able to run using Mono on Linux though. Look at how KeePass 2 runs on Linux to see how to run a .NET application in Linux (specifically the Other Unix-like systems section): https://keepass.info/help/v2/setup.html#mono

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It is a nice start.
dont forget  to cleanup your binary folder.

===

For the ones who want to try this launcher:

1. download the 7zip package
  2. open the 7zip file with 7zip
  3. extract only file "TDMLaunch.exe" from folderlocation "TDMLaunch.7z\TDMLaunch\bin\Debug\" to your tdm folder.

Run a mission:

1. When you start this launcher, click on tab "settings", select the needed folders and hit button "scan fm".
  2. This will fill-up the missions table, in the launch tab.
  3. double click on a mission to select it and click on the "Run mission" button.
Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

• 7 months later...
4 minutes ago, FenPhoenix said:

I wanted something to work on, so I decided to just play around with giving AngelLoader integration a shot.

It's not got every feature you might want, but for a day and a half's work it's not too shabby.

https://github.com/FenPhoenix/AngelLoader/releases/tag/tdm_beta_1

The "installed" state works a little differently from the other games. FMs are always "installed", so the green check mark means that the FM is the current one, or "selected" in the game's terminology. Only one TDM FM can be "selected" at once, just like in the game. There is no downloader or new FM version indication or anything like that, you still have to go in-game for that. But you do get easy readme viewing, rating, comment writing, accurate autodetection of title/author/release date/mission count and nice sorting and searching etc. Basically most of the AngelLoader stuff is there and works.

tdm_beta1.png

YES!

Maybe add other columns for things in the wiki?

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Fan_Missions_for_The_Dark_Mod

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I have been using FMSel in Thief2 for years because (I think) it came by default with NewDark and since FMSel allows me to rate missions it just works for me. I never bothered checking for alternatives but I just gave AngelLoader a go and I got it up an running in a breeze. What's more, the Import > FMSel option made its magic and my FM ratings along with the rest of details are all there now in AngelLoader! Very impressive piece of software! I am sold. Thanks for your work.

Of course what caught my attention in the first place is that an application developed by fans of similar games that already includes all the bells and whistles we may wish for suddenly and out of the blue supports The Dark Mod? This is beyond cool. I have been toying with AngelLoader for a few minutes now and and I'm loving it already.

This event deserves its own, dedicated topic.

• Like 2

TDM Modpack 4.0

• 3 weeks later...

A feature to push rating data to thiefguild.com website might be a great idea but apparently thiefguild doesn't have any sort of API . On that note we need to find a way to supply the authentication to thiefguild, make the server acknowledge the supplied authentication data, open/store the session and then send the rating data via POST request.

The hardest part is duplicate submission check and preventing accidental multiple POST request

Edited by taffernicus
  • Like 1

0x237553415B315D3741