The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 3.5.0 released

1 hour ago, JackFarmer said:

When are you actually going to play another mission or two? When you retire? :)

Some day, when my backlog has reached 100+ missions 😅 It might be a ghosting marathon, using a two-week supply of coke, peanuts and diapers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, greebo said:
  • Feature: More customisable layout, all windows and panes can be dragged and arranged
  • Layouts like Embedded, Regular and Splitpane are superseded and have been removed

An excellent step forward. After the recent discussion in one of the newbie threads about limitations of the dockable layout, I was actually wondering whether and when should look into this, but you're way ahead of me as usual.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, greebo said:

Some day, when my backlog has reached 100+ missions 😅 It might be a ghosting marathon, using a two-week supply of coke, peanuts and diapers.

I'm afraid to ask which kind of "coke" would be required for this...

• Like 1

Have to chime in here. That looks absolutely up to date to nowadays standards in the industry. Can't believe you're doing this for free without a monthly subscription. Really awesome!

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I love the layout changes - nice one 👍

However, on another note there is a difference to how commands are reflected in the camera view.  It sounds really minor, but it's very noticeable when working.

As an example, if you say had some objects selected and then pressed a shortcut key for 'hide', the objects would disappear immediately from the camera view.  Now in 3.5.0 they disappear from the ortho view immediately but not from the camera view - you need to right-click on the camera view again before they disappear. It's the same for other stuff as well, like adding entities.

If it's intentional, it may take some getting used to - but I can't say I like it.  If not, I'm happy to raise a bug report?

EDIT: I restarted DR and it went away, so ignore for now.  I'll come back if I figure out what was causing it...

Edited by Frost_Salamander

Can I ask a question about installation? I had an older version installed via Windows Installer. Last month I updated to 3.40 but only as portable version. The good thing was that the portable version read all of my previous settings like colours or even game project setup.

Now for 3.50 I want to remove at least the windows installation which was 2.someting but I fear that this will erase all my custom settings in 3.50 then.

How can I keep my settings and properly update to 3.50? Just download the Windows installer and use the same directory?

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

dr350.thumb.jpg.41f63cc0f9177dff5f7bbb56b6b252aa.jpg

Another question, but regarding layout: I have now 1 main window it seems which is tied to orthoview on the right and I can add multiple new 2d and 3d screens and arrange them on the left. How can I change the main view on the right to 3d? I can edit every "loose window" but not the view on the right:

https://ibb.co/hH2Trnb

Edited by SeriousToni

20 minutes ago, SeriousToni said:

Just download the Windows installer and use the same directory?

That's what I always do - I don't think there is a need to uninstall anything.  If you look in your C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\DarkRadiant folder you'll see it has folders for each DR version which contain settings files.  Every time I've installed a new version it picks up my settings.  If you're worried about it, you can always back up that folder.

Greebo could give a definitive answer on how all this works, but I think you'll be fine just installing 3.5.0 over the old version.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SeriousToni said:

Now for 3.50 I want to remove at least the windows installation which was 2.someting but I fear that this will erase all my custom settings in 3.50 then.

How can I keep my settings and properly update to 3.50? Just download the Windows installer and use the same directory?

There's not much difference between the installer and the portable version. The installer just puts it into your Program Files folder and registers DR in the "Programs and Features" list for uninstallation.

When uninstalling the data in the AppData\Roaming\DarkRadiant folder should and will not get touched, they stick around.

If you plan on going ahead with the portable versions, just uninstall the old 2.x version and keep using the portable one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SeriousToni said:

How can I change the main view on the right to 3d? I can edit every "loose window" but not the view on the right:

It's a limitation of the wxWidgets AUI framework that there is one "center" or "main" pane that cannot be removed or undocked or moved around. But you can swap out the main view with another one with a shortcut, have a look at the Edit > Keyboard shortcuts and look for the ones starting with ToggleMainControl. You should find one with ToggleMainControl_Camera - this one will replace the main orthoview with a camera view. By repeatedly pressing the shortcut you will keep changing between ortho and camera.

• Thanks 1

In addition to what Greebo says about the center view, note that you can freely dock floating widgets on the right as well as the left (or the top or the bottom). Just drag them into position and you will get a visual cue when they are ready to be docked.

• Thanks 1

Gosh.. Since when did the image upload in the forums stop working... Anyway.. I tried out the new view setup - thanks a lot for all the advices.

I positioned a little "attribute bar" to the right. So as soon I select an entity I can see its spawnargs. However what did not matter as it opened as a new window before does come to light now that it is just a small bar: The size of the spawnargs view is really small and there's lots of empty space that could be used for it instead - however I cannot enlarge the attribute / value part of the window - it just stays by a few rows. Maybe I'm doing something wrong - maybe it is a possible new feature in the next update - here is the screenshot: https://ibb.co/PcSmFT2

2 minutes ago, SeriousToni said:

Gosh.. Since when did the image upload in the forums stop working... Anyway.. I tried out the new view setup - thanks a lot for all the advices.

I positioned a little "attribute bar" to the right. So as soon I select an entity I can see its spawnargs. However what did not matter as it opened as a new window before does come to light now that it is just a small bar: The size of the spawnargs view is really small and there's lots of empty space that could be used for it instead - however I cannot enlarge the attribute / value part of the window - it just stays by a few rows. Maybe I'm doing something wrong - maybe it is a possible new feature in the next update - here is the screenshot: https://ibb.co/PcSmFT2

You can in fact make that part larger.  If you hover your mouse carefully on the line right under where it says 'func_static_295' or whatever, the cursor will change to a resize icon, and you can drag it down to enlarge the panel that shows the spawnargs.  It's easy to miss, I think I remember someone else noting the same thing a while ago.

• Thanks 1